Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:19 PM

29 posts, read 120,172 times

Advertisements

I know its another interracial thread but as resident living in the U.S. I have dated women of my own race(blk) before but I have always been attracted to different types of women especially arab/ indian women. The problem is that there have been alot of Indian girls that have flirted with me in private but are too scared to get in a relationship with me in fear of being ridiculed by conservative friends and family. When I do I see an Indian or arab girl with a guy of a different race, hes always white. To be specific, I live in the southern United States, probably one of the worst places for blacks to engage in interracial dating. I just want to know if Indian/Arab women are more liberal in Canada regarding relationships with black men or are black men just a universal taboo to wherever they are??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 10:23 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,833,255 times
Indians and Arabs are two completely different set of people with different cultures, traditions, and practices. I wouldn't necessarily group them together. In the US, arabs are considered "white" whereas Indians are considered "Asian". Most Muslims will refrain from engaging in interracial dating simply because it's shunned upon by their religion. Indians might be more open minded I presume. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-31-2010 at 10:00 PM..

Old 08-31-2010, 12:54 PM

26,758 posts, read 37,644,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler87 View Post
FYI, Not all Arab people are Muslims, there are some that are Christians
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
I'm aware of that, but an overwhelming majority of them are Muslim.
And many (black) Africans are muslims! Geez, this world is one complicated place!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:28 PM

66 posts, read 279,849 times
I am half Indian, though I was born and raised in the u.s. and with mostly american cultural morays, so I see things differently than most culturally Indian women. I can tell you right now, that culturally, most Indian women(even if they were born and raised in a western country) are very traditional, and protected by their families. Yes, things are changing, but you should take everything with a grain of salt.. In most south Asian cultures(Pakistani,Sri Lankan,Indian,etc.) People MAY date outside of their culture/race, but when it comes to a comittment, don't expect one. I have been through this myself, though I am ashamed to admit it, now knowing how horribly most pakistanis/muslims MEN treat women, and I would never do it again, I did date a pakistani..but it does go both ways, though I would be shocked if a pakistani woman would be gutsy enough to date for fear of her family's reaction..i knew a girl who did this and her father basically disowned her..in my opinion she is better off now. the fact is, even if someone was born here, if they were raised in a very culturally warped environment, they are going to think one way, and it can create a lot of heartache. If they were born outside of a western country and in their home country-don't waste your time. My dad is indian, my mom is white. They met almost 39 years ago and they still have huge problems agreeing on certain things. MY dad has been in the u.s. since he was a teenager, so almost 50 years, and he still has to have things his way and has to work very hard to come to compromises. I am not trying to offend anyone or discourage you, but I am just saying that there is a lot of truth to the difficulty of interracial dating. Even if the person acts very "westernized", believe me, they don't think that way. I would avoid dating muslims, they are VERY religiously warped and think very backward. I'm sure I will **** someone off by saying it, but hey, if you want the truth, there it is. I know some really cool people that are muslim, but ultimately they will either look down on you for not being one of them/try to convert you. Do not go out of your way looking for someone from a different culture unless you want a big headache, this may sound ignorant to you, but I know from LOTS of experience and believe me I am the opposite of ignorant. good luck.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:32 PM

66 posts, read 279,849 times
[quote=lilacdeming;15704737]I am half Indian, though I was born and raised in the u.s. and with mostly american cultural morays, so I see things differently than most culturally Indian women. I can tell you right now, that culturally, most Indian women(even if they were born and raised in a western country) are very traditional, and protected by their families. Yes, things are changing, but you should take everything with a grain of salt.. In most south Asian cultures(Pakistani,Sri Lankan,Indian,etc.) People MAY date outside of their culture/race, but when it comes to a comittment, don't expect one. I have been through this myself, though I am ashamed to admit it, now knowing how horribly most pakistanis/muslims MEN treat women, and I would never do it again, I did date a pakistani..but it does go both ways, though I would be shocked if a pakistani woman would be gutsy enough to date for fear of her family's reaction..i knew a girl who did this and her father basically disowned her..in my opinion she is better off now. the fact is, even if someone was born here, if they were raised in a very culturally warped environment, they are going to think one way, and it can create a lot of heartache. If they were born outside of a western country and in their home country-don't waste your time. My dad is indian, my mom is white. They met almost 39 years ago and they still have huge problems agreeing on certain things. MY dad has been in the u.s. since he was a teenager, so almost 50 years, and he still has to have things his way and has to work very hard to come to compromises. I am not trying to offend anyone or discourage you, but I am just saying that there is a lot of truth to the difficulty of interracial dating. Even if the person acts very "westernized", believe me, they don't think that way. I would avoid dating muslims, they are VERY religiously warped and think very backward. I'm sure I will **** someone off by saying it, but hey, if you want the truth, there it is. I know some really cool people that are muslim, but ultimately they will either look down on you for not being one of them/try to convert you. Do not go out of your way looking for someone from a different culture unless you want a big headache, this may sound ignorant to you, but I know from LOTS of experience and believe me I am the opposite of ignorant. good luck... OH YEA, AND GENERALLY, SOUTH ASIANS(THOUGH NOT THE ONLY ONE) ARE A CULTURE THAT TEND TO BE VERY RACIST AND LOOK DOWN ON BLACKS! I don't feel this way, but know many who do..it's just the way the culture is.. they are obsessed with fair skin and it's all they talk about as far as beauty goes.."oh he is good and fair",etc.. when I went to india for the first time my relatives kept saying, oh she is fair indian girl,etc,etc.. and i was like-o.k.. can we move on to something else?? anyway, it's true, sorry..even darker indians feel this way..because they are looked down on by whiter indians.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 13,511 times
I'm an Indian woman living in Toronto and I have had black boyfriends. I mostly only date black men and will probably spend the rest of my life with one.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:03 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,668,998 times
I am not Indian, but am of partial Arab descent. I think it is hugely depends. Also need to consider if we talking about visible appearance or cultural practices. In the Caribbean and South America there are people of East Indian decent, but they do not hold the same values and are exposed to different groups of people so their preferences and the acceptance of the idea of interracial dating is likely different. I think it will always depend on each person's preferences and attraction to you. Family acceptance if a whole different story ex if the person comes from a stricter traditional background or a more modern background. Both Arab and Indian women that come from traditional background and live with their parents are going to have parents that are often unaccepting of the idea of dating and likely going to be against their daughters being in a relationship with someone from a different racial group unless they are from really liberal families. Re-Arab girls .. I can tell you from my own experiences if the parents are immigrants direct from Middle East or North Africa (ex were not born in the current country) they are not going to like it and there is going to be huge drama. In these cultures there is no dating... marriages are usually arranged or guided through family consent. Also often men marry off their daughters to second cousins or sons of friends of the family. My family is Catholic, not Muslim. When I use to go visit my Middle Eastern family in the US when I was in my earily teens my grandfather would not allow the teenage girls to be in the room alone with any men. Even our male cousins around the same age, which was strange for us, but not acceptable for him. In the Muslim faith women are not allowed to be in the same room alone with any man through traditional law they would be allowed to marry. One of my grandfathers was from the middle east. He had 2 daughters both had arranged marriages to middle eastern men (the sons married whoever they wanted to). One of his daughter when she was teenager was in love with some non-arab guy and her father found out he FREAKED out. It was really bad. She was under lock and key after that and always resented her father for forcing her to end that relationship and resented her brothers for not stepping in to defend her. When this same daughter was married with her arab husband and living in the US one of her daughters started dating an African American man and the father made a huge deal of it and would not accept them getting married, but they did anyways and once they had a child the father came around and eventually accepted him. I am so glad that my father was not as strict with me growing up in Canada. I guess seeing what had happened with his sister and growing up in the Caribbean and not the Middle East allowed him to be more tolerant then his father. I think people that have been in multicultural more modern countries are not as rigid. I have a friend who is Christian and from Pakistan. She married a man who is black and her parents were accepting of her marrying him as long as her was Christian. I have been in relationships with people outside of the faith I grew up with and my cultural background and personally have mixed feelings about this as there are pros and cons.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:05 PM

23 posts, read 33,348 times
Really depends on a case by case basis.

For a long term relationship it might get tricky.

But a lot of girls will hook up with a black guy as long as the parents don't find out(so its easy to keep it under wraps).

Honestly, there are a ton of girls out in Toronto whose parents are conservative but they themselves are liberal and want to experience life.

A lot of brown/Asian parents are pretty racist against black folk. Unfortunate but its true. However the younger generation doesn't follow the same rules so you'll find plenty of brown girls who'll like you.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 11,280 times
I am an Arab Muslim woman and i dated a black man for two years.
But this topic is very sensitive to the Arab community in the US, and I think it will take sometime before it becomes acceptable for Arab girls to date outside their race.
Only my mom knew about my boyfriend and we kept between us.
My dad owns a supermarket on the Chicago south side and the man I dated worked for my dad.

At the beginning we were sort of friends and then I noticed he started to like me, he would constantly complement me and say nice things to me, even my mom noticed. But i kept turning him down when he asked to go out with him. Initially it was annoying but then i sort of began to enjoy his attention. He was well mannered and good looking and has nice things to say always. Then one day I was out with one of my Arabic friends and the topic came up and she told she has been dating a black man secretly for the past six months. I was shocked and i could tell she was in love the way she spoke fondly about him! So I was excited and encouraged by her story, especially since i was enjoying the attention i was getting and i decided to go out with him. I kept it in secret of course and then one day we were in alone at my dad's business and my mom walked in and he was hugging and kissing me in the back. She was very upset initially fearing that my dad would find out. It took many many heated conversation the days after the incident for her to finally relent. BTW, and this is really important for Arab girls who are dating black or white guys, my mom made me promise not to lose my virginity and i kept the promise. My mom was great, she was my cover and she allowed him to come to our home delivering things as an excuse so i can see him and she used to cover for me when we went out. Admittedly, It wasn't an easy relationship to manage and i suppose it was never meant to last they was it did. I was 19 at the time and he was 26 and we dated for almost two years.

Now I am married to an Arab man but I am still very attracted to black men.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:46 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,668,998 times
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaya View Post
I am an Arab Muslim woman and i dated a black man for two years.
But this topic is very sensitive to the Arab community in the US, and I think it will take sometime before it becomes acceptable for Arab girls to date outside their race.
Only my mom knew about my boyfriend and we kept between us.
My dad owns a supermarket on the Chicago south side and the man I dated worked for my dad.

At the beginning we were sort of friends and then I noticed he started to like me, he would constantly complement me and say nice things to me, even my mom noticed. But i kept turning him down when he asked to go out with him. Initially it was annoying but then i sort of began to enjoy his attention. He was well mannered and good looking and has nice things to say always. Then one day I was out with one of my Arabic friends and the topic came up and she told she has been dating a black man secretly for the past six months. I was shocked and i could tell she was in love the way she spoke fondly about him! So I was excited and encouraged by her story, especially since i was enjoying the attention i was getting and i decided to go out with him. I kept it in secret of course and then one day we were in alone at my dad's business and my mom walked in and he was hugging and kissing me in the back. She was very upset initially fearing that my dad would find out. It took many many heated conversation the days after the incident for her to finally relent. BTW, and this is really important for Arab girls who are dating black or white guys, my mom made me promise not to lose my virginity and i kept the promise. My mom was great, she was my cover and she allowed him to come to our home delivering things as an excuse so i can see him and she used to cover for me when we went out. Admittedly, It wasn't an easy relationship to manage and i suppose it was never meant to last they was it did. I was 19 at the time and he was 26 and we dated for almost two years.

Now I am married to an Arab man but I am still very attracted to black men.
To say Arab father's are not easy is a crazy understatement. Dating is not really an okay thing. The intention should be marriage ....you either want to get married and are asking my daughter or you better keep away from my daughter. My dad did not grow up in the middle east... and he was a lot more mellow about this topic but I had to like scheme to go out .... eventually I had to bring the first guy I was dating home. I remember the first time I brought him to a family function my dad's older brother who looks like a Arab Mobster lol call him over in front of my other male relatives in a loud threatening voice warned him that he better have good intentions towards me or there will be consequences. Then went on to grill him..... he was turning green lol. I was so embarrassed ( in retrospective my uncle should of kick his butt .... he turned out to be a punk). Most Arab men have no issue threatening and or go after anyone that messes with their daughters. After I stopped bring anyone one home until I was engaged because in my opinion it just looks bad/ gives off a bad impression. It is still embarassing when family members I am not in contact with assume my husband was the guy they meet that I dated back them. It is totally a cultural thing .... if you are not a virgin you better lie or avoid the topic because otherwise his family will not approve of you or look down on you. I actually thought that guy was Arab at first ....
I had several Arabs Christian guys that were interested in me while I was dating this other guy..... I regret not breaking up with him to date one of them. Arab guys that are actually from the middle east or north Africa get the idea that if they are not looking for a wife ... don't try and mess around with someone daughter because they know if she is also Arab the family will go after him and his family and it will get ugly and dangerous. That is one thing I really like about Arab culture vs western culture. Men here tend to play too many games so you never really know what their intentions are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto