U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Toronto have the big city New York vibe?
It has a vibe similar to New York. 18 31.58%
It has a vibe similar to Chicago. 35 61.40%
It has a vibe similar to Calgary. 5 8.77%
It has a vibe similar to Vancouver. 1 1.75%
It has a vibe similar to Montreal. 2 3.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:59 AM

793 posts, read 1,144,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn1 View Post
Toronto shares certain superficial characteristics with Chicago but honestly they are two completely different cities. Toronto is messy, Chicago has the finished look. Also the nightlife in Toronto is way rowdier and the cultural make-up of the cites are completely different. If anything Toronto reminds me of Berlin crossed with an American city.
I almost spilt out my coffee reading this, Toronto dreams about having anything similar to Berlin. Berlin is a true Cultural and nightlife powerhouse, Toronto does not compare.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:03 AM

41 posts, read 157,511 times
Oh Cart24, why so insecure about Toronto?

Old 10-22-2010, 10:05 AM

20,659 posts, read 25,722,878 times
Quote:
But you really can make these comparisons with any city. If your point of reference is Montreal, you might think any European city is similar or Boston or even Pittsburgh, which imho is the city Montreal most resembles.
Perhaps in its old industrial areas (and some of the more utilitarian main shopping streets) Montreal may resemble Pittsburgh, but that is like saying Montreal resembles Paris because of the stretch of St-Denis between Sherbrooke and Ste-Catherine.

Plus, on a human level (which is what counts when it comes to culture), Montreal has little in common with Pittsburgh or most other North American cities for that matter.

Montreal is very much its own place. A fact which has its good and bad sides.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Oh Cart24, why so insecure about Toronto?
No insecurity at all, just don't understand the illusions of grandeur. How could you have possibly spent a significant amount of time in Berlin and actually believe Toronto matches up? C'Mon let be honest for a second here

Old 10-22-2010, 10:23 AM

Because they do. You've obviously spent very little time in either city to not know it's true.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:37 AM

<<YAWN>> Yes 16yrs living in TO and countless visits to my sister who lives in Berlin (Schneberg, check it out sometime) I guess isnt enough.

I think it is you that needs to actually visit a truly vibrant city, you seem to like Nightlife, you cant possibly say with a straight face that Toronto has anything that compares to Berlin....heck not even NYC does.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
<<YAWN>> Yes 16yrs living in TO and countless visits to my sister who lives in Berlin (Schneberg, check it out sometime) I guess isnt enough.

I think it is you that needs to actually visit a truly vibrant city, you seem to like Nightlife, you cant possibly say with a straight face that Toronto has anything that compares to Berlin....heck not even NYC does.
Montreal probably doesn't top Berlin either, IMHO.

(Though how could I know this, autobahn, being from Quebec and banned from all international travel except for the Petit Québec enclave around Pompano Beach, FL?)

Old 10-22-2010, 11:08 AM

Nightlife wise. No definitely not. And I agree not even New York can't compete with Berlin -New York can't compete with New York anymore. In many ways I was speaking about the visual impact of the city. Although Berlin does have a depopulated feel to it.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:23 AM

Agreed that MTL nor anywhere in N.America can stand up to Berlin in that category. Personally I would say that Tel Aviv and Istanbul are the only ones Ive personally seen on the same level (But Ive never been to Rio and everyone tells me they do it the best)

Anyways, I just dont see the Berlin-TO connection at all, but hey we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
Agreed that MTL nor anywhere in N.America can stand up to Berlin in that category. Personally I would say that Tel Aviv and Istanbul are the only ones Ive personally seen on the same level (But Ive never been to Rio and everyone tells me they do it the best)

Anyways, I just dont see the Berlin-TO connection at all, but hey we are all entitled to our own opinions.
In North America I really like South Beach in Miami Beach, but it is really concentrated in a small area compared to the scenes in the other cities mentioned here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or