Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 11:23 AM

15,106 posts, read 15,725,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
meh.
Meh more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 11:32 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,151,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Meh more

Old 08-30-2014, 11:32 AM

^^

You cannot be a proud Torontonian and not like the emerging and dense, ever taller skyline of the city... The sooner you drink the T.O's skyline is quickly becoming the number 2 skyline in N.A kool aid, the better your life will be here - just a slice of advice

Old 08-30-2014, 11:36 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,151,991 times
Quote:
^^

You cannot be a proud Torontonian and not like the emerging and dense, ever taller skyline of the city... The sooner you drink the T.O's skyline is quickly becoming the number 2 skyline in N.A kool aid, the better your life will be here - just a slice of advice

Old 08-30-2014, 11:48 AM

^^

Well then son, you'll leave us no choice but to send you here until you come around

Centre for Addiction and Mental Health - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We send Botticelli there once in awhile with mixed success - lets see how you respond ha.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:08 PM

31 posts, read 46,052 times
Very impressive numbers. I'm happy to see downtown Toronto "Manhattanizing". One of the things that I enjoy is coming in to the downtown core on my day off and admiring all the construction. I would live downtown or near downtown if my employment was there.

I would like to see some more growth/development outside the core though. Particularly around North York CC, Scarborough CC and the Etobicoke lakeshore. It would be nice if these areas be more akin to the outer boroughs of New York city. Maybe North York should start "Brooklynizing".

Old 08-31-2014, 08:44 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,247,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspective71 View Post
Very impressive numbers. I'm happy to see downtown Toronto "Manhattanizing".
Toronto can build condos from downtown to Hamilton, it will never remotely resemble Manhattan. If anything, all the new construction makes Toronto look like a North American Singapore or Abu Dhabi more than anything in the U.S.

Manhattan, BTW, has a relatively low concentration of Toronto-style glassy condo boxes. It's really a prewar city, and most the NYC new construction condos look nothing like Toronto-style condos.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:45 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,247,648 times
Quote:
^^

Toronto is maybe #3 in North America, but will not be #2 in our lifetimes. Chicago destroys Toronto, and I'm just talking skyscraper numbers. If we're talking skyscraper quality, Toronto kind of sucks.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:55 PM

31 posts, read 46,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Toronto can build condos from downtown to Hamilton, it will never remotely resemble Manhattan. If anything, all the new construction makes Toronto look like a North American Singapore or Abu Dhabi more than anything in the U.S.

Manhattan, BTW, has a relatively low concentration of Toronto-style glassy condo boxes. It's really a prewar city, and most the NYC new construction condos look nothing like Toronto-style condos.
Correct, though the term was more in reference to tall buildings as opposed to the architectural style of the buildings themselves. Miami has been building tall glass condo towers and has also been described as "Manhattanizing". I guess we should start using the terms "Singaporing" or "Abu Dhabing" then.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Toronto is maybe #3 in North America, but will not be #2 in our lifetimes. Chicago destroys Toronto, and I'm just talking skyscraper numbers. If we're talking skyscraper quality, Toronto kind of sucks.
You do realize Toronto has been building tons more scrapers and highrises than Chicago all over the city and especially in the core and has been for over a decade. This trend isn't changing anytime soon.. I think in terms of overall density and even height that T.O has a decent shot of overtaking Chicago within a decade - certainly sooner than our lifetimes lol... If you want to be subjective than yes, I agree the architecture is on another level in Chicago but the boom was at a different time. In terms of overall density and ultimately height, I think Chicago's reign as number 2 is numbered a lot sooner than you think.

I recently commented in another thread when I saw pics of Chicago's core that more and more it impresses me less vs Toronto's...Its still a slightly denser and is a taller skyline but Toronto is surging. Anyway, saying that Toronto would ever overtake Chicago even a decade ago was absolutely unthinkable ... Now not so much and looking at not just what is U/C but what is proposed in both cities and based on the title of this tread - the T.O skyline Is going to be on steroid development for at least another 5-7 years.. When it comes to dev... Chicago is in a rut comparatively speaking and a big one! You can get all sentimental, maintain your architectural preferences and be enamoured endlessly regarding Chicago's scraper legacy all you want but in terms of numbers and trends it ain't looking good for the Windy city vs Hogtown.

Toronto in 2014:

Toronto • City - Canada - Page 212 - SkyscraperCity

Last edited by fusion2; 08-31-2014 at 09:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto