Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 10:06 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
I've never owned a car before and want too. I want a car that is somewhat decent(maybe 2005 on)for cheap..and also, how much should I expect to have to pay per year for insurance/repairs, etc?
With respect to insurance rates - if cost is an issue as it presumably is since you're looking for an older car, I remember way back when I started driving I went on my Dad's insurance as a secondary driver to establish a driving record.. Not sure how it works these days or what your age/family consideration is but something to look into potentially and ask questions about.

Worth a read below..

http://www.melochemonnex.com/en/car-...Auto_Insurance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 03:26 AM

4 posts, read 2,572 times
I have rented a car here https://iversta.com/ and cars are good, nice service. Maybe not the cheapest but good enough

Old 12-23-2016, 02:28 PM

281 posts, read 327,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Reminds me of the Plymouth Sundance.

I had to borrow my Dad's Sundance once. What a horrible car. It's only saving grace was that it's AC always blew cold and it was a nice light metallic blue..

Old 12-23-2016, 04:22 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
I've never owned a car before and want too. I want a car that is somewhat decent(maybe 2005 on)for cheap..and also, how much should I expect to have to pay per year for insurance/repairs, etc?

What do you consider cheap is the first question. Also what are your mechanically skills like. For example by husband buys used cars all the time on kijiji and similar sights. You can get something that needs some work for a few hundred dollars ( not kidding), but when you buy used you need to know how to fix stuff. My husband worked as an assitant to a mechanic as a teenager so he is willing to try to fix things on his own by getting scrap parts etc. He comes from a developing country in a smaller city where people actually fix things rather then just buying a new one like here. He will also look on youtube for ideas on how to trouble shoot problems so he does not usually have to go to a mechanic to fix much. Buying a used car from a person rather then a dealership works for him due to his skill set. You also need to have good negotiation skills to get a great price.

I think your skill set really dictates the options you have to buy a car. Also in the resale world cash is king. If you want to get a great price you best option if buying used from another person (not a business) in order to get this option you must be able to pay in cash. My husband has bought cars for as low as $200 all paid in cash and all way below the insurance replacement cost of the car.

Ex my Mercedes cost me 1/3 of the insurance replacement value of the car.

If you can pay cash and know a bit about cars or have a freind that is willing to work on yours for free/or at a cheaper rate .... buying person to person resale is the best way to get a great deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto