Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:20 PM

564 posts, read 1,039,993 times

Advertisements

Since arriving in TO, I've made it a point to try and sample the wide variety of burger joints in town. Usually I just go for the simple burger, i.e. a patty, maybe with cheese, with basic fixings. So far I've tried the following:

1. Big Smoke - very good burger, my favorite so far. Fresh meat, tastes like real ground.

2. Hero - tasted ok but had the mouth-feel and appearance of a cheap frozen "filler-based" patty, like what you'd get out of a box in the grocery store. Gained points for their approach to ethically-raised and pastured meats, but lost points for looking cheap.

3. Wimpys - I liked this one, too. Huge patties that felt and tasted like a real burger fresh off the bbq. But judging by the quality of fries and the cheap looking foods pictured on the menus, typical of places like Zellers Skillet or the fast food counter at Costco, it makes me wonder if the meat is bottom of the barrel chuck.

Next on my list are Five Guys and Burger's Priest.

So what is everyone else's favorite burger joint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 02:23 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Since arriving in TO, I've made it a point to try and sample the wide variety of burger joints in town. Usually I just go for the simple burger, i.e. a patty, maybe with cheese, with basic fixings. So far I've tried the following:

1. Big Smoke - very good burger, my favorite so far. Fresh meat, tastes like real ground.

2. Hero - tasted ok but had the mouth-feel and appearance of a cheap frozen "filler-based" patty, like what you'd get out of a box in the grocery store. Gained points for their approach to ethically-raised and pastured meats, but lost points for looking cheap.

3. Wimpys - I liked this one, too. Huge patties that felt and tasted like a real burger fresh off the bbq. But judging by the quality of fries and the cheap looking foods pictured on the menus, typical of places like Zellers Skillet or the fast food counter at Costco, it makes me wonder if the meat is bottom of the barrel chuck.

Next on my list are Five Guys and Burger's Priest.

So what is everyone else's favorite burger joint?
Apache in Etobicoke and Fire Pitt in Mississauga

Old 04-10-2013, 05:25 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,454 times
Five Guys is a good one - there's one right by where I live, but it's damn expensive for a burger. I don't think they have locations in TO yet.
I'm not a fan of Hero Burger at all. I remember when they first open in Hazleton Lanes, they were really good and I visited a few times, but once they franchised quality went way down.
Burger Priest is known to have some of the best burgers in the city at the moment.
There's a spot on Queen West near Bathurst (can't remember the name) that also has good burgers.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:35 AM

564 posts, read 1,039,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Five Guys is a good one - there's one right by where I live, but it's damn expensive for a burger. I don't think they have locations in TO yet.
There is one on Yonge between Gerrard and Dundas. Going to try it this weekend if I get the chance.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:12 AM

484 posts, read 1,285,646 times
There's also a five guys in North York and in Scarborough. I've been but quickly walked out. I can't believe they only have five things on their menu, I though it was just a name.

I'm not into (beef) burgers but for a non-chain I heard that johnny's hamburgers at Sheppard and Vic. Park is one of the best. There's no seating though, so you just have to grab and go.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
There is one on Yonge between Gerrard and Dundas. Going to try it this weekend if I get the chance.
Ah, so they finally opened one DT. At Five Guys, their "regular" burger has two beef patties. You have to order a "junior" burger for a single patty. Personally, I always go for the regular bacon cheeseburger (toppings are free), which costs close to $9.00. Their fries are very popular, and you can order them regular or Cajun, but I don't particularly like them so I don't order them. Five guys also has a tradition of giving you lots of fries. You'll see what I mean you go there yourself. All in all if you order a regular bacon cheeseburger with fries and a coke, you're looking at close to $15.00. A little to steep for a burger place IMO, but definitely worth a visit.
Let us know what you think when you get a chance.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
There's also a five guys in North York and in Scarborough. I've been but quickly walked out. I can't believe they only have five things on their menu, I though it was just a name.

I'm not into (beef) burgers but for a non-chain I heard that johnny's hamburgers at Sheppard and Vic. Park is one of the best. There's no seating though, so you just have to grab and go.
Yeah, Five Guys is strictly a burger and fries place. You don't go there for salads or sandwiches or anything else. They do make a grilled cheese but it's not really worth it.

So yeah, Five Guys is definitely for those who want a burger, fries, and nothing more.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,108 times
Burger Priest is the best IMO. There are two locations, one at Yonge and Lawrence and one on down Queen East. I'd say Big Smoke is second best and there are a few locations around town. I agree that Hero is not as tasty but is probably the most healthy, if that means anything. If you want a fancy burger in a restaurant, go to the Harbord Room. Very good but very rich, you'll feel a bit sluggish after. The Stockyards also good burgers, including a Butter Burger. Tasty but again very rich.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:23 PM

I might get skewered for saying this, but I actually really like Lick's burgers.

I still remember going downtown as a teenager and eating at the big old Lick's at Yonge and Dundas. Back then that was the only Lick's. It was an experience to eat there.

Still, the quality of their beef is great, that guck stuff is an awesome topping, and what other burger spot do mofos sing oldies with altered, burger-based lyrics while you wait for them to make your burger? It may not be the best burger in TO, but I think it might be for the price.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:26 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,448,725 times
My wife and I went to the Five Guys on North Queen, in Etobicoke, near Sherway Gardens.

Jeeeez. Two burgers, two fries and two drinks TWENTY SEVEN DOLLARS. WTF ?

I don't care if the meat was from Kobi steers, who get a bottle of beer every day. THAT WAS WAY TOO MUCH MONEY , for what you get.

That was the last time, they will see us there.

I don't care that the potatoes come from PEI, or that the burger comes in tin foil wrap.

Harveys gives a better deal, for the money.

Jim b

Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto