Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 11:10 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,389 times

Advertisements

Thanks for those additional suggestions TOkidd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Toronto's (and English-speaking Canada's) entertainment and popular culture industries have been slow to get off the ground. The truth is most people in Toronto, except for news and some sports, don't see their city on the small or the big screen that often either.
And so... this begs the question why? Given I can clearly see Toronto is as visually cinematic worthy as any other city. It's right up there with the best of them if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 07:22 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Thanks for those additional suggestions TOkidd.

And so... this begs the question why? Given I can clearly see Toronto is as visually cinematic worthy as any other city. It's right up there with the best of them if you ask me.
Toronto does have an awesome skyline (one of the best in North America - catching up and passing Chicago soon probably) which is a great backdrop for TV shows and movies. Its older residential streets also have nice bay and gable houses which can be beautiful and very charming. That said, most of the main commercial streets can be quite bland and generic.

Still, I don't think that any of this is the reason for Toronto's low profile in TV and film. This is more of a Canadian issue than a Toronto issue. (And especially an English Canadian issue, as it tends to unsure of itself and ultra-timid when it comes to popular culture, entertainment, and anything remotely related to this.)

Old 05-29-2013, 11:46 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Don't get me wrong about this development - it is tall and has more intricate and interesting details than most developments going up - but I just don't think this area needs a Square box (even if it is a tall one with waves).. I think they could have done something more extraordinary like and remember this one: the Sapphire tower!!

TORONTO | Sapphire Tower | 1,107' Pinnacle / 933' Roof | 88 FLOORS | NEVER BUILT - SkyscraperPage Forum

That would have made a statement for this area like - Yonge and Dundas eat your heart out.. Sometimes I feel that we have a fear of any geometric shape that isn't 4 right angles. Anyway maybe the actual building will be better than I expect.. so far Aura is completely a dissapointment vs the rendering.. it looked sexier and more sleak - the actual is looking like a colossal monolith!
1B is one of my favourite developments right now and great gulf homes seems to be a popular company. That being said, cheaper materials/curtain wall could easily end up ruining it like we saw with Aura.

Luckily some of the newer proposals have a less 'boxy' look to them:

Mirvish+Gehry Toronto | Urban Toronto
New Renderings Up The Ante For Oxford Place Development | Urban Toronto
1 to 7 Yonge (Toronto Star Lands) | Urban Toronto

I agree the area needs something iconic though (absolute world comes to mind).

Old 05-29-2013, 01:56 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,277 times
Spectacular helicopter tour over downtown from just a couple days ago. This city is getting truly huge.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:23 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,472,970 times
Those developments either on the lake or easy walking distance seem like a very attractive development. I'm a foreigner, but it seems to me a great lake is a super asset. Even the upper Mississippi River is considered a civic asset. And that lake is of another class entirely.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:39 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Nice! Can I use this in the city vs city portion if you don't? I live dt but work in Mississauga and everyday I drive back into DT it keeps looking bigger and bigger! Good times..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Spectacular helicopter tour over downtown from just a couple days ago. This city is getting truly huge.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:51 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Good stuff - I almost think that Toronto may go 'anti-box' just to shed our boxy image lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post
1B is one of my favourite developments right now and great gulf homes seems to be a popular company. That being said, cheaper materials/curtain wall could easily end up ruining it like we saw with Aura.

Luckily some of the newer proposals have a less 'boxy' look to them:

Mirvish+Gehry Toronto | Urban Toronto
New Renderings Up The Ante For Oxford Place Development | Urban Toronto
1 to 7 Yonge (Toronto Star Lands) | Urban Toronto

I agree the area needs something iconic though (absolute world comes to mind).

Old 05-29-2013, 04:36 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Nice! Can I use this in the city vs city portion if you don't? I live dt but work in Mississauga and everyday I drive back into DT it keeps looking bigger and bigger! Good times..
By all means, please do!

Old 05-29-2013, 05:16 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Can you show me the UN-official Toronto skyline, so I'll know if I'm being duped or not when I drive in from Hamilton?

Old 05-29-2013, 05:50 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,472,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Can you show me the UN-official Toronto skyline, so I'll know if I'm being duped or not when I drive in from Hamilton?
They should get international architects who specialize in using natural environmental assets in their building designs. Cable channels have had good shows on great things that have happened globally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto