Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 04:42 PM

398 posts, read 381,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I just clued in to this. The fact that people are suggesting the only way to have fun is to be allowed to drinking/buy alcohol for a longer period of time is absolute BS. I would argue if anything all it is an excellent way to make more money off of people that lack enough character to be interesting without drinking alcohol. Even if I could drink somewhere ex nightclubs/bars 24/7 I wouldn't. It would not affect the amount of fun I had because I actually have enough character to have fun or something worth saying without being chemically modified . If the only way for someone to loosen up is to have a drink they got bigger issues then having the opportunity to drink in a bar/night club past 2 am ! They would be better off saving that money to invest in paying a therapist !
As someone who doesn't drink alcohol, I've always looked at people drinking alcohol as the sole purpose of nightlife to be sad.

To me, nightlife is to socialize and meet people you find attractive (assuming you're single).

Going to a bar and not flirting with women (or flirting with men if you're a woman or a gay guy) would be every bit as insane as going to a restaurant and not ordering any food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 05:26 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
As someone who doesn't drink alcohol, I've always looked at people drinking alcohol as the sole purpose of nightlife to be sad.

To me, nightlife is to socialize and meet people you find attractive (assuming you're single).

Going to a bar and not flirting with women (or flirting with men if you're a woman or a gay guy) would be every bit as insane as going to a restaurant and not ordering any food.
You can do all that without drinking alcohol?
Drunks/ intoxicated people can be funny until it just gets dangerous.
I can not count the number of flights, the amount vomit I have cleaned up, the amount of hair I have held back while freinds/boy freinds were puking over toilets seats and the amount of potential drunk drivers I have had to stop over the years. So I don't see the fun in it anymore. It is just a totally pain in butt and annoying when people take this too far and there is ALWAYS people that take it too far and cause drama for everyone else. I have never needed to be drunk to flirt or talk to people ... some times it is as simple as too many carbs lol! They don't stop serving anything else after that time ... so I am not sure what the big deal it. There are places for drinking and eating open 24/7 in the city so I can never get what the big deal is.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
You can do all that without drinking alcohol?
Drunks/ intoxicated people can be funny until it just gets dangerous.
I can not count the number of flights, the amount vomit I have cleaned up, the amount of hair I have held back while freinds/boy freinds were puking over toilets seats and the amount of potential drunk drivers I have had to stop over the years. So I don't see the fun in it anymore. It is just a totally pain in butt and annoying when people take this too far and there is ALWAYS people that take it too far and cause drama for everyone else. I have never needed to be drunk to flirt or talk to people ... some times it is as simple as too many carbs lol! They don't stop serving anything else after that time ... so I am not sure what the big deal it. There are places for drinking and eating open 24/7 in the city so I can never get what the big deal is.
I do, haha. I've become desensitized to rejection. At first, approaching girls would make me nearly dump my pants. But it becomes natural after tons of successes and defeats.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:14 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
I do, haha. I've become desensitized to rejection. At first, approaching girls would make me nearly dump my pants. But it becomes natural after tons of successes and defeats.
If you clicked with everyone then there would be no fun or excitement in the pursuit !

Old 09-18-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
If you clicked with everyone then there would be no fun or excitement in the pursuit !
Exactly! You've gotta crack a few eggs if you want to make an omelette.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:09 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
The 2am closing time issue is as much about economics as it is about people getting fu*ked up at night. The reason Toronto has so few great late night options is because these places make money off the bar, not food, nor entertainment. Without an extended liquor license there is no real incentive to stay open later.

So even if you have no plans to drink, allowing these places to sell liquor allows you to eat later, listen to live music later, watch later shows, etc. plus if someone wants to have a drink after 2 who gives a flying s*it? It is this type of nanny attitude that holds places like Toronto back from reaching their full potential.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:57 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
The 2am closing time issue is as much about economics as it is about people getting fu*ked up at night. The reason Toronto has so few great late night options is because these places make money off the bar, not food, nor entertainment. Without an extended liquor license there is no real incentive to stay open later.

So even if you have no plans to drink, allowing these places to sell liquor allows you to eat later, listen to live music later, watch later shows, etc. plus if someone wants to have a drink after 2 who gives a flying s*it? It is this type of nanny attitude that holds places like Toronto back from reaching their full potential.
I think this is quite true.

The last call for drinks basically acts as a de facto expiration time on everything else. With only some exceptions.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Well said, playa.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:09 AM

Default ......

Quote:

Sorry that is not exactly true.
Most beverages have a high markup value and their sales can be extremely profitable even more so then the sale of alcohol. However, people are obviously conditioned to think and buy certain items because it is the "thing to do" and companies have spent hundreds and hundreds of years marketing the idea that alcohol equals fun.

And thanks for reminding about the "nanny attitude". The next time I see someone drunk on their ass anywhere I will be more then glad to pass them straight without a care in the world because it is not my problem. That is likely what I should have always done. I am actually in different to changing the time personally because an annoying drunk is going to be an annoying drunk regardless of the time of day and at the end of the day technically I do work in an industry that profits from other people's demise .

I knew someone who worked in very top positions in that area of marketing with marjor companies. We were talking about some of the ethical issues with doing this type of work. One thing that arose it that you basically get paid lots of money to con people in to thinking/ believing and hopefully doing things that are not really beneficially to them, but when doing so well you help make your employer lots of money. I guess my background in marketing has made me very analytical of what and why me or other people do things.

Before I get any more cheap shots thrown at me regarding my brand preferences I should explain that in terms of my choices the difference between certain brands of clothes, jewelry, bags etc is style and quality. So wanting them more then something of lower quality and less style has reason behind it. The difference between feeling the need to drink an alcoholic beverage versus a glass of juice..... is corporate brain washing at it's best. If you breakdown what you are getting out of the purchase you would see behind all the smoke and mirrors.

Again... not trying to be anyone's nanny just trying to provoke analytical thinking.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:16 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
We can of course debate the ethics behind marketing in the alcohol industry or the merits behind whether drinking really equals "fun". I think you and I would probably agree that it is all bs and people have bought it hook line and sinker.

The issue is that until your campaign to recondition peoples minds in regards to fun is successful, most people will always equate drinking with fun. Especially at night. So those late night juice bars that play music most likely wont be popping up anytime soon and nightlife venues will still pay whatever it costs to secure a liquor license because that is the only way they will remain profitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto