U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-13-2011, 10:37 PM

4 posts, read 13,264 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

So I'm moving to Toronto and I've narrowed my housing search down to two areas: either Downtown (Yonge/College area) or Midtown (Yonge/Eglinton). Condo rental price will be pretty similar in both areas... and my friend's parents are renting out a 1-bedroom unit in the Minto at Yonge/Eg that I'm getting a bit of a discount on (albeit not anything significant).

Just wanted to get people's thoughts on what the benefits/cons of living in both areas are. I'm a single male, young professional in my mid-20's. I know downtown is better for night clubs and such, but Yonge/Eg seems like a great place too (albeit more for the pubs/bars atmosphere). Apparently there's also a night club at Yonge/Eg called Six Degrees, has anyone been there before? What's the social dynamic like in the area - in terms of relative ease in meeting people, mixing and mingling, networking with others, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 10:41 PM

236 posts, read 383,919 times
Yonge and Eglinton is nicknamed "young and eligible"... lots of young singles in that area.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:26 AM

30 posts, read 63,572 times
Lots of young singles in the area. Although you may not find a lot of people coming uptown for the clubs, there's lots of GREAT restaurants in the area.

Lots of pub/bars as you said, but you have to remember, you are only about a 20 min subway ride away from the "downtown life" .

Riocan (property managers of Yonge/Eg Center) are spending a lot of money to fix up the mall/office towers at 2300 Yonge. Hopefully other business owners will follow and the area becomes more like Yonge&Dundas.

I cant really comment much on the Yonge/College area. I did work in that area for a bit. During the day is OK, lots of foot traffic. During the night, it gets a bit too shady for me.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:28 PM

364 posts, read 366,066 times
If you like women you'll move to Yonge/Eg, which is where I live. It's an upscale meat market here!

Old 08-16-2011, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 5,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
If you like women you'll move to Yonge/Eg, which is where I live. It's an upscale meat market here!
I've been at yonge/eg now for almost a year and am considering moving downtown once my lease is up.

If yonge/eg is an upscale meat market like you say, I'm yet to find it. There are 2-3 bars in the area of which only one is good. 6 degrees is so overpriced ($40 cover!!) that it's beyond ridiculous.

I'm all about meeting the ladies...out of curiosity what makes you say that it's a meat market here?

Old 10-18-2011, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 4,943 times
Default Yonge/Eglinton vs Downtown

I work at Yonge & Eglinton and find the area very appealing. I would love to live here as well, but so far haven't found an affordable place. There are many great businesses in the area, like mine - therefore many professional people. Yes it's true that there are singles in the area, but there are also lots of families and many cultures. There are great services, restaurants, food, movie theatres, shopping, schools, etc. Downtown has all that as well, but is just has a different 'feel'. You have to go with what feels like home to you. Hope that helps.
Maya

Old 10-20-2011, 08:27 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,193,150 times
Yonge and College is not a shady area at night, let me just say that. Probably not as interesting in the evenings as Yonge&Eg, but you do have access to the whole downtown, the Entertainment District, for instance, from Yonge and College.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 7,355 times
i personally think yonge and eg is quite nice because it's convenient to go both ways (downtown and uptown), there are lots of nice restaurants/bars, and doesn't feel overly crowded as dt does. However some of the clubs in the neighbourhood seem a bit shady... downtown definitely got more quality clubs if that's important to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto