Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,067 times

Advertisements

Hey there everybody! I am new to this so not sure if I am even doing this right. My name is Thomas. I am from Tipperary in Ireland and I am looking to move to Toronto to live and work for at least a year (hopefully more seems as how hard it is to get work here now). I am a fully qualified Carpenter and would love to know if anyone out there can help me in anyway possible ie good agencies to contact, what areas are the best for construction work so on and so forth. Any help would be very very much appreciated
Also, I am moving on my own and am kinda freaking out about a place to live for the first while anyway and was wondering if anyone knew good places to move that won't get me killed ;0 and even where to go to meet new people and friends.
I really hope someone out there can help me, a lot of people have told me how helpful people can be on this
Thanks and I hope to hear back soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 01:58 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
Something I don't see you ask about.. You need to start here to make sure you are eligible to work in Canada..Working temporarily in Canada

No point in any of the rest of it if you can't work legally

Old 10-17-2011, 02:30 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
As soon as you get here try as hard as you can to get into the carpenters union. It's a good paying trade when you are in the union and the work has been very steady for the last few years. Even during the recession my son in law has never been off work.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:24 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,705 times
Quote:
I am a fully qualified Carpenter and would love to know if anyone out there can help me in anyway possible ie good agencies to contact, what areas are the best for construction work so on and so forth.
I entered the keywords "carpenter" and "Ontario", 70 job ads appeared at WowJobs.ca

I repeated the same for Alberta, 140 carpenter job ads showed up.
Then Saskatchewan, only 69. But 217 postings at saskjobs.ca
SaskJobs.ca - Job Search Results (http://tinyurl.com/3g3v9op - broken link)

Quote:
Also, I am moving on my own and am kinda freaking out about a place to live for the first while anyway and was wondering if anyone knew good places to move that won't get me killed ;0 and even where to go to meet new people and friends.
Don't think you need language training that can benefit your employer a tax credit from the government. Nevertheless, information on this site are useful for all newcomers to Ontario.
Information about housing newcomers to Ontario can trust (http://tinyurl.com/3nuxsxr - broken link)

Good luck.

p.s.
Red Seal Trades - Carpenter certification
http://www.red-seal.ca/tr.1d.2@-eng....&tid=38&tid=38

Old 10-19-2011, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,067 times
Thanks a million guys for all your help! I will get on that straight away.
Do I still have to apply for the work permit even though I am moving over on the IEC visa? I thought that the visa I have means I can work and travel? And do I have to get a PPS number or I think ye call it a social security number to work?

Old 10-19-2011, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanks00001 View Post
Thanks a million guys for all your help! I will get on that straight away.
Do I still have to apply for the work permit even though I am moving over on the IEC visa? I thought that the visa I have means I can work and travel? And do I have to get a PPS number or I think ye call it a social security number to work?

Great news buddy! you should inquire with the Canadian Embassy for the type of visa you should apply for. If you do successfully get the appropriate permit, I can help you with your move to Toronto as I am an experienced Realtor. contact me for any issues you may have related to your transition to Toronto, including getting rental places, social events, contacts etc. Feel free to DM me. **Moderator cut**

Last edited by sunshineleith; 10-22-2011 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: Please read the Terms of Service again. Thanks

Old 10-19-2011, 04:20 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanks00001 View Post
Do I still have to apply for the work permit even though I am moving over on the IEC visa? I thought that the visa I have means I can work and travel?
You'll be fine. You can find the information you want on C.I.C.'s website:
Working temporarily in Canada: Arriving

Quote:
Presenting your documents
When you enter Canada, explain to the immigration officer that you have come here to work. Be prepared to show supporting documents, such as your letter of offer of employment. If you have the confirmation number for your offer, give it to the immigration officer.
If you have a letter from Citizenship and Immigration Canada saying that you are authorized to come to Canada to work, bring it with you when you come to Canada. This letter is not a travel document and it is not your work permit, but it can help support your entry to work in Canada.

Once the immigration officer has checked your documents, the officer will print the actual permit for you.
Quote:
And do I have to get a PPS number or I think ye call it a social security number to work?
Yes. The immigration officer at *Toronto's airport where you will disembark, will give you the necessary information. If not, make sure you ask him/her.

Quote:
Getting a social insurance number
You must have a social insurance number (SIN) to work in Canada.
1) You can pick up an application form for a SIN at *the point where you enter Canada.
2) You can also download the form from the Service Canada website.
- You can mail the completed application form and the necessary identification, or
- you can submit it in person. Instructions are given on the form.
When you receive your SIN card, give the number on it to your employer.
You may not be eligible for a coverage of OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan), since you do not "have a formal agreement in place to work full-time for an employer situated in Ontario".
Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care - Public Information - Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan - OHIP Eligibility

There are good information from "Ireland Canada Chamber of Commerce Toronto".
http://www.irishjobs.ca/New_Arrival_eBook_Jan_2011.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto