Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 11:21 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,898,756 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys!

Im originally from BC and lived there for 30 years. I have been moved to the US a few years back and have been living quite few cities. LA, Miami, Orlando, Portland, Jacksonville. I am a dual citizen.Anyways Im thinking of moving to Toronto from Florida. My mother is looking to get work there since she has a portable career and I will piggy back on the move. I cannot move around as easily.We are both here in Florida and getting tired of it

Anyways what's a good suburb for someone older liker herself who doesn't like to do allot of driving and something for me a guy in his 30's? I don't need to do the city "glitz and glam" thing anymore, I did that in downtown Vancouver for 11 years. What are the nice clean suburbs affordable? close enough to the downtown core within driving distance to see concerts etc

How snowy does it get? and how do you guys drive on freeways with that? I have been in Miami for the past while and LA before that so Im out of the loop.The last time I was in Toronto I was 1992!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 03:51 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
Toronto gets about 40-50 inches of a snow a winter I think. A decent amount, but a lot less than many places and actually, Vancouver is seen as being practically snowless and gets a decent 15 inches, even moreso in higher altitude places such as North Vancouver I would imagine. I'm pretty sure they tend to salt it in the downtown area quite well too.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 AM

10 posts, read 11,688 times
Since ur from Vancouver, I guess the prices of everything shouldnt scare but, your nightlife interests cannot be met if u live in the suburbs (outside of TO). If ur going downtown u NEED TO TAKE PUBLIC TRANSIT!! As squishy as it may be during rush hours, it's still ok for non-rush hours. And the TTC (transit) is only present within city limits. Driving to downtown is NOT AN OPTION. Yet there are still sooo many idiots that still think that they can cruise on the congested expressway. I dont know waht u think is affordable. A bottom line is that u dont want to live in a house that is less than 400 k in value for beginners. Also, real estate agents are scammers. Never trust their pricing. Best way for info is to ask residnets. There are reasons for huge price disparities for communities that "look" the same. Unfortunately, the question will be asked: how racist are u? Cuz TO is even more diverse than Vancouver. Culturally, what kind of behaviour can u tolerate? Lots of little enclaves. I don't mean that the only place u see chinese people are in Chinatown or only place for italians are in Little Italy. They wander everywhere but can u tolerate them as ur neighbours. If u do plan on the burbs, Markham, Richmond Hill are mainly asians. The west, Vaughan, Thornhill are whites. I don't want to give u a feeling that TO is segregated but too much diversity does have setbacks. Jamaicans and other blacks live in the west part of North York and east part of Scarborough (wink wink, violent parts of TO). Mostly asians sandwiched in between these two masses of blacks. Whites live in midtown and to the southern parts of north york and scarborough. From ur miami experience u should be fine cuz miami culture presents some pretty ugly things if u know what i mean. Midtown would be a good place to look for a start. It is fairly pricey though. (gotta Pay to be close to downtonw.)

Last edited by UnionHater; 11-09-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 11-09-2012, 11:44 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionHater View Post
Unfortunately, the question will be asked: how racist are u? Cuz TO is even more diverse than Vancouver. Culturally, what kind of behaviour can u tolerate? Lots of little enclaves. I don't mean that the only place u see chinese people are in Chinatown or only place for italians are in Little Italy. They wander everywhere but can u tolerate them as ur neighbours.
I honestly don't know what's to "tolerate" about Chinese or Italians. They work, buy groceries, send kids to school and come back for dinner, just like everyone else.
Plus, aren't Italians white too?

Even in Markham, Chinese are about 34%, vs. 34% of Whites. The Chinese are not exactly the dominant population. Yes, they "wander" everywhere, just like the white wander everywhere too. Aren't people supposed to wander around everywhere in the city? The OP has lived in cities like LA and Miami, I doubt he is concerned about tolerating non-whites. That's more like your concern than his.

Last edited by botticelli; 11-09-2012 at 12:01 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 07:26 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,898,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionHater View Post
Since ur from Vancouver, I guess the prices of everything shouldnt scare but, your nightlife interests cannot be met if u live in the suburbs (outside of TO). If ur going downtown u NEED TO TAKE PUBLIC TRANSIT!! As squishy as it may be during rush hours, it's still ok for non-rush hours. And the TTC (transit) is only present within city limits. Driving to downtown is NOT AN OPTION. Yet there are still sooo many idiots that still think that they can cruise on the congested expressway. I dont know waht u think is affordable. A bottom line is that u dont want to live in a house that is less than 400 k in value for beginners. Also, real estate agents are scammers. Never trust their pricing. Best way for info is to ask residnets. There are reasons for huge price disparities for communities that "look" the same. Unfortunately, the question will be asked: how racist are u? Cuz TO is even more diverse than Vancouver. Culturally, what kind of behaviour can u tolerate? Lots of little enclaves. I don't mean that the only place u see chinese people are in Chinatown or only place for italians are in Little Italy. They wander everywhere but can u tolerate them as ur neighbours. If u do plan on the burbs, Markham, Richmond Hill are mainly asians. The west, Vaughan, Thornhill are whites. I don't want to give u a feeling that TO is segregated but too much diversity does have setbacks. Jamaicans and other blacks live in the west part of North York and east part of Scarborough (wink wink, violent parts of TO). Mostly asians sandwiched in between these two masses of blacks. Whites live in midtown and to the southern parts of north york and scarborough. From ur miami experience u should be fine cuz miami culture presents some pretty ugly things if u know what i mean. Midtown would be a good place to look for a start. It is fairly pricey though. (gotta Pay to be close to downtonw.)

good info, what about the suburbs? what are the nice one? Hamilton Missasuaga? tell me about those ones.I know how to handle traffic, I lived in Los Angeles and Miami ( the cuban version of Mario Kart).You'd also be surpassed. Orlando Florida seem to have more crime than LA, I noticed that when I moved there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto