Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 04:50 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAgirl View Post

Someone asked why we all have our defenses up if someone says hello to us on the street, and for the life of me I have no friggin clue. All I know is that if someone says hello, we are completely taken off guard.

In a nutshell, is there a problem? YES. Is there a problem with women? YES. Is there a problem with men? YES. How are we raising our children?
The organism (Toronto society) is ill. Until people wake up and shake off the "everything is fine" mentality, the cancer will continue to thrive.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:47 AM

746 posts, read 1,676,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
The organism (Toronto society) is ill. Until people wake up and shake off the "everything is fine" mentality, the cancer will continue to thrive.
Quite true. I would chalk it up to delusion even.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:42 PM

13 posts, read 78,376 times
Toronto is very ill. I wish I could move to the States as I had an opportunity 10 years ago. My friend just came back from San Jose last night (business related) and told me what an amazing time she had and how friendly people were. The men were so open, approachable, nice, respectful and chatty. They would talk to anyone and everyone, including their male counterparts, and buying people (including other men) all sorts of drinks. Relaxed, but with manners.

I can't believe these Toronto guys and how arrogant they are-too good and too arrogant to approach any woman, no matter how gorgeous or nice she is. Even the average ones are so big headed. It's a disease that everyone's infected with.

Someone mentioned suburbs. Well it may be better but not a whole lot. I was raised in, and continue to live in Mississauga (south east) and it's not that different from the downtown core. It's only 15 min away from downtown and I don't see a difference.

Again, another bad experience where someone I randomly met blowing smoke up my ass about how he fell for me as soon as he saw me (my eyes are rolling) and what a great couple we made, how he wanted to be my boyfriend and liked me oh so much (gag), and how he wanted to find someone nice to settle down with. He's the typical 37 year old man-boy you see in Toronto all the time (what the hell's wrong with that age group? So immature). Yet when he finally set a date 2 weeks later, he cancelled two hours before saying he had a fever and was at the walk-in clinic. Such weird behaviour, especially when he was saying how excited he was to see me again earlier in the day lol. Weird, and yet typical Toronto behaviour. Nothing phases or surprises me and I just continue to truck along and I'm completely done with men-like I've said before. I wouldn't have even entertained chatting/being friendly/respectful/polite with this one had he not come on so strong (unusual for Toronto guys). At least I had an awesome time with close friends instead . I deleted him on bbm and never heard from him again lol. I think he must have figured out that he wasn't going to get into my pants so easily and he couldn't mindf*** me like I was still 22.

I just don't get Toronto. It's very isolating. And I personally think the women are this way because of the men. Geesh I wish things were as simple/innocent as they were in our 20s!! :P

Last edited by GTAgirl; 05-29-2011 at 03:50 PM..

Old 05-29-2011, 04:24 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Toronto is very ill.
I think that is a fair comment.

Quote:
I just don't get Toronto. It's very isolating. And I personally think the women are this way because of the men. Geesh I wish things were as simple/innocent as they were in our 20s!! :P [Emphasis added.]
Bwahahaha! You must be kidding. Regardless of gender, many people in Toronto seem to suffer from social retardation to some extent or another.

Many Torontonians do not know how to relate to and play well with others. It is an awkward place to exchange pleasantries and to make small talk with strangers. Quite a few comparable large American cities are far superior in that regard.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Bwahahaha! You must be kidding. Regardless of gender, many people in Toronto seem to suffer from social retardation to some extent or another.

Many Torontonians do not know how to relate to and play well with others. It is an awkward place to exchange pleasantries and to make small talk with strangers. Quite a few comparable large American cities are far superior in that regard.
I couldn't have said it better. You can work at a place for five years in Toronto and never have anyone want to associate with you outside of work. Outside the realm of work, it seems like you have to go through some years-long test with people before they'll consider you a friend. TV is way more important to people than having a nice conversation. As GTAgirl stated, it's not just limited to Toronto proper. It is an attitude that pervades just about every locale from Kingston to Niagara Falls.
One thing I'll say about people from this area, is that they're ruthlessly efficient in calculating the "what's in it for me" factor at every social interaction. Once you can no longer be of potential use to these people (especially career-wise), they drop you.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:27 PM

13 posts, read 78,376 times
Very well said guys...but I can still have my opinions, right? Just like you guys have yours about the "nasty" women in this town lol

Nevertheless, SOOOO true about the "what's in it for me" mentality and how expendable people are...

Hmm..interesting about a guy we met from North Carolina last night while eating our dinner. He said my friend was pretty and then proceeded to ask her which downtown clubs he should go to meet all the cougar women. She stammered that she didn't know. lol I don't know...where do all the cougars hang out? Suburbs? Crocodile Rock? lol

Last edited by GTAgirl; 05-29-2011 at 05:38 PM..

Old 05-29-2011, 09:08 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
I don't know...where do all the cougars hang out? Suburbs? Crocodile Rock? lol
Cougar country for the adventurous:

Chick 'n' Deli.

Word to the wise, however: it doesn't normally draw an attractive crowd.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Cougar country for the adventurous:

Chick 'n' Deli.

Word to the wise, however: it doesn't normally draw an attractive crowd.
It's way off topic, but I can only imagine!

Old 05-29-2011, 10:18 PM

71 posts, read 348,223 times
Toronto IS very ill and dysfunctional.

Sorry GTAGirl, just not buying it. I think that the social scene that women create/control is the SAME whether in their teens, 20s, or 30s. Women complain when desirable guys (ones that will impress their friends) or bad boys are not being nice...they're not complaining about the actual nice guys because they are invisible to them and don't give a s&*$ about them. I've seen seemingly normal, responsible women in their late 20s/early 30s (some single moms) who are tight friends compete for the same guy even though there were other nice guys around (that they treated like dirt or as if they didn't exist).

Your story is almost frighteningly similar to a recent situation with me with regards to age and location. Except in my situation I think the girl from Mississauga was just going to play phone tag until I got sick of trying to set up a date with her because that is how it seems westernized women brush off nice guys who aren't overly aggressive (very classy by the way). Gee, I wonder if telling her I have no car didn't help. Maybe it would've helped if I gave her financial statements showing that her life would be way more comfortable--that's what it seems it will take but I'm not paying that price for any "princess" here especially one who's at the brink of running into the "Wile E. Coyote moment".

I'm out and about almost every day all around Toronto...all I see are women with stern, unfriendly faces hiding behind big celebrity shade and celebrity wannabe clothing. For me hiding behind shades in Toronto is the number one "don't talk to me/not interested" signal--not unlike women who seem to wear earphones everywhere at all hours in order to not be bothered. I don't think any American guy would be interested in attempting to bust down that shield; but when girls go on vacation somewhere else it seems they go into friendly, easy-going, party mode.

I think Toronto guys just get burned too much, it just doesn't make sense to approach someone in a city where most women enjoy baiting and stomping on guys, look either angry, bitchy, cold, stuck up or just generally in an unsocial mood. The other day there was this reasonably pretty girl who was a little bit more than encroaching my space in a conversation with a friend--and pretty much unusually facing in our direction. It almost looked like she was looking for an "in" into our conversation or acknowledgement so I gave her a friendly hi and continued my conversation with my friend...all I received back was a stupid blank stare and not even a word. Wow, I felt like a huge idiot...never again. 10 minutes later some guy comes out of the cafe and they leave together...this whole time she was a foot from us and body and partial attention facing our direction without moving or saying a word.

Sorry, women here are the creators and enablers of the disgusting social environment. The aggressive guys, players, and posers get all the rewards while the nice guys are left in the dust. The only thing that makes me sleep well at night is that Mother Nature quickly balances out women's short-lived rockstar stage and just takes a baseball bat to their youth, looks, and figure LOL.

Sorry for the lack of brevity!

Old 05-29-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equalizer101 View Post
The only thing that makes me sleep well at night is that Mother Nature quickly balances out women's short-lived rockstar stage and just takes a baseball bat to their youth, looks, and figure LOL.
You made several good points also. The line I quoted cracked me up though. Age is not kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto