Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 10:54 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,354 times

Advertisements

So it looks like Bain Capital (i.e. Rape and Pillage, Inc) has bought majority shares in Canada Goose. They say production will continue in Canada, but anyone familiar with these corporate bloodsuckers know it is only a matter of time before the following happens:
  • Bain ensures that things will continue as normal, as quality standards and current employees are important and critical to success.
  • But aw shucks, they need to cut costs and boost share values.
  • Production is moved overseas, preferably to some country with horrible wages, working conditions, and quality standards, where women and children sew jackets for 18-hour shifts while sitting in puddles of their own filth and dodging crumbling concrete.
  • Huge bonuses to executives and Bain shareholders for a job well-done.
  • Layoffs at Canadian production shops.
  • More layoffs at Canadian production shops.
  • Canadian production shops closed.
  • Market share declines as the next fashion fad comes around, Canadian headquarters closed.
  • Huge bonuses to executives and Bain shareholders for another job well-done.
  • Ride off into sunset.
  • Rinse, repeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 11:36 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
^ if that happens, that only means on thing: Canada is not a competitive market for down jacket manufacturing.
I am sure you didn't care that much about "women and children sew jackets for 18-hour shifts while sitting in puddles of their own filth and dodging crumbling concrete" when you bought all the stuff made in China, Vietnam, Bangladesh etc. How many of your personal belongs were made in Canada or advanced economies?

Put the hypocricy aside, those women and children, if not sitting in their own filth working for 18 hours making a paltry $2/hour, they end up standing in the corn fields making 20 cents/hour. For millions of people outside there, having a paying job and having the chance to provide for their family is a nice thing. They don't expect paid vacations, sick days, pension and maternal leave of one year, as you guys seem a god given rights. That's not called bad human rights or labour condition, that's called reality of poor countries.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:05 PM

325 posts, read 1,036,229 times
Man this thread is SO Canadian it hurts. It's like we all forgot about the first line of this post:

It starts off with "Anyone else sick of these coats?"

Many people chime in, talking about how much they hate this made in Canada success story.

Now American company comes in and buys them, and we lament the loss.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:15 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,427 times
Meh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoNotMe View Post

Where is this mass of people changing their minds after the takeover in this thread? Can you quote them for me?

Old 12-12-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Man this thread is SO Canadian it hurts. It's like we all forgot about the first line of this post:

It starts off with "Anyone else sick of these coats?"

Many people chime in, talking about how much they hate this made in Canada success story.

TD bought commerce bank and BMO bought Harris Bank. It is business, and businesses buy each other. There is nothing to "lament" about.

Canada has this strategy to almost exclusively serve one single market, and you harvest what you sowed.

Plus, since when Canada has an advantage to make clothes? Club Monaco was bought by Ralph Lauren a long time ago. Did we lament that?

Old 12-12-2013, 12:26 PM

Canada Goose had a revenue of about $82M, compared with 16B for GAP. It is not a big nor well known company outside Canada to start with.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:46 PM

564 posts, read 1,040,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
For millions of people outside there, having a paying job and having the chance to provide for their family is a nice thing. They don't expect paid vacations, sick days, pension and maternal leave of one year, as you guys seem a god given rights. That's not called bad human rights or labour condition, that's called reality of poor countries.
There is always an underclass that is exploited by the classes above. It used to be the poor and the immigrants within our own borders, but now we have moved operations overseas where it is kept out of sight and mind of consumers. Until a roof caves in or a fire breaks out.

I believe that a company needs to extend certain dignities to all workers, regardless of whether or not they are ripe for neglect and exploitation. There should be basic standards of fair wages and safe working conditions, especially if western companies are footing the bill. All of this can be done within the context of the existing culture and economy.

Western companies can use their influence to improve things for foreign workers, but it's a conflict of interest for them because they are there to exploit that cheap labour and slack conditions in the first place. As conditions and worker empowerment improve in those countries, they will just seek out cheaper workers to exploit. Nature of the beast.

Quote:
Man this thread is SO Canadian it hurts...American company comes in and buys them, and we lament the loss.
Not me. I don't begrudge the quality of the coats, but the price was just ridiculous. America owns us anyway; the whole Canadian sovereignty thing is just an illusion. This country was bought and paid for years ago.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:51 PM

484 posts, read 1,286,220 times
Quote:
Canada Goose had a revenue of about $82M, compared with 16B for GAP. It is not a big nor well known company outside Canada to start with.
You're comparing apples to Mangoes.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:27 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Meh....

Where is this mass of people changing their minds after the takeover in this thread? Can you quote them for me?
I said that 'we' lament the loss, so I don't need a mass, I just need two (and maybe just one, technically if I take we as meaning one other fellow Canadian).

I believe that calling Bain 'rape and pillage' was not meant as compliment.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:50 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
Quote:
^ if that happens, that only means on thing: Canada is not a competitive market for down jacket manufacturing.
Or many other manufactured products, for that matter.

Quote:
I am sure you didn't care that much about "women and children sew jackets for 18-hour shifts while sitting in puddles of their own filth and dodging crumbling concrete" when you bought all the stuff made in China, Vietnam, Bangladesh etc. How many of your personal belongs were made in Canada or advanced economies?
I think a great many of us would 'buy Canadian' if we had a choice, but not many products are actually manufactured here or in other "advanced" economies. That being said, I am still not going to pay a ridiculous price for something simply so I can feel patriotic about doing it. If Canada Goose made coats that were in the same price range as Columbia or many other decent manufacturers, I may have bought one. However, I work too hard for my money to needlessly pay more than double than I would for a comparable jacket made by another company. If I was in the market for an Arctic/Antarctic survival coat, Canada Goose would likely be my #1 choice. However, when buying a winter jacket for daily use in the GTA, paying $600 or more for a coat that would keep me warm down to -50 seems more than a little extreme.

Quote:
Put the hypocricy aside, those women and children, if not sitting in their own filth working for 18 hours making a paltry $2/hour, they end up standing in the corn fields making 20 cents/hour. For millions of people outside there, having a paying job and having the chance to provide for their family is a nice thing. They don't expect paid vacations, sick days, pension and maternal leave of one year, as you guys seem a god given rights. That's not called bad human rights or labour condition, that's called reality of poor countries.
In many of these "poor countries", $2.00 an hour is a decent wage considering that (in most cases) their cost of living is much lower than we are accustomed to. Comparing the wages v. relative needs of a worker in a country like Canada to that of a worker in Bangladesh is like comparing an apple to a Volkswagen. Anyone who has ever been to Cuba and travelled anywhere outside the resort can see the reality of this first-hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto