U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 01:41 AM

192 posts, read 219,876 times

Advertisements

Hi I’m interested in the CN Tower, it’s one of the most prominent buildings in all of Canada but there is remarkably little information about it. Does the CN tower serve any other function other than communications? Also is it affiliated with the Canadian national railways company like the one in Edmonton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 01:52 AM

3,062 posts, read 4,234,019 times
It's a great place to eat - or scare the boogers out of yourself as Rick Mercer and Jann Arden did - so first off - hilarious video from the top: http://youtu.be/3KkK35y8MAA

As you said, originally it was a communications tower and it was built by CN - not sure if it still is used for communications or not:

More here, including an old photo!:
A Brief Overview of the CN Tower

Old 05-24-2012, 05:21 AM

838 posts, read 1,085,964 times
Home - CN Tower | La Tour CN

From that site there is a menu that runs left to right across the top. Click on "Plan your Visit" and then "Attractions"

and make sure to check this page of the site. http://www.cntower.ca/en-CA/What-s-U...-and-Tips.html

It is still used for communications. Some of the Radio stations frequently mention it "broadcasting from atop the CN tower"

Old 05-24-2012, 05:26 AM

838 posts, read 1,085,964 times
Oh and I was at a Pink Floyd concert at the Skydome( can't get used to the new name) and near me was a big box about the size of a train car.

In the middle of the concert the top of this box opened up and things moved and a giant disco ball formed above it. Then laser beams shot down from the CN tower and bounced off it and did an amazing light show..

Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 AM

10,184 posts, read 11,160,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
It's a great place to eat - or scare the boogers out of yourself as Rick Mercer and Jann Arden did - so first off - hilarious video from the top: RMR: Rick and Jann Arden on the CN Tower Edgewalk - YouTube

As you said, originally it was a communications tower and it was built by CN - not sure if it still is used for communications or not:

More here, including an old photo!:
A Brief Overview of the CN Tower
CN, although a railway company originally and also at the moment, at one point had operations in areas that went far beyond just trains. For example, they had a large telecommunications section for a long time (interestingly enough in partnership with Canada's other main railway, CP).

Old 05-24-2012, 10:46 AM

3,062 posts, read 4,234,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
CN, although a railway company originally and also at the moment, at one point had operations in areas that went far beyond just trains. For example, they had a large telecommunications section for a long time (interestingly enough in partnership with Canada's other main railway, CP).
And hotels as well. Canadian Pacific bought CN Hotels, and they later changed their named to Fairmont.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:13 AM

20,361 posts, read 16,664,145 times
Its also not free to go up. Think it was $25 a few years ago maybe more now..

Old 05-28-2012, 11:15 PM

192 posts, read 219,876 times
First of all thanks for all the prompt replies! I enjoyed reading the articles that you linked; and thanks for posting the clip from RMR, I’ve actually learned quite a lot about Canada just from watching his show online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its also not free to go up. Think it was $25 a few years ago maybe more now..

https://tickets.cntower.ca/WebStore/...nd=LandingPage

Also could anyone give me advice about what ticket to get? Which ticket should I buy if I want just want to look get a good view of the city and the surrounding areas? What is the difference between the skypod and the observation deck+glass floor? I take it the skypod is the smaller pod at the base of the spire…I didn’t realize they let you go up there. Is one part better then the other? Which one gives you the best view?

Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 PM

20 posts, read 27,864 times
they have a new amusement where you can hang off the side of the cn tower! not for the faint of heart!!

Old 06-22-2012, 05:35 PM

47 posts, read 40,004 times
The area where the CN Tower was built was a giant railway yard that was owned by--you guessed it--CN, but most of that was taken away in the 1980's.

You also wouldn't catch me doing that Edge Walk thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto