Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 10:04 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times

Advertisements

We had a major lightening and LOUD thunderstorm last night. It's very windy and it's not humid at all, yet we're in the red for severe storms today and tonight. Generally, when we have those storms, it's extremely humid~almost like "Southern humid". Guess we'll have to wait and see. If you see that southeastern SD has been hit, say a prayer for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 01:28 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,245,491 times
We'll definitely pray that SD, or anyone for that matter, gets slammed that hard.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:10 PM

Thank you, SA. We may need all the prayer we can get.

CNN was just telecasting a tornado that hit in Ok. At this point, it looks like it just went on for miles and miles in the country, but it did destroy a farm and hopefully no one was at home.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:37 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
8th tornado touches down in OK. Live pictures from Garfield county OK. KWTV on FOX NEWS

Old 05-24-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
8th tornado touches down in OK. Live pictures from Garfield county OK. KWTV on FOX NEWS
Five hours of this same super cell still alive in OK.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Five hours of this same super cell still alive in OK.
Storms will continue until the immediate atmosphere stabilizes. Unfortunately, the dynamics surrounding the supercell leave an environment favorable for maintaining it's structure and leaving the tornado threat imminent for anyone in the path of this dangerous storm. It's truly amazing to watch this unfold on live television, it definitely adds a much stronger perspective.

I have been also tracking this supercell on radar, and it's consistently showing strong signs of rotation, and very little hints that the structure of the cell will change to something more conducive to straight line winds.

On another note, several storms popping up anywhere from South Dakota to West Central Texas -- any of which can go tornadic with a moments notice. If you live in these areas, stay glued to the local news and you're NOAA weather radio.

The best website for tracking these storms on doppler radar, in my opinion is Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground

Old 05-24-2008, 05:06 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,725 times
two tornadoes on the ground near Orlando, OK

Video (http://www.koco.com/video/11098209/index.html - broken link)

Old 05-24-2008, 05:07 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
Storms will continue until the immediate atmosphere stabilizes. Unfortunately, the dynamics surrounding the supercell leave an environment favorable for maintaining it's structure and leaving the tornado threat imminent for anyone in the path of this dangerous storm. It's truly amazing to watch this unfold on live television, it definitely adds a much stronger perspective.

I have been also tracking this supercell on radar, and it's consistently showing strong signs of rotation, and very little hints that the structure of the cell will change to something more conducive to straight line winds.

On another note, several storms popping up anywhere from South Dakota to West Central Texas -- any of which can go tornadic with a moments notice. If you live in these areas, stay glued to the local news and you're NOAA weather radio.

The best website for tracking these storms on doppler radar, in my opinion is Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground
Try the free trail with GRLevel 3, GRLevel3 Main Page. When I don't have the free trail I use WeatherUnderground as well, great stuff.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:09 PM

Amazing footage matty... you may also want to check KWTV's coverage, which most of the major news networks have been showing all afternoon.

NEWS9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports Video

Old 05-24-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Try the free trail with GRLevel 3, GRLevel3 Main Page. When I don't have the free trail I use WeatherUnderground as well, great stuff.
I love GR level X software, unfortunately I have yet to configure my computer to run it effectively. Until then, Wunderground it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes