Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:20 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times

Advertisements

Actually the winter info is incorrect. Toronto gets twice the ave amount of snow as NYC (do a wiki). And the snow NYC gets melts fairly quickly, at least kin manhattan. I've lived in both cities.. Winter is def colder in Tdot.

QUOTE=anitra416;17766888]Hi live. You can get a good sense of housing costs by browsing through REALTOR.ca - Welcome (formerly MLS) site.

-Desirable areas include those closest to subway lines and located near certain schools. Unlike some US cities, many people have chosen to live close to downtown, and thus make Toronto's core a desirable place to live. To generalize, areas to avoid are Toronto's "inner suburbs", which are located in a ring around the core near highway 401. It's hard to advise you not knowing your preferences.

-Thousands of people commute to work in downtown Toronto from outside communities such as Burlington, Oakville, Mississauga, Hamilton, Barrie, Whitby, Pickering, Oshawa etc by commuter train (the GoTrain). Most of these commutes by train range from 30 to 60 minutes. Others choose to suffer in their cars in some of the worst gridlock in North America. Commuter hell is why some choose to pay a premium to live closer to downtown. I think it's possible to easily spend 2 hours in your car one way.

-Toronto is Canada's largest city, it has all the attractions of a large multicultural city : professional theatre and performance, music, art, food and cultural festivals, concerts for every taste, restaurants of every type and price point, art galleries, parks, professional and amateur sport, etc. Some nice Toronto attributes : walkable charming neighbourhoods, Toronto Islands park. Some not so nice : bland ugly architecture, hard to quickly escape to countryside (located in sprawl) and sometimes lacks a certain "joie de vivre" (just my opinion).

-As Canada's largest city, Toronto is the hub of Canada's finance and insurance industries, therefore our major banks and brokerage houses are headquartered here. Most major tech companies (Microsoft, IBM etc) have offices in the GTA - Toronto also has quite a few startups. Toronto is where the majority of Canada's media outlets are located and has a large film, TV and video game industry presence as well. There are also major research hospitals located here, as well as three universities. This is off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

-Average winter temp is probably -5 to -10 celsius. We do not get as much snow as cities like Buffalo or even NYC. The cold in Toronto is damp however and it often feels colder than it actually is.

-Crime : Toronto is an overwhelmingly safe city. Gun crime is rare and mostly confined to gang-related activity. To generalize, gangs tend to be located in "inner suburb" areas.

-Schools : don't know this one. You can google this though, there is a lot of information on which schools are better performers in Toronto.

-Taxes : Property taxes will differ whether you choose to live in the City of Toronto proper, or in another surrounding community. City of Toronto taxes are based on the assessed value of the property. Check out this link from the City. City of Toronto: Property Tax

Hope that helps.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 09:41 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Actually the winter info is incorrect. Toronto gets twice the ave amount of snow as NYC (do a wiki). And the snow NYC gets melts fairly quickly, at least kin manhattan. I've lived in both cities.. Winter is def colder in Tdot.
What NYC gets more of than Toronto is the huge Nor'Easter storms that can dump 50 cm or more in one storm. This is extremely rare in Toronto, but can happen once or twice a winter in NYC. Some winters it doesn't happen at all in NYC - but the past few years have seen several notable occurrences it is true.

As stated, snow melts a lot more quickly in NYC than in Toronto, plus Toronto gets regular 5, 10, 15 cm snowfalls every couple of days or weeks that can accumulate and stick around in the winter.

Bottom line is there are way more days with snow on the ground in Toronto than in NYC. It's just that the one big snowstorm of the year in NYC usually gets a lot of press.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What NYC gets more of than Toronto is the huge Nor'Easter storms that can dump 50 cm or more in one storm. This is extremely rare in Toronto, but can happen once or twice a winter in NYC. Some winters it doesn't happen at all in NYC - but the past few years have seen several notable occurrences it is true.

As stated, snow melts a lot more quickly in NYC than in Toronto, plus Toronto gets regular 5, 10, 15 cm snowfalls every couple of days or weeks that can accumulate and stick around in the winter.

Bottom line is there are way more days with snow on the ground in Toronto than in NYC. It's just that the one big snowstorm of the year in NYC usually gets a lot of press.
True but you don't get huge snow dumpers consistently every year.. I love snow as a cross country skier and we would have 1 bad winter followed by many years of not much snow.. I was often disappointed.

Last edited by minibrings; 03-23-2011 at 05:16 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 07:33 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
True but you don't get huge snow dumpers consistently every year.. I love snow as a cross country skier and we would have 1 bad winter followed by many years of not much snow.. I was often disappointed.
True as well. I guess NYC is no better though and probably worse if 50 cm melts in two or three days.

For x-country skiing to be really dependable you have to go just north of Toronto, or northeast towards Ottawa and Quebec. But you likely already know that.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:14 PM

182 posts, read 454,687 times
Well as you said, Not to live in the city, which i think is wrong, I dunt actaully like the suburbs like Brampton or Mississauga, What would be an ideal choice for him is to live downtown, not exactly but near downtown like Eglinton, or maybe little bit lower. and commute is easy from there, its not worth it to live in Burlington and those far-ish places, GO train is not bad, but those places are pretty far from the city. Tell me what you think

Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 PM

Well crime, absolutely stay away from Jane and Finch, everyone knows about that, Scarborough are not that great either in terms of crime. Stay like in the Middle of Toronto on the map it self. I am not sure where you can get a 285k house in Toronto, i dunt think its possible. The average price is 400k + in the good areas like between Keele and Yonge. Downsview is a beautiful place, its around Keele and Wilson, try that on MLS or google. Maybe the Cheapest houses closest to downtown is around Silverthorn, thats Keele and Eglinton, read this Silverthorn, Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-25-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
True as well. I guess NYC is no better though and probably worse if 50 cm melts in two or three days.

For x-country skiing to be really dependable you have to go just north of Toronto, or northeast towards Ottawa and Quebec. But you likely already know that.
Yes both cities were not conducive for x-c skiing!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:

QUOTE=anitra416;17766888]Hi live. You can get a good sense of housing costs by browsing through REALTOR.ca - Welcome (formerly MLS) site.

-Desirable areas include those closest to subway lines and located near certain schools. Unlike some US cities, many people have chosen to live close to downtown, and thus make Toronto's core a desirable place to live. To generalize, areas to avoid are Toronto's "inner suburbs", which are located in a ring around the core near highway 401. It's hard to advise you not knowing your preferences.

-Thousands of people commute to work in downtown Toronto from outside communities such as Burlington, Oakville, Mississauga, Hamilton, Barrie, Whitby, Pickering, Oshawa etc by commuter train (the GoTrain). Most of these commutes by train range from 30 to 60 minutes. Others choose to suffer in their cars in some of the worst gridlock in North America. Commuter hell is why some choose to pay a premium to live closer to downtown. I think it's possible to easily spend 2 hours in your car one way.

-Toronto is Canada's largest city, it has all the attractions of a large multicultural city : professional theatre and performance, music, art, food and cultural festivals, concerts for every taste, restaurants of every type and price point, art galleries, parks, professional and amateur sport, etc. Some nice Toronto attributes : walkable charming neighbourhoods, Toronto Islands park. Some not so nice : bland ugly architecture, hard to quickly escape to countryside (located in sprawl) and sometimes lacks a certain "joie de vivre" (just my opinion).

-As Canada's largest city, Toronto is the hub of Canada's finance and insurance industries, therefore our major banks and brokerage houses are headquartered here. Most major tech companies (Microsoft, IBM etc) have offices in the GTA - Toronto also has quite a few startups. Toronto is where the majority of Canada's media outlets are located and has a large film, TV and video game industry presence as well. There are also major research hospitals located here, as well as three universities. This is off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

-Average winter temp is probably -5 to -10 celsius. We do not get as much snow as cities like Buffalo or even NYC. The cold in Toronto is damp however and it often feels colder than it actually is.

-Crime : Toronto is an overwhelmingly safe city. Gun crime is rare and mostly confined to gang-related activity. To generalize, gangs tend to be located in "inner suburb" areas.

-Schools : don't know this one. You can google this though, there is a lot of information on which schools are better performers in Toronto.

-Taxes : Property taxes will differ whether you choose to live in the City of Toronto proper, or in another surrounding community. City of Toronto taxes are based on the assessed value of the property. Check out this link from the City. City of Toronto: Property Tax

Hope that helps.
[/quote]
where do you live now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto