Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 05:50 PM

6 posts, read 12,125 times

Advertisements

Guys,

I would like to get some advice over here.

I'm currently working in St Louis, MO in IT for an annual salary of 72,000 USD and I have been offered a job in Toronto (Markham) for 80,000 CAD. They will process my work permit.

Do you think it is wise to take up this opportunity leaving the current one?

Also is C$ 80,000 is a good package for a Test Manager who has 8 years of IT experience?

Any advice that you could offer would be of a great help for me to decide.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 05:40 AM

355 posts, read 2,369,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailkish View Post
Guys,

I would like to get some advice over here.

I'm currently working in St Louis, MO in IT for an annual salary of 72,000 USD and I have been offered a job in Toronto (Markham) for 80,000 CAD. They will process my work permit.

Do you think it is wise to take up this opportunity leaving the current one?

Also is C$ 80,000 is a good package for a Test Manager who has 8 years of IT experience?

Any advice that you could offer would be of a great help for me to decide.

Thanks in advance!
First I will say you have a well paid job and it's nice that you would move to another city/country with another well paid job. It will make your move so much smoother.

Now, whether to take the new job or not, the main thing to decide would be the reasons for the change. If your reasons are financial, e.g., to improve your income, or to be able to save more money, etc., that may not be the best reason. Toronto is an expensive city, and even though you are making more money, it may not compensate the larger bills you may face in Toronto. You may find out that at the end of the month you have less money left when compared to your current location.

If the change is to develop new skills, become more specialized, find new challenges in your field, then that may be a good reason, but consider you may be starting from scratch again to make a name for yourself, get a network of colleagues and friends, etc.

If the change is just to find a better place because your current work environment is not as good as you would like it to be, that may also be a good reason, but consider the new work environment may eventually not fulfill your expectations.

So you see where I'm going with this. Only you know your situation, so only you can make the proper assessment. But if you start with identifying exactly why you would change jobs and countries (and leave the "would it work?" for a later stage of analysis), then you would know how compelling (or not) the reasons for the change are.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:33 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,463 times
From a pure financial perspective, $80,000 in Markham definitely doesn't go as far as $72,000 in St Louis, as you know, everything is much more expensive up here from grocery to cars and housing.
If you want to come for other reason, I am not in a position to give advice as it depends on your preferred lifestyle.
Your package seems reasonable in the private sector.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:46 AM

Thanks a lot to both of you!! I still got 2 more days to decide on this.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:06 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,208 times
<REMOVED> link not working

Old 07-10-2010, 04:16 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,294 times
That's a great starting package in my opinion, but you'll be paying much more in taxes over here.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:39 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
<REMOVED> link not working

The link actually worked when I tried it. It only compared cities within the same country, though, but it may still be good to compare within Canadian cities.

If you wanted to compare across countries, the link sent you to a paid website that offered that service.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:04 PM

Can you please send me the link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto