Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 02:16 PM

21 posts, read 184,940 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating from the Vancouver area to GTA in the new year, and have narrowed down or choice of area to either Markham (West of McCowan Rd) or Richmond Hill.

Would be curious to get some feedback on some distinct differences between these two cities. IE, traffic patterns, retail selection etc.

From what I can tell Richmond Hill seems to be more centrally located, and has a stronger retail core. Conversely, Markham seems have somewhat more character, like in areas like Unionville, and even the newer communities are being developed like this. Note that I particularly like the Angus Glen/Berczy Village area - and would consider this our first choice.

Any comments are appreciated. Note that I will be commuting to the Don Mills Rd / Eglinton area in Toronto. (I've been told expect 45 minutes via 404 - Sheppard - Don Mills Rd)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 10:31 AM

163 posts, read 628,420 times
both cities will have the same flavor, but yes, Richmond Hill is slightly more central.

however, since you've indicated that you want to keep west of McCowan if in Markham, you're not too far from the freeways. if you can find a place west of Kennedy, even better...

the Angus Glen / Berzy neighborhoods are beautiful. not too crowded because of your proximity to Major Mack and the farm land north of that.

i gotta ask though, why relocate from Vancouver? it is a different lifestyle vibe in TO...

Old 12-09-2010, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the answers.

We're leaving Vancouver for Toronto for career reasons (as most people it seems). I'm in finance and my wife works in human resources and there are considerably more opportunities in Toronto for us.

The lower cost of living is another bonus.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 11,205 times
If you are looking at Markham, I would advise looking at Thornhill as well. We live in the Markham section of Thornhill - close to the German Mills area. It is only 3-4 km from Steeles, so we are very close to Toronto proper. Also, if you live here, you can drive to Eglington and Don Mills without bothering with the 404 DVP (which is a nightmare).

Thornhill is probably more expensive for housing but it has fantastic schools and is very diverse.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:12 AM

We originally looked at Thornhill (both Vaughan and Markham sides) and ruled it out due to proximity to the daycare we found. It's near 16th Ave and 404, so we'd prefer to stay north of 407 so we are close.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:20 PM

398 posts, read 732,523 times
Not trying to be rude but, don't most people choose where to live, then worry about finding a daycare nearby afterward? As far as I know, there are daycare centres all over the place.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
Not trying to be rude but, don't most people choose where to live, then worry about finding a daycare nearby afterward? As far as I know, there are daycare centres all over the place.
I talked to close to a dozen daycares in north GTA, and all except one (a brand new one) had a 1 - 2 year wait list. Didn't leave us with alot of choice.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:39 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthedonuts View Post
I talked to close to a dozen daycares in north GTA, and all except one (a brand new one) had a 1 - 2 year wait list. Didn't leave us with alot of choice.
Yikes! How can there be such a shortage? I thought most daycares were private and that anyone could open one (provided they met a certain number of requirements).

Old 12-20-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yikes! How can there be such a shortage? I thought most daycares were private and that anyone could open one (provided they met a certain number of requirements).
We were selective as well. Wanted a centre that has an organized program with am emphasis on developmental skills - as opposed to just childcare in some stranger's home.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:12 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,503,724 times
Markham. Bigger with more amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto