Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 08:26 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times

Advertisements

I can't understand why some one moving to a job on Toronto, won't consider living IN Toronto ?

I live at Dufferin and St Clair, and although I am now retired, if I had a job at St Clair and Yonge, I could be there in 20 minutes, by TTC street car. No need to drive or ride a commuter train. Homes in my area are priced at 400, to 500,000.

I guess I just don't see the advantage to living 40 miles away from the job site.

Jim B.

Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 03:37 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,814 times
I'm with you. It amazes me how some people think.....

Old 06-15-2014, 08:27 PM

564 posts, read 1,040,354 times
A lot of it might have to do with the "cities bad, suburbs good" mantra that's been drilled into mine and older generations. The city was never viewed as a decent safe place to raise a family.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:45 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
North York ED:

Not safe ? I guess those multi million dollar homes in Rosedale, Forest Hill, and The Bridal Path are considered to be in peril.

Seriously, there ARE places in Toronto, such as Regent Park, The Jungle at Lawrence and The Allen, and good old Jane Finch, that are more dangerous than others.

The safest part of Toronto is 22 Division, which is in the center of Etobicoke, per crime rate reports. But even in that division there are pockets of problems, such as the Public housing townhouses, at The East Mall and Rathburn road, and the Toronto Housing apartment towers on Willowridge, near Eglinton and Martin Grove.

Notice a trend here ? All of the problem places are public housing locations.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:30 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,229 times
@ CC - I think NOrthyork Ed meant in general how it's viewed. Growing up in Markham, yes I really did think the city was dangerous, I did. I was wrong and ignorant, but still thought that.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:48 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
North York ED: Not safe ? I guess those multi million dollar homes in Rosedale, Forest Hill, and The Bridal Path are considered to be in peril. ...
No, I'm not saying they are bad or unsafe, just that traditionally that has been a generally held view. For example, look at sitcoms of the 70s and 80s. Almost all of the popular "warm and fuzzy" family shows were set in the burbs, while "city" shows were often gritty cop dramas or crime-based shows. Starting in the 90s, that trend shifted, with the likes of "Seinfeld", "Friends", "Sex & the City", etc. But for many, there is just an automatic default to "must not live in the city".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoNotMe View Post
@ CC - I think NOrthyork Ed meant in general how it's viewed. Growing up in Markham, yes I really did think the city was dangerous, I did. I was wrong and ignorant, but still thought that.
Yes. Exactly. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:06 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,010 times
Well I agree with all this discussion about living in the city. I live in the city, and raised a family here. But the OP doesn't seem to want that. Of course, that could be some kind of bias based on cities that aren't safe.

There are plenty of lovely neighbourhoods in Toronto that are a lot closer than Burlington. But if the OP wants a new house, they are pretty well out of luck. And a budget of $800K won't get them very far in the city either.

Some nice neighbourhoods: High Park, Bloorwest Village, Danforth, Upper Beach, Willowdale, Little Italy, it goes on and on. But housing is expensive in all those places. If I had to look further, I'd be looking at the near suburbs, like Etobicoke, East York or even Scarborough.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:09 AM

7 posts, read 13,692 times
I guess the only way to know for sure is to come up and try out the route! Thanks, everyone

Old 06-19-2014, 09:09 AM

5 posts, read 19,807 times
I am considering this myself. I've always lived on the west side of the GTA - starting off in far off Burlington/Aldershot and now living on the east side of Oakville. Maybe I'm biased but I've always considered this the better side of the GTA but now I am about to accept a job opportunity that may require a move at some point to the east of the city which is really starting to concern me. I live 10 minutes away from my current employer in Mississauga, so I've been spoiled with an awesome commute. The new job will technically be based out of downtown Toronto but I don't think I will actually be in the office all that much, at least in the foreseeable future, as I will be working on a project that will initially require me to either be in Oakville/west GTA for 3 days of the week and for the remaining 2 days cross town and country to get Darlington. Eventually, if I continue working on this particular project, I envision that I will have to spend more and more time in Darlington. Right now I am not moving but I'm recently married and want to settle down and have kids, so I have to think about where I can do that given my employment. So where in the GTA could that be? It's so hard to cross town that I'm thinking about buying 2 beater cars and keeping one at the Oshawa GO and the other one at the Oakville or Clarkson GO and using the GO train to get across town when I have to as a temporary solution. So any other ideas or suggestions for me would be welcome? If I were to move East or somewhere Central, what places would be most similar in quality of neighborhoods and schools to Burlington/Oakville?

Old 06-20-2014, 03:16 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
North York ED:

Not safe ? I guess those multi million dollar homes in Rosedale, Forest Hill, and The Bridal Path are considered to be in peril.

Seriously, there ARE places in Toronto, such as Regent Park, The Jungle at Lawrence and The Allen, and good old Jane Finch, that are more dangerous than others.

The safest part of Toronto is 22 Division, which is in the center of Etobicoke, per crime rate reports. But even in that division there are pockets of problems, such as the Public housing townhouses, at The East Mall and Rathburn road, and the Toronto Housing apartment towers on Willowridge, near Eglinton and Martin Grove.

Notice a trend here ? All of the problem places are public housing locations.

Jim B.

Toronto.
In all honesty I grew up in Jane and Finch and I had no problems there In terms of safety. As a teenager id even walk at night from the Jane/Finch mall to my apt bldg at Jane and Yorkwoods numerous times and never ever felt my safety was at risk... Now if you look for trouble you will surely find it but you do need to look for it. Toronto as a whole is remarkeably safe and those who feel otherwise are completely misinformed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto