Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:22 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,343 times

Advertisements

It really depends on how your preferred lifestyle is. If you are an urban person, don't be misled into believing that Toronto is in any means close to being a smaller New York. Toronto with a population of 2.5 million, doesn't really give you a big city feeling. Many believe it does because they are from somewhere in the middle of nowhere who have never seen a 50 story building in his life. Toronto's so-called vibrant downtown is not even as big as (not to mention as charming as) much smaller cities such as Boston. Just be careful that you shouldn't expect this city to offer as much as what a city with 2.5 million population in the States does. Remember outside the small downtown core and a few other streets such as Yonge (which we are not proud of), the city is very residential. That's just my personal experience.

However, if you are not a big city person and would want to live in a city of moderate size with clean and safe streets, good life-work balance, and you don't care about bitterly cold winters, $3.5 a gallon milk, and mediocre city architecture, Toronto might be the place for you.

Best suggestion is to come here and experience yourself, maybe for a week. You may fall in love with it, or you may not. Do I love it? I did try at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 08:17 AM

287 posts, read 1,010,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
It really depends on how your preferred lifestyle is. If you are an urban person, don't be misled into believing that Toronto is in any means close to being a smaller New York. Toronto with a population of 2.5 million, doesn't really give you a big city feeling. Many believe it does because they are from somewhere in the middle of nowhere who have never seen a 50 story building in his life. Toronto's so-called vibrant downtown is not even as big as (not to mention as charming as) much smaller cities such as Boston. Just be careful that you shouldn't expect this city to offer as much as what a city with 2.5 million population in the States does. Remember outside the small downtown core and a few other streets such as Yonge (which we are not proud of), the city is very residential. That's just my personal experience.

However, if you are not a big city person and would want to live in a city of moderate size with clean and safe streets, good life-work balance, and you don't care about bitterly cold winters, $3.5 a gallon milk, and mediocre city architecture, Toronto might be the place for you.

Best suggestion is to come here and experience yourself, maybe for a week. You may fall in love with it, or you may not. Do I love it? I did try at least.
You love to complain about it at least.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:46 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dot guy View Post
So... how many threads have you now started trying to put down Toronto? Its not that I can't take criticism of Toronto, but it seems like you make threads of this sort on a weekly basis. If you really hate Toronto this much, then move.
People make positive threads about Toronto on a weekly basis too, why not have a problem with them?
I will do it regularly every time a potential new comer asks about what Toronto is like. My posts reflects how I feel, just like those postings praising Toronto as a great city. I think the new comers need to be well informed, not just from those who love it.
I don't hate Toronto at all. It is a good city. I just can't take it every time someone compares it with places like New York etc because it is simply funny.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:52 PM

39 posts, read 146,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
People make positive threads about Toronto on a weekly basis too, why not have a problem with them?
I will do it regularly every time a potential new comer asks about what Toronto is like. My posts reflects how I feel, just like those postings praising Toronto as a great city. I think the new comers need to be well informed, not just from those who love it.
I don't hate Toronto at all. It is a good city. I just can't take it every time someone compares it with places like New York etc because it is simply funny.
First of all, I thought you were the creator of this thread, which you are not, so my bad. You're more than welcome to express your personal views to someone who is thinking of moving here.

But why can't you take any sort of comparison to NY? Granted Toronto is much smaller and less important, and a very different place, but that doesn't mean there is nothing in common with the two. I just hate it when people throw a fit whenever Toronto and NY are placed in the same sentence together. This whole "we're not good enough and never will be" or " I just can't take it every time someone compares it with places like New York etc because it is simply funny" attitude is one of the biggest things wrong with Toronto. The apathy so many display towards this city is whats holding us back from becoming a truly great city.

And get over the milk prices already.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:02 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,755 times
Well everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Moderator cut: the personal attacks are unnecessary

There are the people that are appreciative when given the luxury of living here, and there are others whom spend every winding second bitching about all they can. You have to accept both worlds.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 09-02-2010 at 10:01 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 06:20 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Move to Toronto,
Take the job
live there till you dont like the place (Which maybe a long time)
Then move back to Cleveland

Old 09-02-2010, 07:31 PM

155 posts, read 453,936 times
I just do not understand for the life of me why anyone would want to move to Canada from the US. With the plethora of cities at your disposal, why do it? You have Los Angeles to New York and everything in between. From the prices of everything and overall cost of living in Canada, it's really not worth it. It also gets very irritating when you see a job posting that says "university degree a must" and then you look down at the compensation and see 12.00/hour. You're living in a nation that a large part of the world can only dream of living; take advantage of it. I can see Cleveland becoming a bit stagnant, move to NY if you want concrete. Move West if you want some of the most beautiful cities (LA, San Diego, SF). I have since taken two jobs and I am working almost 80 hours a week to speed of the process of my moving out of Canada for some of the reasons I listed here, and many others that would just take this thread of course if listed.

With all this being said, it's your decision. This is just my opinion.

Good luck!

Old 09-02-2010, 11:51 PM

18 posts, read 142,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post
I'm another New Yorker considering relocating, I have been researching several spots in and out of the states, and as great as Montreal is, I'm not sure how livingthere would be without a strong grasp of French.

So I'll give Toronto a good long look, Blue Jays are looking good and being a sports guy, thats a plus as I enjoy seeing live sports when I can, seeing the Leafs in person is going to be a tough ticket I'm sure.

If I decide to go through with it, I'll follow up on these boards and let any other people from the States my thoughts.
Well, I've never lived in Montreal, however a close friend of mine just came back from living in Quebec, and her, her parents, and her 14 year old sister haven't learned much french, so I think you'll be fine

Old 09-03-2010, 03:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Problem with Montreal is that just about every job requires Bilingualism from all applicants so when you go for the interview and are asked to speak French you are automatically going to be at an extreme disadvantage.
If you can surpass this hurdle then living in Montreal with English and a marginal comprehension of French is easily doable..
Might be easier to move to Toronto first so that you get all the immigration stuff out of the way then start working on the move to Montreal.

MiD310 brings up a good point about the many American cities to choose from,Canada has Montreal,Toronto and Vancouver, America has probably 100 cities of similar size.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:05 PM

287 posts, read 1,010,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
MiD310 brings up a good point about the many American cities to choose from,Canada has Montreal,Toronto and Vancouver, America has probably 100 cities of similar size.
Well, not quite. The US has only 9 cities with over a million people, Canada has 6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

http://www.learnaboutcanadaonline.in...an-cities.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto