Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:40 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
2014 and 2015 are going to be interesting years for Toronto.. The biggest years for sales of condo's was 2011/2012 meaning that people will start taking possession of all those condo's going up in the next two years.. I think the increase in ped traffic is going to be noticeable and the vibe is going to get crazier and crazier for the T.dot! I agree we shouldn't compare vibes but in terms of a busy and dynamic core outside of NYC in N.A - I think the future is for Toronto.
Not that I disagree that Toronto will improve dramatically over the next decade, but I think you are forgetting Mexico City, Guadalajara and to a lesser extent Panama City. I think Toronto has a long way to go before it can match the vibrancy of at least the first two mentioned. Mexican cities are all too forgotten when speaking about North America.

With that said I do love the trend that we are seeing around the US and Canada shifting back towards downtown living. It will make for a much more impressive collection of cities when it comes to vibrancy. Because now I am sure we can all agree as a continent we are severely behind much of the world. Outside of NYC and DF we have very few contenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 01:40 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Not that I disagree that Toronto will improve dramatically over the next decade, but I think you are forgetting Mexico City, Guadalajara and to a lesser extent Panama City. I think Toronto has a long way to go before it can match the vibrancy of at least the first two mentioned. Mexican cities are all too forgotten when speaking about North America.

With that said I do love the trend that we are seeing around the US and Canada shifting back towards downtown living. It will make for a much more impressive collection of cities when it comes to vibrancy. Because now I am sure we can all agree as a continent we are severely behind much of the world. Outside of NYC and DF we have very few contenders.
LOL.
9 times of 10 when Canadians talk about North America, the only want to include the US. People simply talk as of Mexico being 3X the size is completely irrelevant. Yeah, Mexico is not rich, but cities don't have to be highly rich to attain vibrancy.

In typical Canadian's mind, North America = Canada + America.
In typical Canadian's mind, World = Canada + America + west Europe + a few countries they may like.

Last edited by botticelli; 02-05-2014 at 02:21 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
2014 and 2015 are going to be interesting years for Toronto.. The biggest years for sales of condo's was 2011/2012 meaning that people will start taking possession of all those condo's going up in the next two years.. I think the increase in ped traffic is going to be noticeable and the vibe is going to get crazier and crazier for the T.dot! I agree we shouldn't compare vibes but in terms of a busy and dynamic core outside of NYC in N.A - I think the future is for Toronto.
True.
And my observation is that tons of new projects are slated to be completed in 2016/2017/2018.

I bet in 4 years, downtown Toronto will be quite different from today, and I am really looking forward to that.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:42 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

Oh totally agree... I haven't been to Mex City or Guadalajara but I have no doubt you are correct! Havana kicks Toronto's butt when it comes to vibrancy too I was keeping N.A in the U.S/Canada context - even in the U.S section of c v c the only 'foreign' country that has cities pitted against the U.S are Canadian one's I think because there are just soooo many similarities in culture and values - I guess we are more of a happy family than we realize lol...

Why I'm excited about Toronto specifically is the huge amount of recent development going on and the lion's share of that development will be realized over the next two years as people take possession of those projects so there is going to be a noticeable difference imo... We aren't going to have that latin vibe of course, but just in terms of overall pedestrian vibrancy and 'busy' feeling in the core.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-05-2014 at 02:51 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
True.
And my observation is that tons of new projects are slated to be completed in 2016/2017/2018.

I bet in 4 years, downtown Toronto will be quite different from today, and I am really looking forward to that.
Yeah i'm just counting 2014 and 2015 because of the sales records that occurred in 2011/2012 and those projects are slated for completion over the next two years... beyond that its not just going to stop... it has slowed but sales are still impressive by any measure and so are the number of proposals... I think this may be a trend that just isn't going to stop - its like a black hole really and its exciting.... the Toronto of 5 years from now is going to be different than the T.O of today and I think finally the city will start to realize the global respect it deserves as being a thriving metropolis because it is growing and changing so rapidly. The sleepy days of the past are over and we need to accept that and move to the next level in all areas ie infrastructure, transit, tourism etc.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:00 PM

73 posts, read 137,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
If you are looking for an "NYC vibe", move to NYC. If you are looking for a "Toronto vibe", move to Toronto.
Well thats what my ULTIMATE goal would be but citizenship and immigration is making that kind of difficult.

-No family in the US
-I don't know an american to marry.
-I don't have $500,000 to take the investors route
-General labour not accepted for the job route. Thats for highy skilled in demand positions. I'm general.
-NYC itself is too expensive

Been trying to find loopholes to immigration but not having any luck and besides I don't want to take loopholes anyways. I want legal US citizenship but just don't think I qualify. Hell if I could get US citizenship I would live in the BRONX just to be a Subway ride away. But nope. Citizenship kind of built a fence with razor wire.

Which is why I need to find the best place in Canada that would be closest to NY in both vibe/feel and Greyhound travel time. Niagara to NYC is 8 hours as it is and I think about as CLOSE as you can get to NYC from Canada is Niagara as well.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:02 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,443 times
Botticelli, have you ever walked away from the busy avenues in Manhattan and explored the primarily residential East/West streets North of Midtown? You'll find they can be every bit as tranquil as some of the residential streets in downtown Toronto.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheGoodNames.AreTaken View Post
Well thats what my ULTIMATE goal would be but citizenship and immigration is making that kind of difficult.

-No family in the US
-I don't know an american to marry.
-I don't have $500,000 to take the investors route
-General labour not accepted for the job route. Thats for highy skilled in demand positions. I'm general.
-NYC itself is too expensive

Been trying to find loopholes to immigration but not having any luck and besides I don't want to take loopholes anyways. I want legal US citizenship but just don't think I qualify. Hell if I could get US citizenship I would live in the BRONX just to be a Subway ride away. But nope. Citizenship kind of built a fence with razor wire.

Which is why I need to find the best place in Canada that would be closest to NY in both vibe/feel and Greyhound travel time. Niagara to NYC is 8 hours as it is and I think about as CLOSE as you can get to NYC from Canada is Niagara as well.
Well than the biggest cities are your best bet - Toronto or Montreal... Each has its own flavour but in terms of urban big city feeling places than one or the other is the best you are going to get in Canada.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:21 PM

73 posts, read 137,690 times
I'll look into TO then. Its not like I go to NYC WEEKLY and its only an hour or 2 extra.

One other thing I was wondering about Toronto is it was said earlier:

"In Toronto, 90% of our population are back to their suburban homes watching TV by 7. Many are afraid of missing their 6:15pm Go train back to whatever suburbs they are from on a daily basis."

Could someone explain a little as to why this would be unless this is just Winter statement? Does this apply for summer as well?

Old 02-05-2014, 03:26 PM

Condos to be finished in 2014-2018 (only between Sherboune and Spadina)

2014: Aura, L tower, U, X2, Theatre Park, Five, RCMI, Ivory, Posthouse, Nicolas, Pinacle Adelaide, Peter, Tablaeu, B street, Berczy, fashin house
2015: One Bloor, Ice, Karma, PACE, 60 Colboune, Waterlink, 1000 Bay, Casa II, Chaz, Bond, Backstage, Carnary,
2016: One York, 88 Scott, 21 Ave Road, YC condo, Massey, Piccaso,Monde
2017: 16 York, 45 Bay, Core Condo,
2018: Yonge/Rich, Dundas Sq Garden

Tens of thousands of people will be moving downtown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto