U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Toronto have the big city New York vibe?
It has a vibe similar to New York. 18 31.58%
It has a vibe similar to Chicago. 35 61.40%
It has a vibe similar to Calgary. 5 8.77%
It has a vibe similar to Vancouver. 1 1.75%
It has a vibe similar to Montreal. 2 3.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 10:43 AM

43 posts, read 152,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn1 View Post
Nightlife wise. No definitely not. And I agree not even New York can't compete with Berlin -New York can't compete with New York anymore. In many ways I was speaking about the visual impact of the city. Although Berlin does have a depopulated feel to it.
At first, very superficial glance, I can see why you'd compare Berlin to TO - visually there's a lot of construction in the city, several empty spaces in the core, the city still has this gray-ish look (especially in the East), the TV tower is fairly prominent, etc.

But if you spend more than 2 hours in Berlin, explore the city, talk to people, soak in the atmosphere, you realize that it's a totally different ball game. And it's changing. Fast.

I would love to live there.

All this being said, even if I may not entirely agree with all your posts, autobahn1, you're stimulating debate and that is what a forum should be all about. The Canada sub-forum is usually pretty quiet.

Last edited by Badyouken; 10-22-2010 at 11:00 AM..

Old 10-22-2010, 10:44 PM

950 posts, read 1,457,640 times
Doesn't Toronto feel more like Melbourne, AU? I have a Canadian friend here in AU and that's what he told me.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:29 PM

161 posts, read 533,122 times
yes, toronto has a big city vibe. like NYC? no.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:32 PM

20,581 posts, read 25,646,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Doesn't Toronto feel more like Melbourne, AU? I have a Canadian friend here in AU and that's what he told me.
Agree. Melbourne felt a lot like Toronto to me.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:43 PM

222 posts, read 476,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
Agreed that MTL nor anywhere in N.America can stand up to Berlin in that category. Personally I would say that Tel Aviv and Istanbul are the only ones Ive personally seen on the same level (But Ive never been to Rio and everyone tells me they do it the best)

Anyways, I just dont see the Berlin-TO connection at all, but hey we are all entitled to our own opinions.
Dude quit stating this as a fact this is your opinion. And since people want to be brutal I am going to give you my brutal opinion. First of all Berlin i never been and might not ever go and wouldn't care two cents if I ever did. But to me I had to go to canada to Toronto and I feel like I have to go to other great cities like Sao paulo and others u probably never heard of like Fortaleza (for it's beautiful beaches and nightlife.) But Berlin give me a break there is nothing there that would even convince me to go I seen all the video's and all the other B.S. on this city and nothing about it seemed apealing to me. Yeah also if it does have a better night life you need to thank god it has that because everything else looks boring. It's a sad shame to me when your city can't apeal to the natural eye and like I said before I hear more people i have talk to more interested in To than some weak Berlin get out of here with that. And you comparing it with NYC come on get a life dude.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,433 times
No, Toronto is nothing like NYC. It is an adolescent city, pimply and awkward. Granted, it does have beautiful pockets and true architectural gems but is overall one of the ugliest big cities in the developed world (tons of post-WW II architectural disasters everywhere you look, big and small).

The nature is quite beautiful, though. The city is crisscrossed by numerous ravines which have been turned into semi-urban parkland. There are numerous places to be close to the water.

Also great are the numerous neighbourhoods, many very different in character compared to the rest of the city. Also, the food is amazing.

But architecturally, it is a disaster. New York is not.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:42 AM

43 posts, read 152,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramarine View Post
No, Toronto is nothing like NYC. It is an adolescent city, pimply and awkward. Granted, it does have beautiful pockets and true architectural gems but is overall one of the ugliest big cities in the developed world (tons of post-WW II architectural disasters everywhere you look, big and small).

The nature is quite beautiful, though. The city is crisscrossed by numerous ravines which have been turned into semi-urban parkland. There are numerous places to be close to the water.

Also great are the numerous neighbourhoods, many very different in character compared to the rest of the city. Also, the food is amazing.

But architecturally, it is a disaster. New York is not.
Sounds about right.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 AM

1,655 posts, read 5,092,183 times
Delete

Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 AM

1,655 posts, read 5,092,183 times
Architecture is really the only department we suck in tbh... that and maybe weather. If you take Chicago's crappiest buildings and sprinkle in a dozen art deco and neo classic buildings you have Toronto.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:42 AM

1,954 posts, read 4,375,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn1 View Post
Toronto shares certain superficial characteristics with Chicago but honestly they are two completely different cities. Toronto is messy, Chicago has the finished look. Also the nightlife in Toronto is way rowdier and the cultural make-up of the cites are completely different.
I think this is a good description. Although I don't get the Berlin comparison, but I have never been to Berlin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or