Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 11:21 AM

68 posts, read 107,766 times

Advertisements

Without going into detail last week someone jokingly suggested I move to Canada (It is unseasonably warm here currently and I prefer the cold) But it got me thinking, so I got the book "How to move to Canada, a Primer for Americans"

And I plan on visiting Toronto sometime in late march-early april to see how I like it (just a weekend) and if I do then I will attempt to take the steps to actually move. The book said about a work visa and such (I'm one to look a year in the future not permanant so I do not know if I would plan on becoming a citizen or if it would be a 1 year stay)

This is all relevant because like most American college students, to put it politely, we have nothing (I own a year 2000 car worth about 4000$ a computer worth about 1000, and about 1000 worth of other things including clothes and living items) so I thought what better time to move somewhere different and start anew.

I do know the most important thing about moving is finding a job though, how would I do this? Obviously it is impossible for me to walk into a building and submit a resume.

If it is relevant I have job experience in restraunts and retail. I speak English fluently (and have a very minimal understanding of Arabic, taken through school as a challenging course, when I say minimal I mean alphabet and other basics) I have an associates (a 2 year degree) in liberal arts (pretty much a continuance of high school) and my current degree (which will be complete in may) is so specialized it isn't worth noting as anything more than a generic degree (such as liberal arts, business, etc)

Thank you for reading and assisting me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 AM

68 posts, read 107,766 times
(no offense intended on this) Also worth noting is that my attire and mannerisms are acceptable for business scenarios (as in I do not have any piercings, tattoos, or otherwise wild features) Also I do not smoke or partake in any illegal substances

Lastly I would not be bringing any family or other things with me (just me,my car, and a suitcase)

Old 01-19-2012, 08:21 PM

86 posts, read 222,186 times
You can't just go and find a job in Canada, for the same reason that foreigners can't just come and find a job in the US. You need a work permit, in order to get a work permit, your employer has to demonstrate that they can't find a Canadian with your skills and qualifications. Basically they're not going to issue you a work permit if you are applying for a job that a Canadian could be doing.

Canada used to be a lot looser about this, I have an Indian friend in Toronto who got a job and a work permit in IT about 2 years ago. Starting this year though he tells me that they are really tightening the screws and his employer has to advertise his position in the papers and show that they can't find any qualified Canadians who want his job in order for him to get his work permit renewed.

He has several years of experience in IT in the US and a masters in computer science from a top 10 US university. I don't want to pour cold water on you, but Canada is a lot harder to get into nowadays than a few years ago. Now that the economy is not so good a lot of people want to go to Canada for the social benefits so they have to be a lot more selective about who they let in.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:26 PM

5 posts, read 17,798 times
Over the past few years it's become very hard to work in Canada like this because unless there are skill shortages (which there aren't in your field) it's not allowed by the government. I do however know it's easier to apply for citizenship if you have a job arranged for you in Canada if you are interested in that. But to come, work for a year and leave, it's near impossible other than a few exceptions like athletes, crew members, entertainers, examiners and evaluators, judges, foreign reps., students working on campus, military and there are some others. I would say visit and if you like it try and arrange a job and apply for citizenship.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:00 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port65 View Post
Over the past few years it's become very hard to work in Canada like this because unless there are skill shortages (which there aren't in your field) it's not allowed by the government. I do however know it's easier to apply for citizenship if you have a job arranged for you in Canada if you are interested in that. But to come, work for a year and leave, it's near impossible other than a few exceptions like athletes, crew members, entertainers, examiners and evaluators, judges, foreign reps., students working on campus, military and there are some others. I would say visit and if you like it try and arrange a job and apply for citizenship.
You are forgetting one step. He needs to become a permanent resident and reside in Canada for 3 years before he can apply for citizenship.

A work visa does not entitle one for citizenship.

Best bet would be to go to Canadian immigration web site and see if you have enough points to qualify.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:21 PM

86 posts, read 222,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
You are forgetting one step. He needs to become a permanent resident and reside in Canada for 3 years before he can apply for citizenship.

A work visa does not entitle one for citizenship.

Best bet would be to go to Canadian immigration web site and see if you have enough points to qualify.
As a fresh college graduate with no Canadian experience it's almost certain that he wouldn't qualify. If it were that easy unemployed American graduates would be flooding into Canada just for the health care.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:33 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhang1 View Post
As a fresh college graduate with no Canadian experience it's almost certain that he wouldn't qualify. If it were that easy unemployed American graduates would be flooding into Canada just for the health care.

True. But with ever single "I wnt to move to Canada" thread thts the one piece of advice that is common. Check first if one even qualifies before coming to CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto