Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 09:37 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,229,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Talk about an over the top post lol... Seriously 90 percent of men are beer drinking and fat - that is extreme..

No doubt. From what I recall reading somewhere once, obesity levels in Vancouver and Toronto are almost the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 01:59 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,421,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
No doubt. From what I recall reading somewhere once, obesity levels in Vancouver and Toronto are almost the same.
The stats seem all over the place. Different measures of obesity is one reason and self reporting another.

Just judging from walking down a Vancouver street and a Toronto street, it's pretty hard to say.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:24 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,335,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

It is also not a big area, about four blocks long. No reason NOT to visit Vancouver, because of four blocks.
I remember hearing about Downtown East side before going to Vancouver. Some people really make a bigger deal out if than it really is, they paint a picture of parts of vancouver being a run down heroin infested waste land. The downtown East side is grimey for sure but it really is a small area. I thought it was going to be like the Tenderloin district in San Fran or skid row in LA. Truth is there is similar areas to dtes here in Winnipeg.

The lower east side is a neighborhood in Manhattan.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:59 PM

18,502 posts, read 15,421,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I remember hearing about Downtown East side before going to Vancouver. Some people really make a bigger deal out if than it really is, they paint a picture of parts of vancouver being a run down heroin infested waste land. The downtown East side is grimey for sure but it really is a small area. I thought it was going to be like the Tenderloin district in San Fran or skid row in LA. Truth is there is similar areas to dtes here in Winnipeg.

The lower east side is a neighborhood in Manhattan.
The thing about the DTES is that it's right out in the open, between two tourist spots, Gastown and Chinatown.
It's not hidden away and it's not a neighbourhood that people can simply avoid all the time, like some ghettos in other cities.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,591 times
Its a very interesting read, all of it, as I am English and thinking about moving to Ontario for some of the reasons mentioned in the above threads. We live, at present, on Vancouver Island, near Comox. There are so many positives here that I am torn as to whether to stay or go, but in the end my friends, we all know its about the money. My personal experience of the island and Van city is mixed of positive and negative. I'll do the negatives first. There are two seasons, summer and winter, spring is short lived and autumn barely exists. When it starts to rain, it never stops, I have never ever seen so much rain and that is saying something coming from the UK. The education system on the island, especially in the Comox valley is dire and deteriorating, to the point we have pulled our kids out and put them in private school. The best of the bad! Thirdly, you are a trapped audience, getting off and on the island is expensive and time consuming. Also, shopping is dreadful and very expensive, in particular basic staples such as veg etc. Childrens clothes and shoes, I order all on the internet because theres only 2 places to shop and the quality is dreadful. Then there is the lack of restaurants and most are closing by 8pm and there is no night life whatsoever...its very dull! Victoria is better but still places close early, which is fine for the elderly or people with younger kids, but for us, growing up in Europe where we went out to eat at 10pm, sometimes its frustrating. There is very little work here, if you work for the government or your medical you are fine, if you are a logger or a self employed trade, its ok, but then you can struggle. Also, surprisingly, many Islanders have never left the Island and don't know what the interior of Canada is like never mind Ontario, yet they slag Ontario off even if they've never visited before. I have met some Canadians who have left Ontario to retire to Van Island and they moved because , the weather is overall better here in BC. The positives are, a traffic jam here is pathetic, people say the traffic is heavy when there is a line up of 10 cars...(try the M25!). There's a wealth of beautiful hiking and nature trails, great skiing which is almost on par with Whistler, miles and miles of beautiful, clean safe beaches which are ideal for children because the sea is like a mill pond in the summer. Plenty of freedom for children! Summers are not humid and bearable in heat. As for the people, 99.9% are friendly and polite but not party animals. We can see us coming back when we are old and grey. Comox is Slomox, its for the newely weds and the nearly deads, and if you want safety and freedom for the kids, its perfect. Ontario and BC are worlds apart, they may as well be different countries, its horses for courses. I do believe that our kids will up and go thousands of miles away if we stay here due to the lack of opportunity here and that is fine if it wasn't so damn expensive to leave the island. House prices, Naniamo and Victoria now are on par house price wise and houses are creeping up here in the Comox valley. My friend put her house on the market on Wednesday, was not listed, yet sold 70K more than they bought it (2 yrs before) and sold within 5 hours. Land is very expensive, astronmical and over priced. If we move to Toronto, its for two main reasons, education and work (better paying jobs, almost double in wages). Hope this helps.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:04 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,403,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeViking View Post
Its a very interesting read, all of it, as I am English and thinking about moving to Ontario for some of the reasons mentioned in the above threads. We live, at present, on Vancouver Island, near Comox. There are so many positives here that I am torn as to whether to stay or go, but in the end my friends, we all know its about the money. My personal experience of the island and Van city is mixed of positive and negative. I'll do the negatives first. There are two seasons, summer and winter, spring is short lived and autumn barely exists. When it starts to rain, it never stops, I have never ever seen so much rain and that is saying something coming from the UK. The education system on the island, especially in the Comox valley is dire and deteriorating, to the point we have pulled our kids out and put them in private school. The best of the bad! Thirdly, you are a trapped audience, getting off and on the island is expensive and time consuming. Also, shopping is dreadful and very expensive, in particular basic staples such as veg etc. Childrens clothes and shoes, I order all on the internet because theres only 2 places to shop and the quality is dreadful. Then there is the lack of restaurants and most are closing by 8pm and there is no night life whatsoever...its very dull! Victoria is better but still places close early, which is fine for the elderly or people with younger kids, but for us, growing up in Europe where we went out to eat at 10pm, sometimes its frustrating. There is very little work here, if you work for the government or your medical you are fine, if you are a logger or a self employed trade, its ok, but then you can struggle. Also, surprisingly, many Islanders have never left the Island and don't know what the interior of Canada is like never mind Ontario, yet they slag Ontario off even if they've never visited before. I have met some Canadians who have left Ontario to retire to Van Island and they moved because , the weather is overall better here in BC. The positives are, a traffic jam here is pathetic, people say the traffic is heavy when there is a line up of 10 cars...(try the M25!). There's a wealth of beautiful hiking and nature trails, great skiing which is almost on par with Whistler, miles and miles of beautiful, clean safe beaches which are ideal for children because the sea is like a mill pond in the summer. Plenty of freedom for children! Summers are not humid and bearable in heat. As for the people, 99.9% are friendly and polite but not party animals. We can see us coming back when we are old and grey. Comox is Slomox, its for the newely weds and the nearly deads, and if you want safety and freedom for the kids, its perfect. Ontario and BC are worlds apart, they may as well be different countries, its horses for courses. I do believe that our kids will up and go thousands of miles away if we stay here due to the lack of opportunity here and that is fine if it wasn't so damn expensive to leave the island. House prices, Naniamo and Victoria now are on par house price wise and houses are creeping up here in the Comox valley. My friend put her house on the market on Wednesday, was not listed, yet sold 70K more than they bought it (2 yrs before) and sold within 5 hours. Land is very expensive, astronmical and over priced. If we move to Toronto, its for two main reasons, education and work (better paying jobs, almost double in wages). Hope this helps.
It's always interesting to glean perspective from someone whose lived the bulk of their life elsewhere.

I spent time on the Island back in the 60's and recall the newly wed and nearly dead descriptor was active even then. The only place in Canada I've been to where it's raining but the sun is shining above the rain.

Having travelled the ring road and M25 many times while overseas I can attest to the types of jams that can bring all lanes to a standstill with diversions through small hamlets and "A" roads common. Not a treat to follow an articulated lorry for miles and miles through two lane villages for hours before getting back on the M-road.

Hang in there, don't make any sudden decisions, study your plan carefully to avoid nasty surprises such as housing costs in Toronto.

Good luck.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,244 times
what I want to know is best way to move belongings etc

Old 04-10-2017, 07:22 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,766,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacermike007 View Post
what I want to know is best way to move belongings etc

Old 04-11-2017, 02:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,176 times
Default historical info on BC

[quote=Formosawest;31669659](Typed on a mobile phone. Please forgive the atrocious spelling and thanks for reading and sharing)

Ive read the posts here about bc.. And the warnings to avoid our province. Many points i tend to agree with, others are too general or offensive - and somewhat reflect a personality more like whats been described than not.

By my measure, Some of the points of view here are interesting, and each has its merrit and holds some measure of truth, but few of us have managed to put some of the subjective points into context... Making blanket statements, for example about culture, nightlife and interpersonal communication fail to describe the nature of the place and the context of its scenery.

Culturally bc is somewhat homogenous for such a large place.. Pockets of ethnicity do exist, but not with overtly defined borders. Populations vary. For example, in Vancouver our population is somewhat more robustly represented by those of asian descent than may be found elsewhere in Canada. In Powell river one might find a healthy number of maltese and italian Canadians who immigrated following ww2 during Canada's immigration push. There may be fewer francophones and fewer of african descent than may be found to the east.. But i wholeheartedly welcome Canadians from any region to bc. We have a good many from uk, germany, ukrain, poland.. But everyone is mixed.. Everyone is... A british columbian from somewhere else. Predominantly we are descendants of western Europe and the british isles . These populations make a bulk of the most cities, but Vancouver is distinct in its broader and more even distribution. If you relate to those of asian or indian descent you may find Vancouver most ideal, but id love to see our province grow in other regions as well!. Vancouver is expensive and competitive for the small business, but uniquely limited in its box-store presence, favouring trendy little specialties over malls. Frequently neighbors are of a variety of cultural backgrounds and new immigrants to the neighbourhood are very common - more so in large cities such as vancouver, less so in smaller towns like cranbrook or Tofino. Vancouver, kelowna and victoria are youthful cities chalk full of students from all over the world.

There are the occasional ignorant plebs who fail to see the tragedy in racial predudice, but overall bc appears to be a ethnically blended society where race brings interest and appreciation. Many are curious about different cultures and knowledgable about many customs, while in some smaller cities, cultural curiosity exists, but experience with diverse cultural background may be young - hence faux-pas or unintentional slights may occur. people tend to not-tolerate racial inequality. Ive seen mothers chastise children for repeating racial slanders and individuals stand up for those who are of different culture without feeling like heros. But alas, as with any place, There are pockets of ignorent behavior and social circles characterized by overt predjudice, but t is usually a small group mentality and rarely, if ever, is infused with fear or hatred. Notably, There are some distinct issues in bc regarding our aboriginals and it stems from the horrible treatment they recieved from our provence in a not too distant past. The history of the last 200 years regarding provincial treatment of our aboriginal friends is truly embaressing and most tragic.. The desire to "integrate" rather than "cooperate with" was overshadowed by a massive problem of ignorance and poor communication. Aboriginal culture was outlawed and forbidden, leading the cultures to a period of "sleep." The bc gov made decisions on behalf of aboriginals, rather than with them.. And this was disrespectful and damaging. Racial predjudice against these fine people is as abominable and unjust as it is in any case, but much of it stems from a big ignorance problem that continues within the majority of british columbia's non aboriginal/first nations population. The too-often-apparent economic disparity is multifactorial again (and not absolute) but much of it comes from value differences regading accumulation of wealth and resources. In this population family and community is a source of pride and may be seen more valuable than hording of excess goods. Perhaps, bc's History of surveillance has affected them and has made the privacy of their ways all the more sacred. Similarly, education has been tainted due to provincial history with forced residential schools, and a great tradgety of death and ilness that occured until only recent decades. Children where forcibly removed from families and placed into schools to learn to integrate - then where encouraged to leave their families, reserves and status behind to become "like the rest of us." reserves where forcibly created in a very fascist sort of manner and aboriginals went too long aihtout a voice being heard by provincial regulators. Today thigns are slowly mending. I am optimistic that some good decisions are finally being made. Historically, cultural diversity was suppressed in bc.. So much so that today it is now being celebrated as we've grown to see the beauty of it. With regards to our aboriginals i am thankful to be living on their historic lands, and only wish our leaders had been more cooperative with theirs in the past.

History sets a Tone.. A certain quiet, unspoken feeling in the air. It is why we are the way we are in bc. Bc has had lofty goals, but has made some big mistakes about how it should achieve those goals.
Today bc is reassembling to account for it.
quote]

END QUOTE

Formosa west, I think you make a very thought-provoking and relevant point regarding how our history affects the present, its culture, values, and expression. Sadly to say, I think BC has some notable bones in its closet that it needs to deal with (i.e. the Highway of Tears, apparent disproporionate number of aboriginal murders...). I think we need to continue acknowledging this.

I'm originally from BC, of Asian descent, but lived in the Toronto Area for the past six years. It is very culturally diverse there, and the cultures much more integrated with each other than in Vancouver, I believe.

In BC, the underlining culture seems to be Anglo, British Isles. Nothing wrong with that culture, but you can say it's "a" culture. Although in the past decades, the Asian sub-cultures of the Vancouver area and I think it's getting more diverse. Also, on a further note, I think BC, as well as other provinces should embrace Canada's French history too. It's such an aesthetic and romantic culture (just think Paris), France played an important role in our history, and embracing more of it would definitely add more richness and beauty to ours too.

Last edited by SilverJ; 04-11-2017 at 02:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto