Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:08 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times

Advertisements

For just one weekend, I think you'll find plenty of things to do. If, like me, you find walking around in ethnic neighborhoods interesting, then definitely check out Chinatown and little India on Gerard Street. Checkout some of the fruit vendors while you're there and try a few tropical fruits you haven't tried before. Downtown Toronto is also worth visiting, particularly along the waterfront. Just be careful after dark since some areas can be dodgy, which is normal for urban setting.

I think CN Tower is overrated, but if you like going up in a tower to get a bird's eye view of the city of Toronto, then by all means. They offer discount if you buy the ticket online. Just make sure the weather is clear when you plan to do that, otherwise you won't be able to see much.

I was going to offer suggestions for the wineries around Niagara Falls but noticed that you'll be visiting in March or April. Not sure if there are many activities going on then since I usually go to Toronto around summer. That's when the city is jam packed with street festivals pretty much all summer long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 01:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It takes 15 minutes to see, and probably 10% of its collection is interesting.
Let me guess. You did the Louvre in under an hour.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:00 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Let me guess. You did the Louvre in under an hour.
you think the Shoe museum has 25% of the Louvre?

Come on, the Bata Shoe Museum is pretty small and boring. The Gardiner Museum is much more interesting.

And Shoe Museum charges $14, compared with the Louvre (12 Euro). I know it is money grabbing Canada after all, but with less than 5% of the stuff, seriously? $4 is more appropriate.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Come on, the Bata Shoe Museum is pretty small and boring. The Gardiner Museum is much more interesting.

And Shoe Museum charges $14, compared with the Louvre (12 Euro). I know it is money grabbing Canada after all, but with less than 5% of the stuff, seriously? $4 is more appropriate.
Obviously, sarcasm is not your strong point.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Having been to the Louvre numerous times and the Bata shoe museum OF COURSE I know the size of each.

The question was about what can you do in Toronto that is not in NYC…Bata Shoe Museum fits the bill.
Quibbling over size and prices is silly, especially since the Louvre is owned and run by the country of France and the Bata Shoe Museum, as far as I know, is privately owned and is obviously set it's entry fee to what the marketplace will bear, which after all Botticelli is your mantra about free enterprise that we hear over and over. So your complaint about the entry fee of the Bata is a non-starter.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:36 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
^ all I am saying is the shoe museum is totally not worth the price tag, that's all - state run or privately owned, doesn't matter. for a tourist, there are so many far superior museums in the world that it simply sounds a waste of money to throw $14 into the mediocre little shoe museum.
Same goes for ROM and AGO. Over priced and not have much content.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
^ all I am saying is the shoe museum is totally not worth the price tag, that's all - state run or privately owned, doesn't matter. for a tourist, there are so many far superior museums in the world that it simply sounds a waste of money to throw $14 into the mediocre little shoe museum.
Same goes for ROM and AGO. Over priced and not have much content.
You are missing the point of the question. It's not about museums, but what to do in TO. The Bata Shoe museum is something unique to visit.
It's late, have a nice sleep.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:36 PM

757 posts, read 1,024,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Bata shoe museum is kind of cool.
Yeah, I think it is unique to TO. Good choice if one is into history of shoe making and for someone who hasn't been there like OP.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:00 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Prestigious - i hope i can offer some ideas. immediately im thinking they might be nothing novel for you, coming from NYC, but who knows.

the hockey hall of fame might be worth a visit. its been a while since i have been anything more than a lukewarm hockey fan, but i had been there once and would definitely visit again.

Nathan Phillips Square - my favorite building (complex) in the world. its weird, but worthy of a walk through to take it in.

if i remember correctly (and im too pressed for time at this moment), the Hockey Hall of Fame is in the vicinity of some modern buildings on Bay Street with beautiful atriums on Bay Street. (i think access to the Hall is THROUGH one of these buildings...its been a while). so if you are a fan of public spaces, this might be pleasant to walk through.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:44 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
To the OP

The Royal Ontario Museum and Art Gallery of Ontario have pretty extensive and impressive exhibits and are worth taking a look at (Museums/Galleries) if that is your thing - if just one of the two - go with the ROM... I'd take a stroll south along Yonge Street and then Queen Street west and check out Chinatown and Kensington Market if you want to shop for some interesting and unique items and see two of the major streets in Toronto. Toronto is a very walkable and pleasant city to stroll and get lost in... neat nabe's if you just want to take in the sights. There's also a new aquarium and of course the CN Tower (Beside the Roger's Centre).. St Lawrence Market and The Distillery District are cool to check as well.. Even though Toronto is walkable - its still a large and pretty densely populated DT core - particularly compared to most U.S cities so you can't see everything in 2 days! Don't listen to the naysayers in here who are obviously bent on smashing the city and comparing it to everything on earth... Toronto has plenty of things to see and do and you will most likely enjoy it as there's something for everyone. If you haven't been to it before and depending on how varied your interests it can keep you busy for a long time! You'll have to pick and choose based on your interests with such a short period of time unfortunately!

Last edited by fusion2; 12-31-2013 at 08:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto