U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-28-2010, 03:10 PM

632 posts, read 778,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Note that Toronto probably won`t be snowy in October...
Yes, that's correct. I was joking. You know, playing the Ugly American? I'll bet that you're now going to tell me the city isn't Maple-Leafy either.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 03:58 PM

5,395 posts, read 5,746,719 times
Have you thought about flying to Toronto? Porter Airlines from Midway to Toronto City Centre Airport is always running deals. That's a lot of time in the car, about 530 miles.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:14 PM

632 posts, read 778,010 times
I find it interesting that nobody has suggested we visit Yonge-Dundas Square. Why is that?

Old 07-28-2010, 05:43 PM

229 posts, read 384,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
I find it interesting that nobody has suggested we visit Yonge-Dundas Square. Why is that?
Because there is nothing at Yonge-Dundas Square.

Ok, that's not completely true. There are special events like free concerts, free films, festivals etc. but most of them takes place in the summer.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:08 PM

74 posts, read 129,934 times
Quote:
This is great--thanks a lot!
I just have a few questions.
What is the Kensington Market? Is it similar to the Maxwell St. Market here in the Chi?

Is the Distillery District still full of distilleries, or have they gone the way of the printers in Chicago's Printers Row?

I don't mind touristy destinations. After all, we will be tourists.

What is wrong with the waterfront?

When you say Toronto doesn't have a big-city vibe--I have heard this before when comparing the two cities--what should I expect? Is it more like Philadelphia? In case you've never been to Philly, it seems like everyone there is a Hipster. It's like Wicker Park exploded all over the city.

Best way to find out the answers to those questions is using Google Map and Streetview, or Wikipedia.

Distillery District is basically bars and restaurants with patio, some small museums/galleries, shops, etc. Sometimes events/activities take place there too. Not literally "distillery" anymore.

Waterfront is supposed to begin to transform, including demolition of Gardiner Expressway (may take 10 or 20 years or more). For now I wouldn't visit there when there is only one full day. Maybe you can stop by and realize how well Chicago's waterfront is arranged.

I'm not saying Toronto does not have a big city vibe, since it has metro population of over 5 million. However, IMO Toronto's architecture falls short when compared to Chicago's famous architecture. I'm just saying you better expect a different ambiance than trying to compare the looks and grandness of buildings/urban fabric.

Talking of Dundas Square, I am personally not a fan of it but maybe you should stop by and check it out, with Yonge Street, Eaton Centre, City Halls nearby. I didn't mention this earlier because I don't think these places are that unique (maybe except for Yonge Street).

Old 07-28-2010, 09:06 PM

4,285 posts, read 9,761,956 times
If you want to try something distinctly whimsical and touristy, try a Hippo tour.

Amphibious Tours of Toronto - Toronto Hippo Tours

Old 07-29-2010, 06:35 AM

705 posts, read 551,740 times
Quote:
I never understood why that corner is called a "Square" to start with. And no, it is not worth "visiting" at all. Simply a Time Square knock-off with hardly any initially intended "urban center" feeling whatsoever.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:01 AM

9,133 posts, read 9,444,541 times
Quote:
Yes, that's correct. I was joking. You know, playing the Ugly American? I'll bet that you're now going to tell me the city isn't Maple-Leafy either.
I suspected as much, but I couldn't resist!

Old 07-29-2010, 05:49 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,930,273 times
Quote:
It's inevitable you'll be passing the intersection... so it wouldn't hurt to check it out and see if any local events are going on.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:15 AM

4,389 posts, read 2,788,768 times
Quote:
Yeah that's right. It's really more like two days. A nine-hour drive, a full day, and another 9-hour drive. So, two days total. Or you could say, Three days, two nights.
With that short of time, I'd do:

1. CN Tower after sunset. Pay the extra money to go all the way up to Space Deck at the top.

2. Visit the Casa Loma Gardens.

3. Spend the rest of the time just walking around the Downtown Streets. Anywhere but especially around the Chinatown/Kinsington Market area. Dundas St. and Spadina Ave. is the best. It would be easiest to park your car and ride the TTC streetcars to get there. If you can find a hotel near one of the streetcar lines, that would take care of the parking situation.

BTW I visited Toronto in October about 15 years ago. It was cold and windy as hell. But I guess it probably wont be any colder the Chicago. So that might not be a problem for you. But if you could go in September, that might be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto