Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 PM

17,171 posts, read 21,830,506 times

Advertisements

Shooting up to Canada in June with two elementary age kids. We will hit Wonderland for sure but looking for other stuff to entertain them. Trying to get some art/history/architecture in on the visit, not just theme parks and souvenir shops!

Where is the best place to stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 03:06 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,265,681 times
This would be my choice. Kids eat free (or half price), huge waterslide, games room, etc. Delta is really family friendly. Mississauga Hotels Ontario Toronto Meadowvale Accommodation Family Travel Information It's 40 minutes from central Toronto.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 05-01-2012 at 06:35 AM..

Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 AM

325 posts, read 1,034,798 times
With respect to sunshineleith, DO NOT STAY IN MISSISSAUGA.

Assuming you are going to Toronto, go to real Toronto. Personally I'd recommend Yonge and Eglinton area, lots to do, cool shops and stores, and very safe. Alternatively Yonge/Bloor (near both the Royal Ontario Museum and the Art Gallery of Ontario) for example are great areas with lots to see and do. Both are on the subway line, which is a fantastic way to get around (avoid buses/streetcars if possible). Visit the ttc website for best ticket options.

As for wonderland, it's out in maple which is about an hours drive north of Toronto and a lot of fun (for one day). Cab it in that day, and be sure to check their site for discounted tickets.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 AM

364 posts, read 1,190,357 times
While the Delta is the most recommended hotel for kids because of the waterslide, I must agree that you probably would do better to stay right in downtown TO and the Delta Chelsea is downtown if you want the waterslide.
Depending upon where you are coming from (aka what you have to see around where you live), and how long you have, my ideas for kids would be:
~Center Island (see Centre Island, Toronto - Centre Island Visitors Guide for information)
~Ontario Science Center http://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/
~Royal Ontario Museum Royal Ontario Museum | Tourism attraction for family fun, group tours & school visits in Toronto
~Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo | Canada's premier Zoo
They might enjoy the St. Lawrence market area, too, and you'd get the architecture you were looking for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Lawrence,_Toronto

I also recommend CityPass Official Toronto CityPASS® | 5 Toronto Attractions for $58.40

For hotels, a great website is this one: Toronto Family Resorts and Hotels - Family Vacation Critic If price is not a concern, I think i would choose the Fairmont http://www.familyvacationcritic.com/...oyal-york/htl/

Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 AM

325 posts, read 1,034,798 times
Agree with all picks above except science centre... it's best days are 20 years ago and it's not in a nice neighbourhood either.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:54 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,498,403 times
Art Gallery of Ontario is way better than the Science Centre. Kensington Market is an interesting neighbourhood that could be fun to explore if you have the time, but otherwise I agree that St. Lawrence market and the nearby distillery district would be the funnest places to go for some local colour. There's also the various ethnic neighbourhoods that are fun to explore. When I come to visit, I personally enjoy all of the little shops and restaurants in Little India on Gerard Street, and Chinatown on Spadina can also be a treat.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 PM

17,171 posts, read 21,830,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luhts View Post
While the Delta is the most recommended hotel for kids because of the waterslide, I must agree that you probably would do better to stay right in downtown TO and the Delta Chelsea is downtown if you want the waterslide.
Depending upon where you are coming from (aka what you have to see around where you live), and how long you have, my ideas for kids would be:
~Center Island (see Centre Island, Toronto - Centre Island Visitors Guide for information)
~Ontario Science Center http://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/
~Royal Ontario Museum Royal Ontario Museum | Tourism attraction for family fun, group tours & school visits in Toronto
~Toronto Zoo Toronto Zoo | Canada's premier Zoo
They might enjoy the St. Lawrence market area, too, and you'd get the architecture you were looking for: St. Lawrence, Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also recommend CityPass Official Toronto CityPASS® | 5 Toronto Attractions for $58.40

For hotels, a great website is this one: Toronto Family Resorts and Hotels - Family Vacation Critic If price is not a concern, I think i would choose the Fairmont The Fairmont Royal York Review - Family Vacation Critic

Awesome post thank you!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:14 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,202,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoNotMe View Post
With respect to sunshineleith, DO NOT STAY IN MISSISSAUGA.
I would not recommend Mississauga either - stay in Toronto, within a mile or so of Yonge and somwhere.

The Royal Ontario Museum, The Art Gallery, Centre Island, Casaloma (if it's still open), The Beach(es) in the east end, take a drive thorugh Forest Hill and Rosedale to see some awesome houses....so much to do.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:19 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,202,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
When I come to visit, I personally enjoy all of the little shops and restaurants in Little India on Gerard Street
I was just there in April after a few years away and I could not believe how run down it's gotten and how many empty, unkept storefronts there are. There was an article in the Toronto Star about that recently (a few months ago).

Old 05-03-2012, 12:28 AM

4,866 posts, read 10,498,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I was just there in April after a few years away and I could not believe how run down it's gotten and how many empty, unkept storefronts there are. There was an article in the Toronto Star about that recently (a few months ago).
Oh no! That's upsetting to hear. I have family in Toronto and visit often, but I admit I haven't been to Gerard Street in the last couple years. A very unfortunate development to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto