Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 02:20 PM

13 posts, read 146,942 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from NY to Toronto at the end of the month and am researching how to handle cell phone service. In addition to local service advice, I should point out that I will be calling the States on a frequent basis. I have only a cell phone now, but I would consider getting a land line if it proved to be cost effective for long-distance, or I could go the online route.

I'm interested in carriers that have good plans to roaming IN the United States as well, though in the near term I may actually just switch to a $30/mo plan and keep my cell phone for now.

I hope this isn't too vague: just wondering if anything leaps to mind. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 02:53 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,851,997 times
A word of advice, if you're not looking for a combo package with your internet and cable tv, DO NOT go with Rogers. I'd suggest Bell if you just want mobile phone service alone.

You can visit http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpWls_Landing.page and begin your research there.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Thanks! I'll probably be just looking at phone and internet in the near-term. Cable is great but not a necessity.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:08 PM

178 posts, read 523,578 times
Keep your US cell phone if you do a lot of calls to the US. It doesn't matter if you live in Canada, they will let you keep it. I don't know why you want a landline?

In Canada a basic cell phone plan will cost you 50 dollars a month which will go up to $150 to $200 once you factor in long distance to the US. Actually, in Canada long distance can be classified as 30 miles away.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:48 PM

I assume that to keep my US phone/carrier and live in Canada, I'd have to have a plan without roaming charges, but I can't find one. It appears Verizon had one in the past, but I can't confirm that they still do.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:28 PM

398 posts, read 732,245 times
Verizon has a North America plan, that is the best bet if you will be calling the U.S. and wish to roam when back in the states. All the Canadian company's plans are more expensive and you would have to keep one phone for use in Canada and another phone for use in the U.S.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:05 PM

207 posts, read 925,899 times
I kept my AT&T account and added their "Canada plan", which offers free roaming (Rogers, Bell, Telus, etc...). Additionally, I have a virtual Canadian number via Magicjack, for my Canadian contacts, that is set to forward all calls to my U.S. mobile phone number.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:16 PM

681 posts, read 2,799,072 times
If your going the landline route, I'd pick up Vonage before you leave the US and get yourself a New York Number. I believe they have a World plan for $29.00/month ... I'm sure they also have a north america plan but not too sure.

This way when you come to Canada, you can call the US and Canada unlimited and people you know in New York, or in the US that have unlimited nationwide calling, can also call you without incurring long distance charges.

Last edited by mricu; 03-03-2011 at 07:57 PM..

Old 03-17-2013, 03:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,532 times
Arrow GEO3000 to locate any mobile handset

Hello

In NY i suggest you to go on [url=http://www.geo3000.com]GEO3000 - Cell Phone Tracking[/url]

You will be able to [url=http://www.geo3000.com]locate any phone located in United States[/url]

As far as i know they should provide soon same service for Canada

So if you go in Toronto and change with local phone carrier i guess you will be able to locate your phone.

For my part i m in US on AT&T operator and that works great

I use it to track my children

[url=http://www.geo3000.com]http://mylocation.geo3000.com/images...0-location.JPG[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto