Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 05:28 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
just because one of your children chooses to live this lifestyle, it does not instantly mean you are a negligent parent.
Not always but more often then not, yeah it does mean that......But your right i don't see anyway we can legally charge the parents, even if they are to blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 05:49 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
http://www.yorku.ca/pathways/literat....june.2008.pdf

Also refer to post #38 in this thread for two additional links.

I looked at the study (which could have used an Abstract!) and,

Yes the first and second generation immigrants from Africa do have high rates of university and college attendance (Chinese had the highest).

The lowest university rates were for for first and second generation immigrants from "The Americas (not U.S.)"--would the Caribbean be included in that group? and central america/south america I'm assuming. But they were also relatively small in number, to quote: "According to Citizenship and
Immigration Canada (2007), of the 138,257 permanent residents admitted as economic immigrants in 2006, almost 101,000 of these originated in Africa, the Middle East, and the Asia-Pacific region."

Old 07-19-2012, 08:31 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
I think a fundemental question is why the same groups that are hard-hit by violent crime in Toronto (Jamaicans or West Indians, let's say) don't seem to be nearly as prone to violence when they live in the U.S. or in Europe. Jamaica itself can be a fairly violent place, as are several other West Indian countries, but as I said people from these countries don't always necessarily replicate the violence of their homelands when they settle abroad. Where they settle abroad does seem to be a factor to some degree.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:23 PM

News flash: a guy has been charged in these shootings. Guess what? Based on his name, he is neither Jamaican nor even West Indian. It appears his origins are either Ethiopian, Eritrean, Somali, etc.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
My question is WHY SHOULDN'T cops target the group that causes the most crime in the city? Are you saying in the interest of being politically correct the police should waste resources on checking whites, asians, indians etc even though they commit VERY LITTLE crime in Toronto? Really? That's like a teacher who has a student who's bad at math, yet instead of the teacher concentrating solely on improving that student's math skills, they instead choose to include and split time between english, physics and biology too even if this student is doing great in those subjects. That makes sense to you?? >_>
Here is my question. How does it help Black people who are law abiding and don't commit crimes? Last time I checked, most law-abiding Black people try to avoid criminals(of any race).

Quote:
So yeah it sucks that many good and honest blacks might be unfairly treated by cops, but that's the price you pay when so much crime comes out of your group of people. You make your bed, you lay in it. This isn't a one year trend or a 5-10 year trend, its a DECADES old trend where blacks commit the most crime in Toronto year on year. You're telling me cops should ignore all this historical data in the name of politcal correctness?
But what you are not understanding is that Blacks who are law abiding and have nothing to do with criminals are going to pay the price for those criminals. Criminals, that as I said before, that most law-abiding Black people try to avoid contact with. My father avoids contact with criminals(of any race). He is a law abiding Black man and has raised his sons and daughter to do the same. It didn't stop him from being pulled over by the police and harassed.

As for the "You make your bed, you lay in it" comment, this is my rebuttal. Black people who are obeying the law, who are civilized and peaceful, didn't make that bed, so why should they have to lay in it? If I didn't commit a crime, why should I have to be pulled over? What benefit is it to ME??

Old 07-20-2012, 05:15 AM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I looked at the study (which could have used an Abstract!) and,

Yes the first and second generation immigrants from Africa do have high rates of university and college attendance (Chinese had the highest).

The lowest university rates were for for first and second generation immigrants from "The Americas (not U.S.)"--would the Caribbean be included in that group? and central america/south america I'm assuming. But they were also relatively small in number, to quote: "According to Citizenship and
Immigration Canada (2007), of the 138,257 permanent residents admitted as economic immigrants in 2006, almost 101,000 of these originated in Africa, the Middle East, and the Asia-Pacific region."
Here is a study breaking it down between Caribbean and Africa. http://crcw.princeton.edu/migration/...ants%20(2).pdf

When I made my original statement I said that First Generation Black immigrants had a higher education attainment rate than Canadians born to Canadian parents and yes that does include those from Africa. Even when you specifically focus on Caribbean born or their children, the education attainment rate is about equal with Canadian born to Canadian parents. So we are educating our children our children at the exact same pace, but for some reason the Caribbean community has a higher unemployment rate.

Also this is interesting as well. African immigrants experience hardest landing

Once again the African Diaspora is subject to a higher unemployment rate but are educating their children and themselves at a significantly higher rate than Canadians.

While everyone wants to say that the gang and crime problem is a Caribbean Black problem, a quick scroll through the names of murder victims the past two years and you see some names that are absolutely not Caribbean black. As Acajack mentioned above, the young man who was arrested in connection to the shooting we are speaking about in this thread was definitely Ethiopian, Eritrean or Somali.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:11 AM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think a fundemental question is why the same groups that are hard-hit by violent crime in Toronto (Jamaicans or West Indians, let's say) don't seem to be nearly as prone to violence when they live in the U.S. or in Europe. Jamaica itself can be a fairly violent place, as are several other West Indian countries, but as I said people from these countries don't always necessarily replicate the violence of their homelands when they settle abroad. Where they settle abroad does seem to be a factor to some degree.
Thank you.

You can always tell when someone has lived in Toronto their entire lives or their only real dealings with a large black population is in the GTA. They have the most twisted, narrow minded view of Caribbean Black culture ever.

Look at the comments in this thread. One poster said that the predominant black culture is this gun toting, gang banging culture we are addressing. Really? That is what you think of when you think of black culture? Talk about ignorant.

I have lived in cities with large West Indian populations (Toronto, Miami, NYC and Boston) and only in Toronto do people immediately associate violence with Jamaica. What about West Indian/Caribbean Black accomplishments in Athletics, Politics, Literature, Music and the Culinary world? That is what people think of in other cities, why the jaded view in Toronto and most importantly why do Caribbean Blacks seem to be so far behind their peers in other cities?

To be blatantly honest in the US there is friction between the African American and Caribbean Black communities because they view us as arrogant and "bougie". Yes that is what people think of our culture, stuck up because of our economic standing and accomplishments. What a difference.

Another comment that made me shake my head was one poster that stated that he heard a "distinct Jamaican Patois" from all interviewed. Do you not know that is how most Black kids, regardless of whether they or their parents are from Jamaica. It is a mixture of Patois (Patois is not only Jamaican, all Caribbean Islands speak a form of Patois), Canadian and American slang and it sounds NOTHING like an authentic Jamaican accent. But of course people including the police hear this accent or slang and jump to the conclusion that the accused is Jamaican. I guarantee the kid who was arrested in this shooting (Somali) speaks with that exact same accent.

Just a few examples of how disconnected your average Torontonian is from the black community. All this garbage about Multiculturalism is bullsh*t.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:05 AM

What happened in Colorado last night is a good example of how crime victims aren't always asking for it or hanging out with the wrong crowd. We should never be indifferent to lawlessness and violence in our society and it is astonishing that some people feel crimes that happen maybe 2 km away from where they live aren't their concern because the ''right/wrong'' people are involved.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:09 AM

271 posts, read 532,263 times
Heads, meet sand.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:16 AM

It seems that the apologists for racial profiling are missing a key element of societies based on rule of law. It is that everyone is an individual and that presumed guilt by association is not permitted.

Which is mean that even if 100% of the people involved in gun crimes were of a certain identifiable group, that does not mean that all members of the said group should be targeted by police if they haven't done anything wrong.

The only instance where it is acceptable to be stopped by police based on what you look like is if they are seeking a white male suspect aged 25 wearing, say, a Maple Leafs jersey, a Buffalo Bills caps and white New Balance sneakers, and you happen to be a white male aged 25 wearing a Maple Leafs jersey, a Buffalo Bills caps and white New Balance sneakers.

But if you are white male aged 25 wearing a Maple Leafs jersey, a Buffalo Bills caps and white New Balance sneakers going around minding your own business, in a rights and rule of law based society, the police have no business stopping you and interrogating you simply based on what you look like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto