Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate the weather of Toronto from your personal experience?
I think the weather's pretty good. Not perfect, but it's good enough. 4 44.44%
I find the weather barely tolerable, but it is tolerable. 4 44.44%
I do not like the weather. It is a pretty big problem for me. 1 11.11%
I extremely dislike the weather so much that I have moved away or am seriously thinking of it. 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 03:04 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,455,466 times

Advertisements

Toronto has a very similar climate to where I live, but it's warmer in summer and more humid. Overall it's not a bad climate, but summers are quite uncomfortably hot for me (especially considering the humidity) and winters are not always cold enough to form stable snowpack during whole winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
This is a score ranking Mercer gives to various big cities in the world in terms of "thermal comfort" in general. The higher the score, the better weather the city has. Toronto is definitely below average, but not too far from New York, London, Berlin and Seoul which are not known for bad weather.

Sao Paulo - 27
Los Angeles -26
Sydney -25
Mexico City -24
Johannesberg - 23
Buenos Aires - 21
San Fran -20
Istanbul - 19
Paris - 17
Tokyo - 17
London - 11
New York -10
Berlin -9
Soeul -8
Toronto - 7
Chicago - 7
Stockholm - 5
Shanghai -4
Beijing - 3
Abu Dhabi - 3
Moscow - 1

Note: Measure of the average deviation from optimal room temperature (72 degrees Fahrenheit) in a city. January and July heat indices were calculated for each city using an online tool that integrates average temperature and average morning relative humidity during each month. A final thermal comfort score was derived by first taking the difference between a city’s heat index for each month and optimal room temperature and then averaging the absolute values of these differences.
It's a very subjective rating. I'll never take Abu Dhabi over Moscow or Buenos Aires over Stockholm.

Last edited by Max96; 11-10-2013 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,890 times
The winter isn't so bad. It's fairly warm actually. But the consistant rain all year round is depressing. It is not too much rain but there are so many cases where it's "about the rain". It's mostly cloudy and not a lot of sunlight. People don't get their vitamin D which adds to their unhappiness. People look pale which is probably why it looks like a city of the Dead. The humidity really doesn't help either. The weather just goes up and down which may confuse people whether they should wear their winter coats or leave them at home. I would say the weather in Toronto is very irregular, rainy and depressing, just like the city itself.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:35 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyu89 View Post
The winter isn't so bad. It's fairly warm actually. But the consistant rain all year round is depressing. It is not too much rain but there are so many cases where it's "about the rain". It's mostly cloudy and not a lot of sunlight. People don't get their vitamin D which adds to their unhappiness. People look pale which is probably why it looks like a city of the Dead. The humidity really doesn't help either. The weather just goes up and down which may confuse people whether they should wear their winter coats or leave them at home. I would say the weather in Toronto is very irregular, rainy and depressing, just like the city itself.
Is the Toronto's depressing dark cloudy weather as bad as in London, England and Melbourne, Australia? And which of these two cities do you think has a more depressing yearly weather - Toronto or Vancouver?

Old 11-06-2014, 01:47 AM

909 posts, read 1,153,566 times
Toronto isn't as cloudy as Vancouver in the winter but it isn't nearly as sunny as the prairies either. I guess it's a nice in-between with a warmer (not as freezing cold as the prairies) and not as depressing winter.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:51 AM

909 posts, read 1,153,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Is the Toronto's depressing dark cloudy weather as bad as in London, England and Melbourne, Australia? And which of these two cities do you think has a more depressing yearly weather - Toronto or Vancouver?
Vancouver has a more cloudy and depressing winter. There are more sunshine hours in Toronto. But Toronto still doesn't have a very sunny winter. Melbourne is much less cloudy than Toronto both in the winter and all year round. London is more cloudier than Toronto in the winter and more comparable to Vancouver.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:34 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post

It's a very subjective rating. I'll never take Abu Dhabi over Moscow or Buenos Aires over Stockholm.
Really?

Stockholm has an average high of -1 in winter and 21-22C in summer; (cold winter and there is no summer)
Buenos Aires has an average high of 12C in winter and 29-30C in summer.

Buenos Aires has total sunshine hours of 2374, compared with 1821 in Stockholm.

Abu Dhabi and Moscow are both bad, and there is no significant difference in the ranking either.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Is the Toronto's depressing dark cloudy weather as bad as in London, England and Melbourne, Australia?
I wouldn't place London and Melbourne in the same boat at all when it comes to cool, dark and depressing cloudy weather.

Melbourne is only viewed that way by people who use Australian standards and compare it to places like Brisbane and Perth.

Toronto and Melbourne actually have a similar amount of annual sunshine hours: both are around 2200. London has far less at around 1600.

Both London and Melbourne have milder winters than Toronto does with very little snow and quite rare sub-zero temperatures.

In Toronto you will of course have way more crisp, clear and bright days with freshly-fallen snow that don't feel as dreary as rainy days with 7C. Snow also lightens up the leafless landscape in winter.

Unless you are a true heat and humidity hater, summers in Toronto are also way better than those in London, although not quite as hot as those in Melbourne.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:07 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
And which of these two cities do you think has a more depressing yearly weather - Toronto or Vancouver?
Toronto vs. Vancouver in the winter is a toss-up. On the one hand Toronto get more snow and is colder but tends to have more bright, crisp sunny days as well. Vancouver is very cloudy and rainy in the winter and you can go many days in a row without seeing the sun.

I personally think Toronto tops Vancouver in the summer. Vancouver is generally between 20-25C whereas Toronto generally hovers from 25-30C, which makes more for a real summer in my mind at least.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,585 times
Default Horrible

Maybe weather is a personal matter and some people may like cold, dark, rainy, freezing inhospitable weather. To me this is sheer torture. May, June, July, August will be ok but the rest of the year brace yourself. If you live in a decent climate stay away. Someone must have been very desperate to build a city here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
How would you rate Toronto's weather from your personal experience?

Old 05-24-2020, 01:50 PM

274 posts, read 174,003 times
Much better than most of Canada.

Honestly not that bad, unless you're homeless, then that'd suck. Most of our years though, it will periodically start snowing a little around November, more in December, but in January it really seems to pick up, starts getting -15 to -25 in temperature, sometimes going below -30 with wind chill, but even Buffalo usually gets more snowfall per year, so definitely bearable for most people. In February and until around mid march it will still be very winterish, then usually start calming down around the start of april, overall stopping around the end of the month, but by this point the snow is extremely mild usually, so almost negligible to normal life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto