Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:04 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,232,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Anybody who would come to Toronto and leave thinking it is a World Class City on par with the likes of New York has never been to one. The reality is that there really are only three other cities in the world in the same category as NYC: London, Paris and Tokyo. You would have to be a brain-dead bumpkin with the IQ of a golf shoe to think that Toronto belongs anywhere near this list.

Seriously, what are you comparing? Live theater? Shopping opportunities? Museums? Iconic buildings? Comedy clubs? Do you honestly think Toronto can compete with New York on any of these levels?

More entertainment options than Chicago and Las Vegas? LOL! Thanks for the laugh, buddy.
Where in my post did i say anything about Toronto being equal to New York or those other cities you listed? I said major world city, which it is, and it offers all the entertainment options that any major world city should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 09:10 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,708,553 times
It's always kind of amusing to hear people from places like Oshawa, North Bay, Barrie, etc. denigrate Toronto for being a cultural backwater and not world-class etc.

Let's put it this way: Canadians from the "sticks" hate Toronto far more than Toronto residents love it.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:22 PM

98 posts, read 178,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Do you actually believe this? You would say places like Mexico City, Panama City, Guadalajara, Chicago, Miami, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Boston and Philadelphia would be lacking or downright boring compared to Toronto?

You seriously need to get out more.
I understand this is subjective but people that I know and myself included thinks Toronto is much more interesting (less boring) than Boston, Miami, Philadelphia!

I am a liberal, progressive person living in the US. I have explored major US cities. My friends and as well as my co workers (bankers) definitely find Toronto much more interesting than Miami, LA, Boston and Philadelphia.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:27 PM

3,850 posts, read 5,266,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
I don't know about the Mexican and Central American cities you listed (wasn't really considering them, should have been more specific), but as to the American cities cities you listed -- yes, I do seriously believe that. Toronto offers a wider breadth of options, and there's simply more going on.
Yeah sorry I am one of those crazy people who thinks North America doesnt stop at Texas, forgive me.

You are entitled to your opinion, but the question is have you ever considered that maybe you think Toronto has so many more entertainment options because you live there and have an intimate knowledge of the city? Do you not think that if you moved to one of those large US cities mentioned and lived there for an extended period of time, you would not find the same amount and god forbid maybe even more entertainment options?

This is what I meant by some folks overrating Toronto, they are typically in the camp of those who have had very limited opportunities to experience urban life (as a place to live) and think these things are exclusive to Toronto. This is not only a Toronto issue, you can substitute any large city and people who are residents will overrate their cities as well.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:27 PM

98 posts, read 178,018 times
Quote:
I don't know about the Mexican and Central American cities you listed (wasn't really considering them, should have been more specific), but as to the American cities cities you listed -- yes, I do seriously believe that. Toronto offers a wider breadth of options, and there's simply more going on.
I completely agree. I hate to reiterate but progressive, liberal Americans definitely admire Toronto more than they do Boston, Miami and LA. It is quite laughable because Toronto is way more advanced than Miami!!!! When we think of cities to visit, we think of Toronto and not Miami. Don't get me wrong, there're certain types who love Miami.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan66 View Post
I completely agree. I hate to reiterate but progressive, liberal Americans definitely admire Toronto more than they do Boston, Miami and LA. It is quite laughable because Toronto is way more advanced than Miami!!!! When we think of cities to visit, we think of Toronto and not Miami. Don't get me wrong, there're certain types who love Miami.
Yes absolutely, only sophisticated worldly, liberal and progressive folks can appreciate Toronto. The backwater wingnuts just love Miami....

Old 07-25-2013, 10:13 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,800,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Yeah sorry I am one of those crazy people who thinks North America doesnt stop at Texas, forgive me.

You are entitled to your opinion, but the question is have you ever considered that maybe you think Toronto has so many more entertainment options because you live there and have an intimate knowledge of the city? Do you not think that if you moved to one of those large US cities mentioned and lived there for an extended period of time, you would not find the same amount and god forbid maybe even more entertainment options?

This is what I meant by some folks overrating Toronto, they are typically in the camp of those who have had very limited opportunities to experience urban life (as a place to live) and think these things are exclusive to Toronto. This is not only a Toronto issue, you can substitute any large city and people who are residents will overrate their cities as well.
When were you in Toronto last Edward? Toronto has a plethora of entertainment options.. If you enjoy museums we have some pretty impressive examples... Theatre... absolutely Check - its massive.. Some great summer festivals.... check check check...The most visited Amusement park outside Disney's - check in Canada's Wonderland - A world class - yes world class Zoo check - some amazing nabe's with a huge spectrum of multicultural offerings few can match - check and yes Toronto does have a pretty good nightlife as well.. is it as exciting as Istanbul... no - but in Canada and the U.S Toronto is definitely a premier city for things to do...Heck we've even got a 300 million dollar Islamic Museum and Ripley's Acquarium opening up soon -- so for you to deny that T.O is chock full of things to do should be clearly apparent to those familiar with your posts - that you have a never ending axe to grind with Toronto...

Old 07-25-2013, 10:24 PM

LOL - hit the nail on the head... what is it with the love affair with the Toronto hate and axe grinding.... what is the real motivation for it - I think we know what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
It's always kind of amusing to hear people from places like Oshawa, North Bay, Barrie, etc. denigrate Toronto for being a cultural backwater and not world-class etc.

Let's put it this way: Canadians from the "sticks" hate Toronto far more than Toronto residents love it.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
When were you in Toronto last Edward? Toronto has a plethora of entertainment options.. If you enjoy museums we have some pretty impressive examples... Theatre... absolutely Check.. Some great summer festivals.... check check check... and yes Toronto does have a pretty good nightlife as well.. is it as exciting as Istanbul... no - but in Canada and the U.S Toronto is definitely a premier city for things to do...For you to deny this should be clearly apparent to those familiar with your posts - that you have a never ending axe to grind with Toronto...
My in laws and extended family are still in Toronto, so I am up there often. As recently as a few months ago. The visits will be less frequent when I hop across the pond permanently, but they have been very often since I have been in Boston.

What you are not understanding is that I am not insulting Toronto. I never once said it was devoid of entertainment options, culture or any other amenities that a large city offers. Heck it is a huge metro area that acts like one, its the reason why people like us love living in cities. What I did say though is that I do not see Toronto as being superior to many other large cities in North America and if you had the opportunity to live in another large city and got to know it intimately, then you would see that there are many cities that offer the same.

If you take that as an insult against Toronto then you severely underrate the great and exciting cities we have on this continent. So just to clarify Toronto is not inferior to these cities, save the obvious like NYC and Mexico City which are in a league of their own, but in the group that falls below and in my opinion that is not a bad place to be.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:31 PM

They always have to put us in our place don't they Atticman

Quote:
Where in my post did i say anything about Toronto being equal to New York or those other cities you listed? I said major world city, which it is, and it offers all the entertainment options that any major world city should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto