Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 12:32 PM

126 posts, read 555,424 times

Advertisements

This is what I'm getting from some posts:

"You may be a fine and upstanding citizen, but we, the members of the white and other non-black communities, just cannot treat you as an equal. We just can't. So will continue to keep our distance from you. For this reason we suggest that you find a community which has more of your kind, move there and your life will get better."

Anyway, let me say that, unlike many blacks in the downtown west area, I have no problem associating with my own kind. But I love urban living, and will not let anti-black attitudes drive me from the downtown core -- even if there are few blacks here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 09:27 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,035,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser99 View Post
Wrong!!! I bet you there are more Whites or non blacks in Canadian prisons then there are Black. I can almost guarantee it. I don't care about percentage of population or whatever.

So if there are more Whites in Canadian prisons then Black, what's the "Stereotype" about Whites or non Blacks? Stereotyping is so stupid. Because what is does is this: It allows for Whites to do crimes and all the same stuff, but be seen as an "Individual" act instead of an act by an entire race.

If going by sheer numbers of who's in prison blah blah blah. My assumption going off that would be White's commit a lot of crime and also are the majority of Welfare or Public Assistance receipients.

This is why "Stereotyping" is false facts. You deal with each situation as it comes, "Stereotyping" is lazy and in the end it does society no good.
Sorry but not considering percentage of population is ABSOLUTELY STUPID AND DISHONEST. There are barely a million blacks TOTAL in the entire country. By sheer numbers there's obviously going to be more non-blacks in jail than blacks when you're outnumbered 34 to 1 in numbers.

That's why not caring about what percentage of each race/ethnicity is committing crime, murder or are in prison is totally twisting the facts to make blacks look less violent and criminal. Think about it. There's 1.5 million asians and 400,000 blacks living in Toronto/GTA. Hypothetically if both groups had 50,000 of its people involved in crime, don't you think the RATE of crime matters more than simply looking at the gross number? 50k asians involved in crime represents 3.3% of 1.5 million asian population while 50k blacks of 400k black population represents 12.5% of black population involved in crime.

That's a MASSIVE difference in crime rates and if you don't think this matters then you're completely out to lunch and don't give one damn about logic and common sense when talking about crime. I can agree that SOME stereotypes aren't valid or are wrong, but when it comes to blacks and crime, it is 100% COMPLETELY VAILD AND TRUE.

For example:

In Toronto blacks have had the highest murder rates both as the perpetrator of murder as well as being the murder victims for the past 20 years. They have also by far commit the most gun crime in the city as well. Therefore blacks as a whole are generally the most violent group living in the city.

These are all FACTS and if blacks become stereotyped and perceived as being violent, then that's their own fault for fostering that perception of them in the first place. You can't commit crime and murder for decades on end and still expect and even force people to think of you as not being violent and ghetto. It doesn't work that way.

The only way you can change perception for the long run is to CHANGE YOUR BEHAVIOR. Black males in Toronto can start doing that at anytime they wish, but many choose not to year after year after year. So if blacks can't change their behavior and become more peaceful and less violent, why do they expect people to think of them any differently than they currently do?

Old 01-11-2014, 09:29 PM

11,233 posts, read 16,344,141 times
^^^ Ah, the always refreshing, Mr. Max Sterling.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:06 AM

126 posts, read 555,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Sorry but not considering percentage of population is ABSOLUTELY STUPID AND DISHONEST. There are barely a million blacks TOTAL in the entire country. By sheer numbers there's obviously going to be more non-blacks in jail than blacks when you're outnumbered 34 to 1 in numbers.

That's why not caring about what percentage of each race/ethnicity is committing crime, murder or are in prison is totally twisting the facts to make blacks look less violent and criminal. Think about it. There's 1.5 million asians and 400,000 blacks living in Toronto/GTA. Hypothetically if both groups had 50,000 of its people involved in crime, don't you think the RATE of crime matters more than simply looking at the gross number? 50k asians involved in crime represents 3.3% of 1.5 million asian population while 50k blacks of 400k black population represents 12.5% of black population involved in crime.

That's a MASSIVE difference in crime rates and if you don't think this matters then you're completely out to lunch and don't give one damn about logic and common sense when talking about crime. I can agree that SOME stereotypes aren't valid or are wrong, but when it comes to blacks and crime, it is 100% COMPLETELY VAILD AND TRUE.

For example:

In Toronto blacks have had the highest murder rates both as the perpetrator of murder as well as being the murder victims for the past 20 years. They have also by far commit the most gun crime in the city as well. Therefore blacks as a whole are generally the most violent group living in the city.

These are all FACTS and if blacks become stereotyped and perceived as being violent, then that's their own fault for fostering that perception of them in the first place. You can't commit crime and murder for decades on end and still expect and even force people to think of you as not being violent and ghetto. It doesn't work that way.

The only way you can change perception for the long run is to CHANGE YOUR BEHAVIOR. Black males in Toronto can start doing that at anytime they wish, but many choose not to year after year after year. So if blacks can't change their behavior and become more peaceful and less violent, why do they expect people to think of them any differently than they currently do?
I've tried to ignore you, but I now feel compelled to respond.

Earlier you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
For example in Toronto everyone knows blacks cause the most crime here despite being only about 7% of population here.
Blacks do not cause the most crime here. You are assuming that crime = gun crimes, and that is not true. There are, I am sure, certain categories of crimes for which black people are underrepresented (certain so-called white-collar crimes probably are an example).

Now you write as if black over-representation in gun crimes develops in a vacuum -- as if socioeconomic forces have no effect. And that is obviously an oversimplified picture of crime rates and their causes: socioeconomic factors play a large (though probably not the only) role in crime rate disparities. And race plays a large role in black men's socioeconomic profile; if black men are discriminated against at much higher rates in the labor market, for example, that would have a depressing effect on their socioeconomic profile. That's just one example. There are numerous ways in which race can impact the socioeconomic profile of black men; low expectation on the part of teachers is another.

There are also probably other ways, independent of any impact on socioeconomic status, in which discrimination impacts group crime rates.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:23 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,133,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving on a Jet Plane View Post
Now you write as if black over-representation in gun crimes develops in a vacuum -- as if socioeconomic forces have no effect. And that is obviously an oversimplified picture of crime rates and their causes: socioeconomic factors play a large (though probably not the only) role in crime rate disparities. And race plays a large role in black men's socioeconomic profile; if black men are discriminated against at much higher rates in the labor market, for example, that would have a depressing effect on their socioeconomic profile. That's just one example. There are numerous ways in which race can impact the socioeconomic profile of black men; low expectation on the part of teachers is another.

There are also probably other ways, independent of any impact on socioeconomic status, in which discrimination impacts group crime rates.
You cannot use "socioeconomic forces" and so on as an excuse to commit a violent crime. High violent crime rates in the black community will only make things worse for the blacks.

Racism or not, a murder is not an answer. You always have a choice.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:11 AM

230 posts, read 533,285 times
OP - I don't know why people here are being such d**ks to you (one post is explicitly racist and should be reported) as a result of you stating the legitimate subjective experiences you've had. These are people who most likely aren't visible minorities and as a result haven't dealt with the kind of BS you have. Reading through these responses clearly shows just how much further Canada has to go in terms of race relations.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:38 AM

127 posts, read 318,022 times
I have found Toronto and its women to be very open to dating Black men, as said earlier a Black male with White female couple is common there. What I find is that the racism in Toronto is very harsh against East Asian and Indian men.

It doesn't matter if you look like a Bollywood actor or like Daniel Henney, the White women of Toronto will refuse to date you because of your race and ethnicity alone regardless of how cool and confident you are as a person. Women there will pre-judge you before you even open your mouth and there is nothing you can do to change it.

I used to teach a dating skills course and worked with other dating coaches, we had so many Asian and Indian men from the Toronto area come to our course. What surprised me was these guys were

1. Above average looking
2. Very Westernized
3. Came off as confident

They struggled with White women and could barely get with women of their own races who wanted White men. You may think you have it rough as a Black male in Toronto but being Asian or Indian is a death sentence in that city. If you are an Asian or Indian guy living there, get out as fast as you can.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:49 AM

4,795 posts, read 12,324,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving on a Jet Plane View Post
Translation: it's white people's fault that blacks have higher crime rates. Believe that if you want, but don't expect to give off a vibe of having a chip on your shoulder about whites, then expect most of them are going to want to associate with you. If you go expressing that kind of "i'm a victim" attitude to certain people you won't develop friendships, except for the ones who like wallowing in their own guilt.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:55 AM

127 posts, read 318,022 times
Though I can see why OP is feeling some of the pain of racism, I would say he can count his blessings that he isn't Asian or Indian. Being a male from either of those races in Toronto is a death sentence, people are openly racist towards you it seems.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:00 PM

230 posts, read 533,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attractively Ambigious View Post
Though I can see why OP is feeling some of the pain of racism, I would say he can count his blessings that he isn't Asian or Indian. Being a male from either of those races in Toronto is a death sentence, people are openly racist towards you it seems.
Disagree. Just like a myriad of other types of interpersonal conflict in this country, racism is of the subtle, underhanded variety (social exclusion, not offering help when clearly needed, etc.).

But then, who am I to comment when I am not a visible minority myself? That's why I actually try to see their point when they talk about their experiences rather than downplay it and say it's all them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto