Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 08:58 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,630,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, it doesn't. Chicago has higher incomes, more people, and more wealth. It's a richer city by any measure..
You can't make blank statements like this.

Chicago (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Median total income, by family type, by census metropolitan area (All census families)

This shows during 2008-2012, Chicago's median household income is $47,408. In 2012, Toronto's median family income is C$71,210. Family income is different from household, the former is higher I know, but I also found this "The median income for a household in the city was $38,625 in 2000, and the median income for a family was $46,748". Applying a similar percentage ratio (about 120%), Chicago's median family income is roughly $57,378.

Even using today's exchange rate after plummet of CAD, C$71,210 still translates into $64,089, higher than Chicago's income

Quote:
No, it doesn't. Chicago has far more millionaires than Toronto, and it isn't even close. Chicago has more millionaires than all but a half-dozen cities on earth. The U.S., in general, has a much higher proportion of millionaires than Canada, and Chicago is much bigger than Toronto..
I don't know why you keep saying Chicago is much larger than Toronto when it has been proved many times that city wise Toronto is larger, and metro-wise on an apple to apple basis (not Chicagoland vs GTA), it is about 9.7 million vs. 8.8-9 million, or Chicago being 10% most populous. But "much bigger"?

In terms of millions, Toronto ranks 15th on a per citizen basis. I don't see Chicago there
Toronto ranked 15th on global list of millionaires - Business - CBC News

But it is irrelevant. You probably could find rankings where Chicago has more millionaires. How many millions are not that important, unless you are one of them of course.

Quote:
No, it isn't. Toronto's crime rate is not an outlier, and nor is Chicago's crime rate an outlier.
I am not saying Toronto's low crime rate is an outliner. Actually I repeated many times most rich countries cities other than the US have low crime rates. But it is undeniable that Chicago's high rate IS indeed an outliner. Name 5 cities where murder rate is higher than Chicago outside the US among developed countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 09:09 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,185,944 times
I read in Conde Nast Traveler that Toronto doesn't get the love from Canadians because it is the most "American" of Canadian locations.
Also in the article Canadians get tired of Americans saying to them: "Oh, you're from Canada? We just LOVE Toronto!"
(Tim Hortons/Rush/Skydome/CN Tower etc etc etc)

Old 10-30-2014, 10:02 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,150,623 times
NOLA is such a troll. He just couldn't stand the fact that there is actually a pretty sizable city like Toronto, located in Canada, that can potentially rival some of its U.S. peers. Get over it dude. I'm from Boston and when I first moved here even I was a little surprised with the amount of construction and changes happening - something that you don't often see nowadays even in vibrant NE cities like Boston. I can see Toronto easily eclipsing some of the traditional NE cities like Boston, Philly, and DC (if not already) and possibly rival Chicago in the not so distant future. At the moment, I still think Chicago is overall a larger, more prosperous city with an awesome skyline than Toronto. Credit is where credit is due.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:48 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,421,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
NOLA is such a troll. He just couldn't stand the fact that there is actually a pretty sizable city like Toronto, located in Canada, that can potentially rival some of its U.S. peers. Get over it dude. I'm from Boston and when I first moved here even I was a little surprised with the amount of construction and changes happening - something that you don't often see nowadays even in vibrant NE cities like Boston. I can see Toronto easily eclipsing some of the traditional NE cities like Boston, Philly, and DC (if not already) and possibly rival Chicago in the not so distant future. At the moment, I still think Chicago is overall a larger, more prosperous city with an awesome skyline than Toronto. Credit is where credit is due.
Actually, it is not NOLA's fault. It is all of us (including me) who keep engaging in the same kind of discussion over nonsensical topics .... over and over again.

Any topic with Canada ABC vs USA XYZ is bound to become a multi-page thread within a day.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I agree with every point in this post of yours.
I think Toronto has passed DC and Philly. Boston is more of a niche wealthy city with some exquisite old money neighborhood which Toronto doesn't have, and the glamour of Harvard and MIT Toronto won't ever be able to match, but I am glad four univ/colleges in Toronto also contributed a lot to the city's young feel.

We are not as impressive as Chicago is in terms of architecture and the big city feel but Toronto is growing fast and will look a lot different in 10-20 years. The intersection at Dundas and Jarvis alone will have 3 40s+ tower on each corner except the NW (which will be developed some day). I am happy to be here and witness all the growth.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:18 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,150,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I agree with every point in this post of yours.
I think Toronto has passed DC and Philly. Boston is more of a niche wealthy city with some exquisite old money neighborhood which Toronto doesn't have, and the glamour of Harvard and MIT Toronto won't ever be able to match, but I am glad four univ/colleges in Toronto also contributed a lot to the city's young feel.

We are not as impressive as Chicago is in terms of architecture and the big city feel but Toronto is growing fast and will look a lot different in 10-20 years. The intersection at Dundas and Jarvis alone will have 3 40s+ tower on each corner except the NW (which will be developed some day). I am happy to be here and witness all the growth.
Coming from Boston, I often wonder what would the city be like without Harvard/MIT on the north side of Charles River... it'd probably be just another old NE city like Philly. Boston (Cambridge to be specific) is indeed very very fortunate to have these two schools all located within a few miles of one another.

Toronto is most definitely not in Chicago's league in terms of architecture, big city feel, and economic prosperity, yet. For obvious reasons, there's no way Toronto could replicate those classical and art-deco skyscrapers in Chicago and NYC - that era is long gone and nobody is foolish enough today to waste expensive building materials just to replicate the facade from a by-gone era. The Chicago structural style was very pioneering and "modern" at its time, the early 1900s. What Toronto could (and should) do is to carve out its own unique building style and architecture, and pioneer as a 21st century city.

In terms of condo building, I think what Toronto really needs are more low-level condos that encourage more street level activities, not isolated condo complexes (e.g. those in the Mimico area along Lakeshore West). I could already see more of this happening along certain parts of Queen and King, with many new low-level condos and much more vibrant street amenities. Just a personal observation.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
For obvious reasons, there's no way Toronto could replicate those classical and art-deco skyscrapers in Chicago and NYC - that era is long gone and nobody is foolish enough today to waste expensive building materials just to replicate the facade from a by-gone era.
yep, pretty much so. The old charm will never be replicated, unfortunately, and I agree architecturally, Toronto will never be able to match Chicago or New York in terms of the old cart-deco buildings people love so much.

The glass towers, even the high end, I don't think people in 200 years and look at them in awe (not that they are likely to survive for 200 years). Toronto will be a city known for skyscrapers, but I don't think it will be famous for breath-taking architecture any time.

But it is OK. What matter is to create a dynamic and interesting city on the street level. My hope is that more non-generic retail will expand in the downtown core. Currently retail is lacking IMO.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:24 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,420,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Atticman suggested that London and Toronto are alike, when anyone with either common sense or personal experience knows that they're not similar at all.
Please don't speak for everyone. I have spent significant time in Toronto, London, and Chicago, and I live in Minneapolis, and I have no trouble at all understanding any of those comparisons. My first time exploring Toronto, the thought that kept crossing my mind was "this is what London would look like if it were in North America." I don't see what's so hard to grasp about the idea that two cities can be comparable in some ways without being a perfect match. All anyone is trying to do is discuss the ways they ARE similar. Posting over and over that they're not the same is not helpful or relevant. Of course they're not the same, that does not mean they don't have any similarities worth talking about.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:26 PM

240 posts, read 238,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Chicago for many reasons, one of them being the layout of the city and it's location on a large body of agua.
I was thinking Chicago myself

Old 10-30-2014, 04:46 PM

9,980 posts, read 12,322,689 times
I think people are underestimating Toronto. Why can't Toronto rival Chicago? I haven't been to Toronto so maybe I'm not fully qualified but Toronto seems like a very nice bustling city.

Sure, Toronto CAN rival Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago and Washington DC.

The CN tower, the university building looks incredibe (from pics), the canyon type downtown streets (for someone from London its something to note!) and unlike many US cities Toronto inner city area don't look deserted (packed pavements, streetcars etc)

I mean C'mon the STREETCARS!!!

Toronto isn't on par with NYC, London, Paris on scale but don't underestimate Toronto.

Someone book my plane tickets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto