Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schang48 View Post
My husband will be working in downtown Toronto. In the finance district.
You would be wise to try and live close to his work. We are not joking when we say that the daily commute from outer areas will, in most cases, be brutal.

Quote:
We have looked at areas like Oakville and Markham(some friends recommended these but they are pretty expensive) but were hoping there were other areas about...in a family orientated area.
As others have said, almost all of Toronto is family-friendly, even the downtown. But quality of life suffers when you are stuck on the highway or crammed onto a train, bus, or streetcar for hours each day. Commuting from the outskirts can be both costly and excruciating.

Oakville and Markham are great places to live, but high housing prices around most of the GTA are the sad reality. Which is why most of us recommend renting right now, especially as a newcomer, and especially as many experts feel an eventual housing correction is coming. But if the money is no object and you are sure you will be there for several years, do what you feel is best.

Good luck, hope your move goes well and you enjoy the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 02:01 PM

14 posts, read 16,088 times
You can find new and newer homes and especially city townhomes. There are a good selection of infill properties in the city core. It will take time and effort, a good realtor can help.

Good luck.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,451 times
I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE: WE WANT TO MOVE TO CANADA(TORONTO)WITH WIFE AND KIDS, WE LIVE IN TEXAS BUT I SEE THE OPPORTUNITY TO STAR BUSSINES THERE, PLEASE I NEED HELP WITH THIS.
-Good area for living with family FRIENDLY AREAS
-Closed or Near Hispanic community
-Also an idea how much people pay for rent average 2 bed 1 bath
-What is the min, salary
- Is bank available to loan money for real estate?

also please help me in post this, how can i post in my blog????? sorry any inconvinience

Old 03-06-2017, 05:36 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbalifejulio View Post
I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE: WE WANT TO MOVE TO CANADA(TORONTO)WITH WIFE AND KIDS, WE LIVE IN TEXAS BUT I SEE THE OPPORTUNITY TO STAR BUSSINES THERE, PLEASE I NEED HELP WITH THIS.
-Good area for living with family FRIENDLY AREAS
-Closed or Near Hispanic community
-Also an idea how much people pay for rent average 2 bed 1 bath
-What is the min, salary
- Is bank available to loan money for real estate?

also please help me in post this, how can i post in my blog????? sorry any inconvinience

Bad hombre with bad spelling?

Old 07-08-2017, 01:28 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Bad hombre with bad spelling?
Will need a boatload of US Greenbacks...Toronto realestate is not cheap

Old 08-14-2017, 05:43 AM

47 posts, read 38,486 times
You guys recommend renting, but what references do landlords want in place?
I really want to come to toronto and live here for a month or so first, however I assume just like here in the uk, the landlords want to know you have a job, even if I have a lump of money in my account?

Old 08-14-2017, 06:45 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,109 times
Quote:
Hi all,
So need a little help here.
My husband has been offered a job in Toronto and we want to buy a house there.
We are looking for new builds as the house we live in now is really old and thus not too warm in the winter. And I hear the winters can be a bit brutal in Toronto?
Can anyone recommend a family friendly area?
I have such a strong unit of friends here so I'm looking to build up a sense of community with my future neighbours.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Schang
I recommend you convince your husband to do two things:

1. rent a place before you commit to buying. Toronto has so many wonderful areas you'd be really doing yourselves a disservice if you just dived into buying a home without exploring the city for a while first. People who do this will end up selling within 5 years because they find an area that suits them better

2. look at a place closer to work. You won't get the community feeling you're looking for in the GTA, the homes are typically big but it's all suburbia, with all that isolation and car culture. You won't be walking around much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto