Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 08:02 AM

981 posts, read 2,705,068 times

Advertisements

Not sure what's more popular Credit Cards or Debit Cards.

Most US and Canadian banks expect you to use their own ATMs. If you use another banks ATMs you usually get 2 fees. One from your bank and one from the ATM itself. I withdrew money like this last week and the ATM charged me 2.50 and my bank charged me another 2.00.

And both types of fees vary by bank and ATM. We can sometimes ask for cashback when using the debit card to buy goods at a merchant and then we pay no fees but there' usually a small limit to how much cash you can get often around $60.

There are a few banks that do not charge this but they are rare. Provident bank in NJ card i had never charged any fees no matter where i used the ATM. Even more rare there are some ATMs that don't charge fees. There is a chain of stores called WAWA that made a deal with a bank that all their ATMs charge no fees to draw in customers. The combination of the 2 worked quite well when i lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:22 AM

65 posts, read 185,020 times
Another question came up..... what about gas stations terminals? I know it might be the same answer anyways but, just thinking. Here in the U.S. different states has WaWa Gas stations. So, when using their ATM machine, they don't charge a surcharge fee. If Canada has WaWa's, is it still the same verdict?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:01 AM

4,866 posts, read 10,498,403 times
Canada doesn't have Wawa's. If I understand you correctly, these gas stations have ATMs at them standard? I don't think ATM's at Canadian gas stations are standard, and if there is one it's usually just a generic ATM not affiliated with any particular institution.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:36 AM

65 posts, read 185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
There are a few banks that do not charge this but they are rare. Provident bank in NJ card i had never charged any fees no matter where i used the ATM. Even more rare there are some ATMs that don't charge fees. There is a chain of stores called WAWA that made a deal with a bank that all their ATMs charge no fees to draw in customers. The combination of the 2 worked quite well when i lived there.
We are just the opposite, there are a few U.S. states that has WAWA gas stations, even the state I'm in now. We don't have chain of WAWA stores that I know of. So, in these wawa gas stations, their ATM's don't charge surcharge. Just like you mention about wawa stores, it's basically the same concept.

The question I have is, since there is wawa stores there in Canada. Is the ATM's can only be used by local residents to get that non-surcharge fee or can it be used by foreigns as well? I know that the ATM will still charge my bank anyways for a international transaction fee.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_truckdriver View Post
We are just the opposite, there are a few U.S. states that has WAWA gas stations, even the state I'm in now. We don't have chain of WAWA stores that I know of. So, in these wawa gas stations, their ATM's don't charge surcharge. Just like you mention about wawa stores, it's basically the same concept.

The question I have is, since there is wawa stores there in Canada. Is the ATM's can only be used by local residents to get that non-surcharge fee or can it be used by foreigns as well? I know that the ATM will still charge my bank anyways for a international transaction fee.
I've never heard of a Wawa in Canada. I've never found an ATM in Canada that doesn't charge the non-customer fees (except for the Scotiabank/Bank Of America alliance previously discussed)

Old 06-28-2012, 11:42 PM

10 posts, read 15,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_truckdriver View Post
Banks finds ways to screw us one way or another, lol
Yeah, it's part of travel--paying fees to someone to change. I would just use the bank machines, and try not to do it too often so you can minimize fees. Sometime is you have a VIP account the bank fees are included in a monthly fee that can work out better if yu travel a lot.

Yes, you can use USD...but people don't really want to most of the time since it's a hassle to have to exchange themselves...so you will never get a good exchange rate! Likely worse than whatever the banks will charge you, and worse the farther you get from tourist areas and places like Niagara Falls.

Hey, would YOU want Canadian dollars if some tourist showed up? Not likely...

No such thing as Navy Federal, sorry

have a good trip

Old 06-29-2012, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREL View Post
Yeah, it's part of travel--paying fees to someone to change. I would just use the bank machines, and try not to do it too often so you can minimize fees. Sometime is you have a VIP account the bank fees are included in a monthly fee that can work out better if yu travel a lot.

Yes, you can use USD...but people don't really want to most of the time since it's a hassle to have to exchange themselves...so you will never get a good exchange rate! Likely worse than whatever the banks will charge you, and worse the farther you get from tourist areas and places like Niagara Falls.

Hey, would YOU want Canadian dollars if some tourist showed up? Not likely...

No such thing as Navy Federal, sorry

have a good trip
Funny thing.. you can go almost anywhere through Canada even hundred miles from the border and businesses will accept USD. The reverse is not true. Even in Niagara Falls NY a tourist town on the border many businesses won't accept CAD

Old 06-29-2012, 01:03 PM

10 posts, read 15,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
Funny thing.. you can go almost anywhere through Canada even hundred miles from the border and businesses will accept USD. The reverse is not true. Even in Niagara Falls NY a tourist town on the border many businesses won't accept CAD
Unfortunately there is a perception sometimes--perpetuated by movies etc--that the US dollar is some kind of magic international currency...which is not true. It is definitely widely accepted, and especially in countries with currency problems like high inflation or no free-floating exchange rate, folks will often want USD/Euros, etc.

But in developed countries with strong currency markets that isn't really the case. If there is no "black market" or any commerce on the street done in USD, nobody wants another country's money, no matter what country it is!

If there are a lot of tourists from a country (like a cruise ship port) locals will often take another currency just to make it easy for the customer to make the purchase, but it's a hassle/cost they accept for the customer's benefit--like paying for a credit card terminal. If the biz didn't have to pay VISA, they would love it!

Old 06-29-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREL View Post
Unfortunately there is a perception sometimes--perpetuated by movies etc--that the US dollar is some kind of magic international currency...which is not true. It is definitely widely accepted, and especially in countries with currency problems like high inflation or no free-floating exchange rate, folks will often want USD/Euros, etc.

But in developed countries with strong currency markets that isn't really the case. If there is no "black market" or any commerce on the street done in USD, nobody wants another country's money, no matter what country it is!

If there are a lot of tourists from a country (like a cruise ship port) locals will often take another currency just to make it easy for the customer to make the purchase, but it's a hassle/cost they accept for the customer's benefit--like paying for a credit card terminal. If the biz didn't have to pay VISA, they would love it!
Your comments may apply to other countries but not to Canada. Canada is a developed country with a strong currency (often worth a touch more than the USD recently). And far from tourist areas merchants will take USD almost anywhere.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,158 times
Thanks for your comments. And Chateress, Along with the BoA, there is also a large list of second chance checking account banks in US and Canada. Here is the list: Click here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto