Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,810 times

Advertisements

A few years have passed since this thread died and I do believe that much has changed in both cities, Toronto and Vancouver and I wanted to add my two cents after having completed much research (for personal reasons(.

I have lived just north of Toronto for over 20 years and after visiting family in the Kelowna are numerous occasions - with excursions to Victoria, Nanaimo and Vancouver I can honestly say that I would be very happy to relocate to the province of British Columbia. It has much of the same to offer us as does the GTA plus the weather is a bonus.

Originally from North Bay, ON, I do enjoy the great outdoors, ie: camping, hiking and gardening. As well, we enjoy what Toronto has to offer from time to time, ie: outdoor festivals, downtown waterfront and theatre. Many are free.

Setting politics aside (for which both provinces have their own troubles) it simply depends on your own personal preferences. I do hope that everyone tries to get out and enjoy some of what the Pan Am games have to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 04:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo from TO View Post
A few years have passed since this thread died and I do believe that much has changed in both cities, Toronto and Vancouver and I wanted to add my two cents after having completed much research (for personal reasons(.

I have lived just north of Toronto for over 20 years and after visiting family in the Kelowna are numerous occasions - with excursions to Victoria, Nanaimo and Vancouver I can honestly say that I would be very happy to relocate to the province of British Columbia. It has much of the same to offer us as does the GTA plus the weather is a bonus.

Originally from North Bay, ON, I do enjoy the great outdoors, ie: camping, hiking and gardening. As well, we enjoy what Toronto has to offer from time to time, ie: outdoor festivals, downtown waterfront and theatre. Many are free.

Setting politics aside (for which both provinces have their own troubles) it simply depends on your own personal preferences. I do hope that everyone tries to get out and enjoy some of what the Pan Am games have to offer.
Ok - good luck!

Old 09-08-2015, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,122 times
I googled "moving back to BC", and this thread came up as one of the top results. I thought I would share my experiences having lived in both downtown Vancouver and downtown Toronto. I am from Vancouver, and I moved to Toronto for one year. I explored most Toronto downtown neighbourhoods and attractions and drove to Niagara, NY, etc.

After one year in Toronto, I will be moving back to our beautiful, clean, healthy, spirited Vancouver, and I will never come back. During this year, I have seen three of my friends move from Toronto back to the west coast as well. People have different preferences for lifestyle, and I think if you are unhappy in one place, make the most of it and do whatever you need to do to get out asap.

My experience in Toronto vs. Vancouver (not GTA vs Greater Vancouver):
1. Hydro is about double the price in Toronto condos compared to Vancouver.
2. Car insurance is way more expensive in Toronto, even after getting a corporate discount and after shopping around through different brokers.
3. Other than Toronto Islands, if you want to see any nature, it'll be a 2-4 hour drive stuck in horrible traffic in all directions.
4. Housing is cheaper than Vancouver.
5. Eating out and buying some things will have the 13% HST added to your bill in Ontario.
6. Beer drinking appears to be one of the main activities in Toronto, as you can see in the beer bellies of 90% of Toronto men...lol. Obesity level is alarming.
7. There are some old Victorian houses and neighbourhoods to explore. There are beautiful lakes outside the city, but you need to drive for quite a while (by Vancouver standards).
8. There is good food of all varieties just like Vancouver. I actually think Toronto has better Chinese food.
9. Unlike Vancouver, there is no rent control in Toronto, and your rent can go up 10-20% or whatever your landlord wants to charge when it comes to renewal.
10. Income tax is slightly higher in Ontario.
11. Service people seem quite unhappy in Toronto in most grocery stores and at the mall.
12. Winter is of course colder in Toronto, but the sky is mostly blue compared to the grey rainy weather in Vancouver. What you prefer is up to you: freezing temperature with wind chill and blue skies or mild temperature with rain and grey skies.
13. In Toronto, a lot of condo leasing is handled by realtors. Vancouver rentals are handled by either property management companies or owners.
14. Other than the financial district, I've found most neighbourhoods in Toronto to be old and decrepit. There are lots of dirty sketchy streets, and the subway smells.

Last thing, I've always found most Vancouverites to be happy, friendly, and spirited so I don't really understand why some people say we are cold and mean and rude, etc. Obviously, I prefer Vancouver, but I understand why some would prefer Toronto. All things considered, I think we are all very lucky to be living in Canada.

Last edited by Vancouverite2015; 09-08-2015 at 02:19 PM..

Old 09-08-2015, 04:11 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouverite2015 View Post
I googled "moving back to BC", and this thread came up as one of the top results. I thought I would share my experiences having lived in both downtown Vancouver and downtown Toronto. I am from Vancouver, and I moved to Toronto for one year. I explored most Toronto downtown neighbourhoods and attractions and drove to Niagara, NY, etc.

After one year in Toronto, I will be moving back to our beautiful, clean, healthy, spirited Vancouver, and I will never come back. During this year, I have seen three of my friends move from Toronto back to the west coast as well. People have different preferences for lifestyle, and I think if you are unhappy in one place, make the most of it and do whatever you need to do to get out asap.

My experience in Toronto vs. Vancouver (not GTA vs Greater Vancouver):
1. Hydro is about double the price in Toronto condos compared to Vancouver.
2. Car insurance is way more expensive in Toronto, even after getting a corporate discount and after shopping around through different brokers.
3. Other than Toronto Islands, if you want to see any nature, it'll be a 2-4 hour drive stuck in horrible traffic in all directions.
4. Housing is cheaper than Vancouver.
5. Eating out and buying some things will have the 13% HST added to your bill in Ontario.
6. Beer drinking appears to be one of the main activities in Toronto, as you can see in the beer bellies of 90% of Toronto men...lol. Obesity level is alarming.
7. There are some old Victorian houses and neighbourhoods to explore. There are beautiful lakes outside the city, but you need to drive for quite a while (by Vancouver standards).
8. There is good food of all varieties just like Vancouver. I actually think Toronto has better Chinese food.
9. Unlike Vancouver, there is no rent control in Toronto, and your rent can go up 10-20% or whatever your landlord wants to charge when it comes to renewal.
10. Income tax is slightly higher in Ontario.
11. Service people seem quite unhappy in Toronto in most grocery stores and at the mall.
12. Winter is of course colder in Toronto, but the sky is mostly blue compared to the grey rainy weather in Vancouver. What you prefer is up to you: freezing temperature with wind chill and blue skies or mild temperature with rain and grey skies.
13. In Toronto, a lot of condo leasing is handled by realtors. Vancouver rentals are handled by either property management companies or owners.
14. Other than the financial district, I've found most neighbourhoods in Toronto to be old and decrepit. There are lots of dirty sketchy streets, and the subway smells.

Last thing, I've always found most Vancouverites to be happy, friendly, and spirited so I don't really understand why some people say we are cold and mean and rude, etc. Obviously, I prefer Vancouver, but I understand why some would prefer Toronto. All things considered, I think we are all very lucky to be living in Canada.
Talk about an over the top post lol... Seriously 90 percent of men are beer drinking and fat - that is extreme.. Plus, there are a plethora of nice parks/ravines in the GTA.. Are they as beautiful as Vancouver no but i'll take Toronto's urban amenities over Vancouver every day and any day.. There is just no comparison in terms of urban things to do between these two cities - Toronto is leagues above Vancouver in nightlife, variety of culinary options, theatre, sports venues, museums, culture, festivals and just things to do... I'm not knocking Vancouver here, its a fine place to live but its on valium when compared to Toronto in terms of being cosmopolitan and urban.. Its prettier, better weather in the winter and more outdoor options but it ends about there..

Old 09-08-2015, 05:14 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,045 times
I have never been to B.C., but always hear really bad stuff about Vancouver's Lower East side which sort of discourages a desire to visit. Is it as bad as it is portrayed? Is there an area in Toronto that is equivalent to Vancouver's Lower East side?

Old 09-09-2015, 08:09 AM

481 posts, read 427,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I don't get it. you're complaining about a lack of night life for under twenty one year olds but are talking as though you already have a family? Are you really a parent who would think it appropriate for their children to enjoy a night life while being under twenty one years old in a major city? Really?

Night scenes or activities within any city I know from coast to coast would be limited to movie theaters for under twenties. Other than that school sponsored activities would be the only other exception but I suspect Vancouver has it's share of both of those.
Not sure why this person and others assumed the OP was talking about entertainment options for people under 21 when he's obviously talking about options for people over 21.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:51 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,607 times
Quote:
Where do people come up with absolute loads of crap like this?

Old 09-10-2015, 07:09 AM

481 posts, read 427,236 times
Quote:
Didn't read your whole post (why bother?) but this jumped out at me, since I was living in a rent-controlled apartment for years in Toronto in a beautiful, tree-lined neighbourhood downtown.

In case anyone wants actual facts instead of a rant, what the person said above only applies to newer buildings in Ontario. If the building was built or occupied as a rental before Nov 1st 1991, rent control applies.

Last edited by Commander Beth; 09-10-2015 at 07:21 AM..

Old 09-10-2015, 10:37 PM

92 posts, read 176,407 times
I moved from Toronto, to Vancouver, and am currently back in Toronto area until we can leave again.

I loved Vancouver! My husband and I moved back for family reasons (my mom was ill, and she has since passed) but we'd go back in a heartbeat.

The only two things I cannot stand in Vancouver:

1. The house prices. Even for folks who make a lot of money, the houses are priced stupidly. Just because you can technically pay your mortgage (if you have your basement and lane house rented out, as well as your spare bedrooms to students LOL) it doesn't mean you SHOULD be buying a house that expensive. Most people in Vancouver are house poor. Our business operates in the credit industry, and, put it this way... A LOT of people who appear to be living it up in multi-million dollar houses are stressed the HELL out with their bills. It isn't all roses.

2. Pet unfriendliness in the rental market. When ten people show up to a rental open house, you can bet you aren't getting the unit if you have a pet. Ontario is great in that regard. We have a lovely house we are grateful for each day and care for like our own, despite the fact that we have 3 dogs.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I have never been to B.C., but always hear really bad stuff about Vancouver's Lower East side which sort of discourages a desire to visit. Is it as bad as it is portrayed? Is there an area in Toronto that is equivalent to Vancouver's Lower East side?
There is no " lower east side ". There is the East End, and the downtown east side. The downtown east side is where a lot of down and outs, drug addicts etc hang out. It is quite a sight to see so many concentrated in one place. They are there because of the old rooms they rent out, and services like the safe injection site are located there. As is a police station.
It is not dangerous, and you would only encounter it if you were to cross over from Gastown to Chinatown.

It is also not a big area, about four blocks long. No reason NOT to visit Vancouver, because of four blocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto