Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 02:48 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times

Advertisements

When you read a book, or the newspaper, it is structured so that it is easy to read. That is where you fail.

Break the wall into smaller pieces, called paragraphs, and space them so that they are easier to see. A sentence should have a complete thought in it. A paragraph is a longer complete thought, or a collection of thoughts.

You probably write the same way that you speak, in a rush. Slow down and take the time to think about what you are trying to convey to the reader. If it is worth saying, it is worth saying properly, yes ?

Jim B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 05:06 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,458 times
Oh look, black lives matter right?? >_>

Toronto police seek 2 persons of interest in deadly Muzik shooting - Toronto - CBC News

So will we see those Black lives matter protesters that were blocking traffic on Allen expressway last week show up demanding 'NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE'? OF COURSE they won't be anywhere seen, because this was a black on black crime. Such F**KING HYPOCRITES those people are.

I don't know how these people can demand blacks be treated equally and then not look at incident after incident like this and not be intelligent enough to understand that MAYBE JUST MAYBE with all these murders and crimes happening among them that they DO indeed need more policing to try and keep the problem in check.

I mean hell, this event had TONS of private security AND police officers and STILL a shooting like this happened. What does it say about blacks when despite all this presence, some of them STILL didn't give a damn and brought guns with them to this event and when something went down they decided to use them to kill people? Doesn't that show that blacks DO need to be scrutinized and policed more?

In contrast I was just at an event called Night It Up in Markham last week which was a food event that involved mostly asians and despite TENS OF THOUSANDS of people attending the event during the weekend there was NOT ONE INCIDENT. When I went, I'm not even sure I saw more than two cops there and everyone was just having a good time with no problems at all.

The bottom line is that blacks are policed more because THEY NEED to be policed more and I really wish they would stop with all this racism talk when its pretty damn clear that many blacks in Toronto are violent and need to be kept in check before things get even more out of control.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:45 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
Default Sorry .... Still does not add up, but nice try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post

Toronto police seek 2 persons of interest in deadly Muzik shooting - Toronto - CBC News

So will we see those Black lives matter protesters that were blocking traffic on Allen expressway last week show up demanding 'NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE'? OF COURSE they won't be anywhere seen, because this was a black on black crime. Such F**KING HYPOCRITES those people are.

I don't know how these people can demand blacks be treated equally and then not look at incident after incident like this and not be intelligent enough to understand that MAYBE JUST MAYBE with all these murders and crimes happening among them that they DO indeed need more policing to try and keep the problem in check.

I mean hell, this event had TONS of private security AND police officers and STILL a shooting like this happened. What does it say about blacks when despite all this presence, some of them STILL didn't give a damn and brought guns with them to this event and when something went down they decided to use them to kill people? Doesn't that show that blacks DO need to be scrutinized and policed more?

In contrast I was just at an event called Night It Up in Markham last week which was a food event that involved mostly asians and despite TENS OF THOUSANDS of people attending the event during the weekend there was NOT ONE INCIDENT. When I went, I'm not even sure I saw more than two cops there and everyone was just having a good time with no problems at all.

The bottom line is that blacks are policed more because THEY NEED to be policed more and I really wish they would stop with all this racism talk when its pretty damn clear that many blacks in Toronto are violent and need to be kept in check before things get even more out of control.
Nice try Max. Based on the train of thought expressed all white men should be monitored more closely as they have a higher rate of being serial killers and rapists, but there not. There was a shooting in Woodbridge not too long ago ... Do the police harass all Italians? The police are a public service that are working for the people. This incident you are speaking about involved individual people. This is not even close to the same thing.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:46 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Thank you for sharing Chevvy. I guess we have alot in common then.

While it may not have been about race in the 70's, it unfortunately has become about race these days. There is just too much data to ignore the connection between race and police carding (Questioning) to think that the focus is equally spread across racial lines.

While you were a young kid out for a late night and doing what young kids do, I was just an MBA student with a backpack on leaving an International Financial Management class the last time I was questioned, carded and told to "hold the wall". So I think the standard of who is deemed suspicious has changed slightly over the years.
We may have a lot in common, Edward.

I ran with a rough crowd in those days, but I managed an undergrad degree, and then a law degree. Today, I represent those accused in criminal courts; but more importantly, I represent minorities in Human Rights matters. Knowing what I know now, I'd be taking Metro to task every day for asking kids (white, black, yellow, red, green, who cares) for ID for no reason. I've been there, done that, and bought the @#$% T-shirt. You better believe that I stand for any and all rights my clients are granted under the Charter and other legislation.

ETA: We had better times downtown. Maybe because there were so many unsavory creatures that we just faded into the background. I well remember Yonge Street in the mid-1970s: massage parlors everywhere (and we knew what those really were), pimps with purple coats and big hats with feathers and plenty of bling (yep, they actually existed on Yonge), and "curb crawlers," as we called them, which were Metro police cruisers that drove the curb lane at 5 mph. In such an atmosphere, we blended in to the background, and were left alone. But in North Toronto, we stood out, and were a target.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 08-04-2015 at 11:58 PM..

Old 08-05-2015, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Nice try Max. Based on the train of thought expressed all white men should be monitored more closely as they have a higher rate of being serial killers and rapists, but there not. There was a shooting in Woodbridge not too long ago ... Do the police harass all Italians? The police are a public service that are working for the people. This incident you are speaking about involved individual people. This is not even close to the same thing.
The problem with your example is the number of white serial killers in Toronto is practically zero and the number of white rapists in this city is probably as many or less than the number of black rapists here.

Also you don't seem to understand that there's a difference between ISOLATED INCIDENTS and a persistent and continuous problem. And unless you're talking about a different incident, the shooter in that Woodbridge incident was BLACK.

Woodbridge café where two shot to death housed ‘gaming operation’ | CP24.com

There was a stabbing right after the Caribana parade that involved blacks and then there was the shooting yesterday that involved blacks. Out of all the people people who have been shot or stabbed or murdered this year, how much do you want to bet that the majority of those incidents involved blacks? I don't know who in their right mind wouldn't consider that a persistent and significant problem in this city when most of the suspects or victims of violent crime are black year after year.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:44 PM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:

Actually Max if you understood or spent any time within the Toronto Black community you would know that there are countless organizations in place that address black v. black crime in the city. I would agree that as a community we need to own much of this at the same time we also need to look at the root cause and it is not always the knee jerk "the parents suck" response.

With all that said, carding and racial profiling is still in place as a TPS policy and this murder at Muzik still happened. Did the profiling of innocent civilians do anything to assist the police in stopping this crime from happening? Do you think they are relying on profiling and carding data to hunt down the shooters? I am pretty sure that they are interviewing people who were there at the scene and reviewing security footage....you know doing actual police work.

No one has been able to prove statistically that carding keeps the city safe, the Police board has been peppered with requests to present just that and they have still been unable to do it. It is lazy and illegal and it has nothing to do with a shooting that happened at a nightclub. So you are going to have to come up with a much better reason to harass innocent people because some thug shot up a club.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Actually Max if you understood or spent any time within the Toronto Black community you would know that there are countless organizations in place that address black v. black crime in the city. I would agree that as a community we need to own much of this at the same time we also need to look at the root cause and it is not always the knee jerk "the parents suck" response.

With all that said, carding and racial profiling is still in place as a TPS policy and this murder at Muzik still happened. Did the profiling of innocent civilians do anything to assist the police in stopping this crime from happening? Do you think they are relying on profiling and carding data to hunt down the shooters? I am pretty sure that they are interviewing people who were there at the scene and reviewing security footage....you know doing actual police work.

No one has been able to prove statistically that carding keeps the city safe, the Police board has been peppered with requests to present just that and they have still been unable to do it. It is lazy and illegal and it has nothing to do with a shooting that happened at a nightclub. So you are going to have to come up with a much better reason to harass innocent people because some thug shot up a club.
Whatever these 'countless organizations' are doing in black communities, clearly its not that effective because since my last post the body count as well as the number of injured have been going up week by week and yet black people STILL rant and rage over this carding issue.

Again this week they're STILL complaining about it, but again I say what REAL DIFFERENCE will it make if it magically completely disappeared tomorrow? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Blacks WILL NOT suddenly become more happy and more peaceful and commit less crime and violence. They'll just keep on doing what they've always done. So I'm fine if carding was completely eliminated, if only to shut black people up for a little while before they complain about something else rather than looking to themselves and admitting that THEY'RE the source of most of their problems.

And you know they have some serious problems when blacks are THE ONLY group of people that constantly talk about needing a 'better relationship with police'. I don't know about you, but I've NEVER heard of any other ethnic group talk about needing a better relationship with police, mainly because most non-blacks stay away from committing crime and hence don't interact with police all that much. The fact that so many blacks constantly talk about wanting a better relationship with cops shows just how screwed up they have been for so many years.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:51 PM

Max the undertone of your comments really really really highlights the fact that YOU just don't get it. Blacks are not the only group that has a hx of poor relations with the police. The city and most of the world for the most part has not worked out their relations with the Roma community. The Muslim community in Toronto also continues to work closely with Toronto Police services to build their relationships. Let's be real here, anyone who really understands stands crime and is able to look beyond the smoke and mirrors knows the biggest and worst criminals in this city are hiding in their mansions, driving their fancy cars under the front of being "business men" and have the means and connections to continually get away with their crimes. But we all know that we can't pry in to this type of person's business because there would be consequences.

There is no denying that the black community as a whole has social concerns in the city, but why does it mean that every black person should be treated as a criminal. Under the law we should all be treated as equals and people are innocent until proven guilty of something. If a person grows up in a society that continually implies that people that look like them are dangerous and criminals it oppresses their ambition to try to become something more.

What also concerns me is what is this "black community" you are referring too? People that are black fall in to so many subcategories ex. Is this person from the Caribbean and black, South American and black, French and Black, Somali and Black. I really do not think you can address problems in the black Somali community the same way you can address problems in the black Caribbean community. The cultural and social issues are not the same. I am not black, but always find this lumping together of the "black community" in Toronto a bit of a double edge sword.

Black, white, brown, olive to me describes that general tone of someone's skin. Common sense should remind us that this does not give anyone a complete picture of who anyone is. This is only one attribute of a person. I had a friend in high school that was black and African and she always found it really annoying that people assumed she liked RB and hip hop music. Her usual reply was to the effect of ... "I am not American. This music has nothing to do with my cultural. Do you realize that all black people are not American?"

There are so many social issues in this city that the average person in Toronto including myself does not usually notice. As someone who grew up in a working class area of the city and has been able to climb my way out I am a little ashamed to admit I have started to forget the reality of life for the working class in Toronto, most of which are visible minorities. If someone like me who grew up in a working class area of the city is losing touch with this, if don't think it is a stretch to assume that someone who is not a visible minority and/or does not live in a working class area in the city has a slightest clue regarding what it is like to be sitting in that position. Crime and poverty are linked. Efforts in place in the city to address these concerns may take generations before obvious improvements are noticeable. There is no quick fix.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Max the undertone of your comments really really really highlights the fact that YOU just don't get it. Blacks are not the only group that has a hx of poor relations with the police. The city and most of the world for the most part has not worked out their relations with the Roma community. The Muslim community in Toronto also continues to work closely with Toronto Police services to build their relationships. Let's be real here, anyone who really understands stands crime and is able to look beyond the smoke and mirrors knows the biggest and worst criminals in this city are hiding in their mansions, driving their fancy cars under the front of being "business men" and have the means and connections to continually get away with their crimes. But we all know that we can't pry in to this type of person's business because there would be consequences.
Blacks and Muslims. The two groups that have the most crime and violence problems and therefore have the most contact with police and surprise, surprise are the only ones that need to 'build better relationships with police'. Again I have yet to hear asian people or Indians or Greeks or people from practically any other ethnic group in Toronto EVER express interest in building better relations with police.

Could it be that non-blacks generally don't get in trouble very often and therefore don't need to interact with police much? And also even when they do have crime problems in their communities, why does it usually get cleaned up pretty quickly? Probably because they actually GIVE A SH$T ABOUT THEIR COMMUNTIES and therefore HELP police to clean up their neighborhoods rather than stonewalling police and allowing the problem to remain and even grow worse like blacks do.

Quote:
There is no denying that the black community as a whole has social concerns in the city, but why does it mean that every black person should be treated as a criminal. Under the law we should all be treated as equals and people are innocent until proven guilty of something. If a person grows up in a society that continually implies that people that look like them are dangerous and criminals it oppresses their ambition to try to become something more.
The thing is blacks mostly ARE being treated equally even if many of them DO NOT behave the same as non-blacks do. With regards to policing, why do blacks expect equal treatment when they commit so much crime and murder relative to anyone else? Obviously not every black person is a criminal, but too many blacks SUPPORT these criminals by hiding them and not ratting them out to police to get them off the streets. And many blacks sure as hell aren't doing a good job of raising their kids and keeping them away from these criminals who might pollute their children.

Quote:
What also concerns me is what is this "black community" you are referring too? People that are black fall in to so many subcategories ex. Is this person from the Caribbean and black, South American and black, French and Black, Somali and Black. I really do not think you can address problems in the black Somali community the same way you can address problems in the black Caribbean community. The cultural and social issues are not the same. I am not black, but always find this lumping together of the "black community" in Toronto a bit of a double edge sword.
Sure there are subcategories, but you tell me which one of these subcategories of blacks are doing really well and are mostly unaffected by crime, violence and murder? I can tell you EVERY SINGLE group of asians in Toronto have extremely low crime and murder rates. Tell me which groups of blacks can say the same here?

The point is even if they come from different places, when they arrive in Canada too many of them BEHAVE IN THE SAME MANNER. It doesn't matter if they're born here or are Jamaican Canadians or are Somali Canadians etc. many of them STILL feel the need to commit crime, feel the need to arm themselves with weapons and to use them to kill people. And THAT is why people see blacks as a single group. Because of their BEHAVIOR and not just because of their skin color.

Quote:
Crime and poverty are linked. Efforts in place in the city to address these concerns may take generations before obvious improvements are noticeable. There is no quick fix.
Disagree. Poverty IS NOT the main reason why blacks are as violent as they are. There are more poor non-black people in the GTA than there are total black people living in the GTA and yet all those improvished non-black people ARE NOT COMMITTING CRIME AND MURDER. All those poor non-black children ARE NOT getting a hold of guns and then using them to kill anytime someone pisses them off. These non-black kids are also NOT joining gangs and NOT committing crime for the most part. SO you tell me if this is all a result of poverty, why can non-black kids mostly stay away from crime and so many black kids can't do the same?

And NO it DOESN'T take generations to solves these problems. Only blacks need that much time to produce so little results, while everyone else either never had any issues to begin with or they quickly resolve them within a generation or two.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Blacks and Muslims. The two groups that have the most crime and violence problems and therefore have the most contact with police and surprise, surprise are the only ones that need to 'build better relationships with police'. Again I have yet to hear asian people or Indians or Greeks or people from practically any other ethnic group in Toronto EVER express interest in building better relations with police.

Could it be that non-blacks generally don't get in trouble very often and therefore don't need to interact with police much? And also even when they do have crime problems in their communities, why does it usually get cleaned up pretty quickly? Probably because they actually GIVE A SH$T ABOUT THEIR COMMUNTIES and therefore HELP police to clean up their neighborhoods rather than stonewalling police and allowing the problem to remain and even grow worse like blacks do.

The thing is blacks mostly ARE being treated equally even if many of them DO NOT behave the same as non-blacks do. With regards to policing, why do blacks expect equal treatment when they commit so much crime and murder relative to anyone else? Obviously not every black person is a criminal, but too many blacks SUPPORT these criminals by hiding them and not ratting them out to police to get them off the streets. And many blacks sure as hell aren't doing a good job of raising their kids and keeping them away from these criminals who might pollute their children.

Sure there are subcategories, but you tell me which one of these subcategories of blacks are doing really well and are mostly unaffected by crime, violence and murder? I can tell you EVERY SINGLE group of asians in Toronto have extremely low crime and murder rates. Tell me which groups of blacks can say the same here?

The point is even if they come from different places, when they arrive in Canada too many of them BEHAVE IN THE SAME MANNER. It doesn't matter if they're born here or are Jamaican Canadians or are Somali Canadians etc. many of them STILL feel the need to commit crime, feel the need to arm themselves with weapons and to use them to kill people. And THAT is why people see blacks as a single group. Because of their BEHAVIOR and not just because of their skin color.

Disagree. Poverty IS NOT the main reason why blacks are as violent as they are. There are more poor non-black people in the GTA than there are total black people living in the GTA and yet all those improvished non-black people ARE NOT COMMITTING CRIME AND MURDER. All those poor non-black children ARE NOT getting a hold of guns and then using them to kill anytime someone pisses them off. These non-black kids are also NOT joining gangs and NOT committing crime for the most part. SO you tell me if this is all a result of poverty, why can non-black kids mostly stay away from crime and so many black kids can't do the same?

And NO it DOESN'T take generations to solves these problems. Only blacks need that much time to produce so little results, while everyone else either never had any issues to begin with or they quickly resolve them within a generation or two.

Dear Max Sterling,

I could call you out on being a racist by highlighting all the things you are just written that would support that, but that would just be too easy.

It is what you have said and the way you have write it that is the best example of why there is mistrust between visible minoroties and the police as a whole. When you look at crime as a whole in this city it is not that high in general. Most of the people involved in these higher profile crimes tend to come from lower income areas of the city and have parents that are visble minorities. If you look at people from Somali, Sudan or other places in that region of Africa they often have parents that have come here as refugees fleeing violent war torn regions of the world. They come here and they are put in to areas with other people in the city that have higher rates of crimes and gang activity. They have parents that often have to work longer hours/ 12-16 hours a day at lower paying jobs just to get buy. This also takes away from the time that these parents have to take care of their kids. There are high rates of single parents in these communities in addition to that.

Being under the radar is a strange thing. People are almost expecting you to be a bad person, so every little thing you do is judged more harshly. It eventually causes a person to give up. The other Asians you are referring to have their own huge and problematic issues, but they do not make the news as readily, they do not speak English as a first language (ex like Black people from the Caribbean) and are more likely to stick to themselves and do not engage with outsiders. This causes them to be less under the radar. Their crimes go unnoticed for the most part.

I know a nurse that works in one of these lower income areas of the city and she would always say that the amount of stuff that goes on in the city that does not make the papers is insane. Some of these Asian communities have crazy high rates of domestic abuse that goes unreported because the community and language barriers cover the issues up. They have high rates of explotation of new immigrants and refugees in their communities and human trafficking which also does not tend to make the papers. Are we saying crime only matter when it makes the papers? It is okay that every night this stressed Asian man goes home and beats his wife to a pulp, but as long as he does not get in to fight with someone in the street it is okay? It is okay that this Asian man is holding hostage the other Asian man's or woman's passport and documents and forcing him work for free, below the fair wage or as a sex trade worker.

There are also different cultural norms that need to be considered. Asians tend to be seen as more submissive (which is also deeming and has unfavourable connotations). People from Africa and the Caribbean tend to speak louder. Anglo Saxon people often take that as they are being rude or aggressive, but that is not really the intent. This is just a cultural norm. Black communities in the Caribbean have been dealing with racism, oppression and poverty for a really long time. When for generations you are being oppressed and surrounding by a system that is also supporting your oppression it is very often that you do give up because it seems like the rest of the world continues to want you to fail. Success seems so outside of a possibility that it does not even seem like an option.

The world is changing. This generation of Black North American teens will be growing up with even more high profile role models ex. Barack Obama, Michaelle Jean, Condoleezza Rice, Oprah Winfrey are reminding the world as well as blacks people that people that look this way (black) are capable of anything that any other human is capable of.

I think with regards to understanding poverty, oppression and the barriers to overcoming it if you have not really walked in those shoes or have grown up in very close proximity to people walking in those shoes you likely do not understand how complex it is. That being said these same people growing up and living in working class areas of the city often don't get very wealthy white Anglo Saxon people either. Should they be judging them more harshly ex. you grew up with a siliver spoon in your mouth and what???... this is all you were able to achieve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto