Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 04:16 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,750,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Well, there is at least one small shining light to the current situation, which is the soon to be opened UP Express. The thing is, I really don't understand the concept of the Union-Pearson Express. Typically, one would think that it would be fully integrated into the existing transit network (GO Train or TTC) but for some perverted reason the UP operator just clarified that it would be targeted at "business executive travelers" with one way price in the $30 range. So instead of building or extending the existing transit network to the airport, those fools built a brand new line just for a select few. At the very least, they could have learned from Vancouver's totally awesome Canada Line, which is very nicely incorporated into Vancouver's Skytrain network. Sigh...
I didn't even want to mention UP express because what you said right there just captures EXACTLY how I feel about the situation and makes me wanna blow three gaskets!! You catch on quickly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 09:40 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,155,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I didn't even want to mention UP express because what you said right there just captures EXACTLY how I feel about the situation and makes me wanna blow three gaskets!! You catch on quickly
And since the project is already nearing completion with at least half a billion $$$ dumped on it, I guess the only way they could make it more appealing is 1) cut the fare to the $15 range 2) add more stations along the way 3) Maybe have a discount fare for riders who use Presto/Go Train.

And at the very least give discount fare options to airport employees who need to commute there everyday. You'd think that when a city builds a new transit system it would be "mass transit" instead of "transit for a select few with lots of money".

What a waste...

Old 08-24-2014, 09:47 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,750,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
And since the project is already nearing completion with at least half a billion $$$ dumped on it, I guess the only way they could make it more appealing is 1) cut the fare to the $15 range 2) add more stations along the way 3) Maybe have a discount fare for riders who use Presto/Go Train.

And at the very least give discount fare options to airport employees who need to commute there everyday. You'd think that when a city builds a new transit system it would be "mass transit" instead of "transit for a select few with lots of money".

What a waste...
I think there will be an option for airport emplyees to have a discounted fare but most airport employees are front line staff making between 12 and 16 bucks an hour so even with discounts they'll still resort to regular bus transit to get to/fro work.

Im def curious to see how successful UP will be but yeah looks like a lost opportunity.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:55 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,261,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Heck even NYC has gone outside its circle for their past 2 mayors. De Blasio being from Cambridge, MA & Bloomberg being from Boston. Even the country's greatest city isnt above reaching in from the outside for guidance.
Bloomberg and DeBlasio are New Yorkers, not outsiders. They were born somewhere else (like probably most New Yorkers) but they lived in the city most of their lives.

Ed Koch was the last NYC mayor actually "from" NYC. Dinkins and Giuliani were not native New Yorkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto