U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Toronto have the big city New York vibe?
It has a vibe similar to New York. 18 31.58%
It has a vibe similar to Chicago. 35 61.40%
It has a vibe similar to Calgary. 5 8.77%
It has a vibe similar to Vancouver. 1 1.75%
It has a vibe similar to Montreal. 2 3.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 03:13 PM

1,590 posts, read 3,452,434 times

Advertisements

New York is only 3 times the size of Toronto. Just sayin! :P

Old 06-15-2011, 06:25 PM

86 posts, read 254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
New York is only 3 times the size of Toronto. Just sayin! :P
Population is not everything.
Paris has a smaller population than Toronto, but is one of the world's top 3 cities.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:31 PM

86 posts, read 254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I have lived in or outside Toronto my entire life, and I cannot fathom how you can compare it to NYC. I mentioned the TIFF in my original post, but I have never heard of the Toronto Electronica Film Festival. However, I suppose the TIFF would be comparable to NYC's Tribeca Film Festival, so they kind of cancel each other out.

A friend of mine was coming to Toronto from San Diego for four days, and asked us to come up with a list of "must see" things he and his GF should do while they were here. While we came up with several good ones (CN Tower, ROM, AGO, Fort York, Metro Toronto Zoo, etc.) we had a difficult time coming up with an extensive list that would actually fill his itinerary. However, on a recent trip to NYC with my GF, I had no trouble coming up with a list of things to fill our 5 days up, and we still did not see everything we wanted to (the Museum of Natural History and Ellis Island, for example). This coincided with the Tribeca Film Festival last year, but we didn't end up seeing any movies nor did we waste time wandering around tourist traps while we were there.

Perhaps it has something to do with being over familiar with the city you live and/or work in. However, it should be noted that NYC is both iconic and world famous, while Toronto does not quite share that distinction. FWIW, my GF had never been to NYC prior to that trip and thought I was exaggerating about cool NYC is compared to Toronto. After seeing it for herself, she now agrees Toronto is "bland and boring" by comparison and can't wait to go back.
Toronto may not be "bland and boring" for someone from a small town, who may think it is very exciting and happening, however, I can't think of anything one can find in Toronto but is absent in New York.

Vancouver and Montreal each has its unique charms that most North American cities don't. Toronto really doesn't. It is very very bland for anyone who is well-traveled.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:08 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 962,170 times
Does Toronto have a big city vibe? I would say Toronto has the feel of the third largest city in all of North America. Toronto to me is on the level of Chicago for size of population, population density, size of skyline and importance.

Evissone, I am well traveled and have been to many countries. I do not feel Toronto was bland or boring. The types of cities each person enjoys is completely their preference.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,370,069 times
Quote:
I have lived in or outside Toronto my entire life, and I cannot fathom how you can compare it to NYC. I mentioned the TIFF in my original post, but I have never heard of the Toronto Electronica Film Festival. However, I suppose the TIFF would be comparable to NYC's Tribeca Film Festival, so they kind of cancel each other out.

A friend of mine was coming to Toronto from San Diego for four days, and asked us to come up with a list of "must see" things he and his GF should do while they were here. While we came up with several good ones (CN Tower, ROM, AGO, Fort York, Metro Toronto Zoo, etc.) we had a difficult time coming up with an extensive list that would actually fill his itinerary. However, on a recent trip to NYC with my GF, I had no trouble coming up with a list of things to fill our 5 days up, and we still did not see everything we wanted to (the Museum of Natural History and Ellis Island, for example). This coincided with the Tribeca Film Festival last year, but we didn't end up seeing any movies nor did we waste time wandering around tourist traps while we were there.

Perhaps it has something to do with being over familiar with the city you live and/or work in. However, it should be noted that NYC is both iconic and world famous, while Toronto does not quite share that distinction. FWIW, my GF had never been to NYC prior to that trip and thought I was exaggerating about cool NYC is compared to Toronto. After seeing it for herself, she now agrees Toronto is "bland and boring" by comparison and can't wait to go back.
Well, I can not fathom how you can have those opinions about Toronto and insulting the city you lived in your entire life.

Toronto still has a lot of cultural offerings.

Well, there you go. You did not know the Toronto electronica music festival existed. And yes there is also the Toronto international film festival. This is 2 examples for cultural events/cultural offerings in Toronto. I am sure at least 100+ other examples could be named for Toronto cultural offerings other than just 2 of those examples.

Toronto is also still iconic and world famous.
Immigrants and people from elsewhere from all over the world go to Toronto. Toronto has one of the highest percentages of immigrants, foreigners, and people born from outside the country for any city in the world!

Also, I know many people from New York City that like Toronto and still think Toronto is also an exciting place and stuff like that and even prefer to live in Toronto for a time period over New York. I know at least 15 people with this example.

Sorry, but even though you lived there a long time you don't seem to know Toronto well at all.

And yes, Toronto to me seems to have a feel that is a blend of New York, Chicago, and Montreal.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,158,770 times
How can I insult the city I was born in?

Personally, I find Toronto to be dirty, smelly and overrun with homeless people. The public transit system is abysmal when compared to other cities of similar size (such as NYC, for example), being both inefficient and expensive. I was not rating Toronto based on annual events such as film festivals and other specific cultural celebrations (like Caribana and Pride, for example), as they are generally celebrated in other large cities as well. I am not sure if NYC has a Caribana celebration, but Toronto does not have a St. Paddy's or Macy's Parade as they do in NYC.

When comparing Toronto to NYC, one can look at the attractions and well-being of the city as a whole. New York is much cleaner and has many more World Class museums and gallaries then Toronto can ever hope to. This would include the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Musesum of Modern Art, the Guggenheim Museum, and the Museum of Natural History to name a few. New York also boasts iconic architecture such as the Brooklyn Bridge, the Status of Liberty, the Crystler Building and the Empire State Building. Additionally, there is culturally relevent sites such as Ellis Island, which was the entry point for multitudes of Canadians as they emigrated to the New World. While Toronto does have the distiction of being an urban forest, it has nothing that really compares to Central Park, nor The Cloisters, Gramercy Park or Wahington Square. Both cities have a great selection of world-class dining, but I would say NY has Toronto beat as far as shopping goes, from 5th Avenue right down to the shady dealers on Canal Street, Toronto has nothing that compares.

Seriously, New York City is arguably the most famous metropolis in the entire world and you are tying to debate me that Toronto is at all comparable? I know Canadians can be bad homers at times, but this is really bordering on silly.

As for new immigrants that choose Toronto as their home, that has much more to do with Toronto's job market than it's "coolness" factor. Immigrants are going to move where the best jobs are, and Toronto is going to trump North Bay or Kingston in that regard every time. Why do you think I work here? It's certainly not because I enjoy the city by any stretch.

BTW: I don't listen to electronic music, so it is no wonder I have never heard of an electronic music festival. Acting surprised at that would be like me acting surprised that you have never heard of the Festival of Fear or the British Show.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:01 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,853,943 times
Heck no! No NY vibe here in Toronto.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:02 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,370,069 times
I find your generalizations about Toronto to be very inaccurate.
You just proved to me again that your generalizations are very inaccurate and that my assumptions about Toronto are more correct than yours.

New York City cleaner than Toronto? Are you serious?
I bet you would say something else silly too like Vancouver and Stockholm being dirtier than New York.

Wow. And you proved my point that Toronto does have much more cultural offerings and cultural events than you thought it did. Thanks for proving my point there. Yes, other than the Toronto international film festival and Toronto electronica music festival, I am sure Toronto has at least 100 other cultural events and cultural offerings.

Toronto may not have as many museums as New York but it still has plenty of museums so I am not sure why you want to devaluate the museums that Toronto has.

Toronto still has some great architecture, even if it may be expressed a bit differently from New York. Toronto also has much better public transportation than you portray it to be.

Toronto is still a famous and highly regarded metropolis. How can you not see this? It has one of the highest percentages of immigrants, foreigners, and people from elsewhere for any city in the world!

Toronto also still has many great neighborhoods in general.
Toronto is still much more exciting than you portray it to be.

I may like New York City a bit more than Toronto but I still like both New York and Toronto.

I don't know why you seem to enjoy devaluating everything about Toronto and insulting Toronto. Toronto is still a great place and has plenty of things going for it.

And yes, Toronto to me feels like a blend of Chicago, New York, and Montreal and has plenty of similarities to those three other cities.

Quote:
How can I insult the city I was born in?

Personally, I find Toronto to be dirty, smelly and overrun with homeless people. The public transit system is abysmal when compared to other cities of similar size (such as NYC, for example), being both inefficient and expensive. I was not rating Toronto based on annual events such as film festivals and other specific cultural celebrations (like Caribana and Pride, for example), as they are generally celebrated in other large cities as well. I am not sure if NYC has a Caribana celebration, but Toronto does not have a St. Paddy's or Macy's Parade as they do in NYC.

When comparing Toronto to NYC, one can look at the attractions and well-being of the city as a whole. New York is much cleaner and has many more World Class museums and gallaries then Toronto can ever hope to. This would include the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Musesum of Modern Art, the Guggenheim Museum, and the Museum of Natural History to name a few. New York also boasts iconic architecture such as the Brooklyn Bridge, the Status of Liberty, the Crystler Building and the Empire State Building. Additionally, there is culturally relevent sites such as Ellis Island, which was the entry point for multitudes of Canadians as they emigrated to the New World. While Toronto does have the distiction of being an urban forest, it has nothing that really compares to Central Park, nor The Cloisters, Gramercy Park or Wahington Square. Both cities have a great selection of world-class dining, but I would say NY has Toronto beat as far as shopping goes, from 5th Avenue right down to the shady dealers on Canal Street, Toronto has nothing that compares.

Seriously, New York City is arguably the most famous metropolis in the entire world and you are tying to debate me that Toronto is at all comparable? I know Canadians can be bad homers at times, but this is really bordering on silly.

As for new immigrants that choose Toronto as their home, that has much more to do with Toronto's job market than it's "coolness" factor. Immigrants are going to move where the best jobs are, and Toronto is going to trump North Bay or Kingston in that regard every time. Why do you think I work here? It's certainly not because I enjoy the city by any stretch.

BTW: I don't listen to electronic music, so it is no wonder I have never heard of an electronic music festival. Acting surprised at that would be like me acting surprised that you have never heard of the Festival of Fear or the British Show.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 PM

1,590 posts, read 3,452,434 times
Annuvin doesn't have a clue about the city he lives in.

As far as I know, New York doesn't have something like Kensington Market.

The North By Northeast music fest is happening in Toronto this weekend, virtually every venue in the central city is hosting a lineup of bands from all over Canada and the World. Only The South By Southwest music fest in Austin, Texas is comparable in scope.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 PM

488 posts, read 1,012,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
The North By Northeast music fest is happening in Toronto this weekend, virtually every venue in the central city is hosting a lineup of bands from all over Canada and the World. Only The South By Southwest music fest in Austin, Texas is comparable in scope.
Yup, I'm going to see Stars tomorrow

This week is also Luminato. The Taste of little Italy is this weekend, so is the 1000 tastes of Toronto. Next week is the Toronto Jazz festival and Aretha Franklin is schedule to perform. The Beaches Jazz festival is also coming up. The black creek music festival is going on right now, it opened last week with Placido Domingo. The end of the month is pride week. All that in the next 2 weeks.

You're right Toronto is a devoid of culture.

Annuvin, maybe you should leave your house and venture into the "dirty" city once in a while. Don't worry the homeless people don't bite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or