Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 01:29 AM

2 posts, read 1,772 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! This is my first post. I'll get right to the point, thanks in advance:

My uncle (my dad's brother) is selling his standalone commercial building in Port Hope, a quaint little resort town 1 hour east of Toronto. It is a convenience store with a 2 bedroom apartment on the 2nd floor.

Here are the facts:

-building is appraised at $225,000 and he is selling it to me for $210,000
-my uncle wants $100,000 cash up front and he is willing to do a Take Back Mortgage for the rest owing
-I don't have liquid funds, but I have approximately $200,000 equity in my house
-my annual income from my day job is $55,000 after tax (I don't plan to quit my job)
-my dad has been retired for 2 years, and is “bored” and wants to work/manage the store for my benefit (he doesn't need the money, he just wants to help his lil' girl get ahead)
-my father is an accomplished businessman (trading/exporting for 30 years and has owned/operated retail stores in the past as well) so he knows how to get things done
-he would be living upstairs in the 2 bedroom unit
-my uncle paid off the building a few years ago and doesn't owe a cent
-presently the building/convenience store business is being leased to someone in his church circle, this guy has been getting a good deal for over 10 years (he's been paying my uncle $1700/month to lease the store and $600 rent for upstairs apartment and my uncle has never increased it on him same price for over 10 years!)
-the guy NETS $5500/month from the store after paying my uncle his $2300/month (duh that's what net means lol)

-my uncle stubbornly insists on receiving the $100,000 cash up front, this is NOT open for discussion (trust me I've tried pleading to give him just $50,000 up front instead of the $100,000)
-annual property tax is $2,567 (so property tax + building insurance is about $4,200/year)
-no trust issues, my uncle, dad and I all share a very strong bond/trust

So my question is, what's the best method to give him his $100,000 and buy the store/building? I have no idea how much the real (after all hidden fees, interest etc etc) cost would be for a 2nd mortgage against my house, I'm hearing conflicting info on the true costs to pull equity from your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 07:43 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,291 times
There's a lot of redflags here in my opinion. Why is time running out? That's the biggest redflag. In my mind, you're rushing in a bit fast. Saving $15,000 off an 'appraised' value (appraised by whom, I wonder) hardly seems worth the potential headaches .

Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 AM

377 posts, read 1,695,677 times
Why post on this on a forum? The cost of borrowing against your home are best discussed with a mortgage broker or your bank.

Also a commercial building with stable income would be relatively easy to finance up to 50% of it's value, so you may better off to get a 1st mortgage from a traditional lender, and give you uncle a VTB in 2nd position for the balance of the purchase price.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Get a 1st mortgage on the commercial property not a 2nd on your house.
Your post is unclear - who would be running the store - your Dad or the existing tenant?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 1,772 times
Wow you guys are awesome.

I'll answer all 3 of you now, it's rather simple:

My father will be running the store, 100%. Like I said I'm not leaving my day job in Toronto, and he's bored out of his mind in retirement, and he's always been super-supportive (I will forever be his lil' girl) and WILL manage the store successfully.

Red flags? The only reason I said "time is running out" is because the offer has been on the table for almost a year now, so my uncle is waiting for me to stop procrastinating and decide before he lists it up for sale. He says he will list it at $249,000 and see how it goes (and I do believe him he's always been straight up).

My uncle is 72 years of age, he just wants to retire and move to SoCal.

Thanks again guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto