Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 02:44 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Imported fruits and vegetables are the same price in Canada as in the U.S. with any variation being due to the retailer's individual pricing.

Try FreshCo or Food Basics. Both are superior to NoFrills. FreshCo in particular is a clean large store with good prices.

They are opening a TJ's in Amherst just outside of Buffalo. You can drive over and stock up periodically if you miss your TJ's items. Aldi is all over Western NY and I do most of my shopping there (of course I don't live in GTA I live near the border).

Philadelphia uses tokens for SEPTA. I see nothing wrong with tokens. They are very convenient.

Most cities don't have subways going to the airport. D.C. does not to Dulles, Philly only has the regional rail, Los Angeles has nothing... even NYC doesn't connect to Newark only JFK and LaGuardia.

Registration of a car is about the same price in Ontario as it is in New York State. You also don't have to pay for yearly inspections like in Pennsylvania or Virginia. You don't have to pay yearly personal property tax on the car like many southern states like Virginia and North Carolina. The personal property tax over the lifetime of a car in those states, when added to their initial sales tax, adds up to way more than the upfront 13% sales tax.

However, car insurance in Ontario is a huge, monumental rip-off. Something needs to be done about it.

The car parts I have found to be fairly competitively priced. Canadian Tire won't have the cheapest possible brake rotor, which Advance Auto Parts in the U.S. will carry, but what they will stock will cost a little bit more and will be higher quality. The same quality part would cost you the same in the U.S. Most replacement car parts are made in the U.S., Canada, or Mexico and no duties apply. Dealer items made overseas are probably more expensive here. My best advice is to either bring your car with you to Canada and import it, or buy a used car. The winter salt will eat up your car anyway so why not buy a nice used car down south that hasn't deteriorated and rusted away. I wouldn't subject a brand new Mercedes to this climate and salt.
I am fine with all the othe high costs except the auto insurance part.

I mean, let's not kid ourselves, Toronto is no NYC or London. Most people still need cars to get around considering how spreadout things are. Yes, there are transit, but the idea of taking more than 75 minutes of subway + bus to get to my favourite Chinese restaurants on Finch or Steeles is crazy, when driving takes something like 20-25 minutes.

Not sure why Torontonians tolerate this kind of rip-off. People often boast TTC ridership is the highest as if it is the success of the system. Truth is, it is largely because many people can't afford to drive, not because TTC is super convenient and reliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 03:36 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Most cities don't have subways going to the airport. D.C. does not to Dulles, Philly only has the regional rail, Los Angeles has nothing... even NYC doesn't connect to Newark only JFK and LaGuardia.
For what it's worth, the last time I flew into Dulles the cabbie told me they were in the process of building the metro out to Dulles. I also believe Reagan is connected to the subway as well in D.C. Newark is connected too as was mentioned. It's pretty common in major cities. I just don't think the city planners had the forsight that Toronto would grow so big over time, and our politicians don't have the gumption to make s&%t happen.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,077 times
Can me and my wife live in Toronto with $Can 5.000.00 a month, renting a Condo with 2 bedrooms. I am a senior citizen . Can we live confortably on that income.?

Old 03-01-2013, 08:54 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary Serrao D View Post
Can me and my wife live in Toronto with $Can 5.000.00 a month, renting a Condo with 2 bedrooms. I am a senior citizen . Can we live confortably on that income.?
It will be pretty tough to live comfortably on 5,000 /month. Where would you be moving from?

Old 03-03-2013, 10:15 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
LOL funny you should say this because if you look closely enough you can find 5 dollar basic car washes ... hint.... not at big oil gas stations but at independants..

Besides one thing! Who pays for a car wash lol... I always have more than enough points to spare to cover my washes ie.. esso extra or petro points!

No Frills and Food Basics are GREAT ways to slash a grocery bill! The bulk of my shopping is done at those places ie.. pantry items, milk, bread, cheese, butter all the staple items. I balk at some meats and the fruits and vegetables for the most part and will go to Longo's or Loblaws for specialty items. Otherwise I have no idea why people spend more for practically the same items for the sake of convenience.

Also don't discount Dollorama for some basic food items like KD!

As for eating out it depends... I don't eat at Mc'D and would prefer to eat Chinese or Middle Eastern Food if I go out to eat... T.O is tough to beat for cheap and authentic ethnic cuisine if you live DT.

T.O can be expensive but if you are a smart shopper there are a billion ways to cut expenses and live decently. As with any place you have to do some research and just shop around! T.O is a huge city with plenty of choice! If your mentality is shop at big box stores or American chains than it is more pricey than the U.S - but if you detach from that thinking than T.O can actually be a cheaper place to buy goods from groceries to clothes and everything in between!

Even decent rent prices can be found if you are willing to look around. I'm not big into home ownership and prefer to rent cheaply and invest more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pignchick View Post
The basic washes usually start at $10 where in the USA I could many places that had basic washes for $5.

That is my rant for now....

Last edited by fusion2; 03-03-2013 at 10:40 AM..

Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 AM

The toughest part of this is the condo with 2 Bdrm's... I think that would eat away at about 2k per month out of the 5k. Having said that if you don't drive and save money in auto expenses and are open to being a smart shopper for goods, have no debt I would say it is entirely possible for you to live on that amount and rent a 2bdm condo. It would be tight if you want to travel!

Having said that if you have fixed and guaranteed incomes and are open to living abroad like in Thailand, Malaysia or some latin American countries like Mexico or Ecuador you could live like royalty on 5K per month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary Serrao D View Post

Old 03-03-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
T.O can be expensive but if you are a smart shopper there are a billion ways to cut expenses and live decently. As with any place you have to do some research and just shop around! T.O is a huge city with plenty of choice! If your mentality is shop at big box stores or American chains than it is more pricey than the U.S - but if you detach from that thinking than T.O can actually be a cheaper place to buy goods from groceries to clothes and everything in between!

Even decent rent prices can be found if you are willing to look around. I'm not big into home ownership and prefer to rent cheaply and invest more.
That is ridiculous. All the things you list to cut costs you can do in any US city just as well. In fact you will generally find larger discounts in the US. It is not a valid comparison to use bargain shopping in one city and not do it in the other.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The toughest part of this is the condo with 2 Bdrm's... I think that would eat away at about 2k per month out of the 5k. Having said that if you don't drive and save money in auto expenses and are open to being a smart shopper for goods, have no debt I would say it is entirely possible for you to live on that amount and rent a 2bdm condo. It would be tight if you want to travel!

Having said that if you have fixed and guaranteed incomes and are open to living abroad like in Thailand, Malaysia or some latin American countries like Mexico or Ecuador you could live like royalty on 5K per month.
"Can we live confortably on that income.?"

That is the question, not whether it is possible to live on that. The answer to their question is NO.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:59 PM

So I take it you've thoroughly shopped in T.O in order to make such an informed opinion? Have you shopped for food at No Frills or T&T food markets? Have you examined all of the entertainment options in Toronto and compared to U.S equivalents (which there are few of btw).. Have you shopped at Dollorama - we have Dollar Tree as well... have you shopped at Value Village or no frills clothing stores on Queen Street West. Have you compared all the museum prices for seniors who get discounts between Toronto and comparable U.S cities - have you??

I just spent 4.25 for a beef Samosa, Spinach pie and a bowl of lentil soup from Ghazale and that was my dinner. I'm full and I got to eat authentic M.E food. I said it before and i'll say again... Toronto is a huge city and with that comes something called competition... of course there are comparable examples in the U.S but i'll stick by my guns on what I said about finding alot of cheap items in T.O...

One more thing to love about T.O - A REAL hot dog for 3 bucks at a stall!! I'll take that over a Big Mac any day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
That is ridiculous. All the things you list to cut costs you can do in any US city just as well. In fact you will generally find larger discounts in the US. It is not a valid comparison to use bargain shopping in one city and not do it in the other.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-06-2013 at 05:26 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 05:04 PM

Well yes you can comfortably live on that income it depends on what is your idea of comfortable and your expectations. You can burn through 5k a month in most major U.S cities as in Toronto so not sure what you're problem is with my answer. Anyway if you want to live COMFORTABLY on 5 K per month i'll stick with what I said and recommend moving to Malaysia, Thailand, Ecuador etc... I certainly wouldn't recommend living in either the U.S or Canada if you reaaaallllyyy want to make you dollar stretch - plain and simple!

If you eat out every night, have an expensive car payment and like to live a more lavish lifestyle than you can't live on 5K. But there are plenty of affordable shopping and entertainment options in T.O. for those that have realistic expectations and manage their money. My partner and I live on just over 5 K per month and live in DT toronto... no we don't have a two bedroom condo but we have a comfortable 1 bedroom apartment and love living here - it's a big cosmo city and there are plenty of entertainment options and you'd be surprised how many of them are free!

Regardless I detect a tinge of anger in your posts lol what gives.. Like everyone here we all have an opinion and point of view. I meant no ill intention to the person's question. Besides, If they do live in an uber cheap place (if in the U.S at best isn't going to be that much cheaper than T.O) than perhaps they are willing to make some sacrifices based on some research they've done on the city ie.. QOL and living in a safe and cosmopolitan city. Perhaps they don't want to live in boring rural town in either Canada or the United States?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
"Can we live confortably on that income.?"

That is the question, not whether it is possible to live on that. The answer to their question is NO.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-06-2013 at 05:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto