Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2015, 08:58 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,694,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Excellent points and true again. Places like Floral Park and Bellerose could easily be propped down in Toronto and not out of place.

Speaking of Archie Bunker, I believe the exterior shots were in Astoria. Another place that could easily compare to parts of Toronto.
Yeah, it's interesting how you get that "Queens" parallel in all sorts of different areas of early to mid-20th century Toronto: around Bloor and Ossington, the Danforth, Bathurst and Eglinton, Oakwood-Vaughan, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 09:02 PM

3,847 posts, read 5,247,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Given what you guys are saying, it almost seems like at its heart - Queens may make a better case than Chicago as being most comparable to Toronto..
I would agree. Especially if places like Long Island City keep building up the way they have been, then we wont need the Chicago comparison thrown in to account for CBD of Toronto. Obviously Queens has no need for a major Financial District, because there is this little place across the river that takes on that role.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:09 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,720,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I would agree. Especially if places like Long Island City keep building up the way they have been, then we wont need the Chicago comparison thrown in to account for CBD of Toronto. Obviously Queens has no need for a major Financial District, because there is this little place across the river that takes on that role.
Quintessentially, I think when you look at a city you need to identify what most defines it... Is it the CBD and immediate areas around it or is it the nabe's and the people in them.. Honesty, aside from Chicago and Toronto being on a great lake and having a large CBD - at their heart and even general residential/nabe built form the similarities may not be that strong. I'm really feeling the Queens thing more to be honest. Take into account, i'm going by what you guys are saying and general google images.. Would Kensington Market, College St, Cabbagetown and Queen St West fit more inside Chicago or Queens NY for example. It sounds like the Bay and Gable would definately fit in Queens more than Chicago - now of course Chicago has some brilliant Victorian architecture imo...

Old 03-13-2015, 09:10 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,151,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
YOU CONTINUED IT AGAIN TO ME. OR WE WERE DONE. AGAIN STIRRED THE POT. THIS ENDS IT T to do both our post in that similar thread???...BUT IT DID INTRODUCE THE OTHER THREAD here to others? WITH A SIMILAR NAME. NOW I HAVE NO MORE TO SAY. THE PICTURES WERE MY ANSWER THEN AND THE CONTINUE OF IT HERE? CAUSE I MENTIONED IT WITH ANOTHER POST? THAT DISTURBED YOU?

Chicago won the other poll as most similar to Toronto . Some said Chicago with Queens NYC together were the good mix for Toronto?
AGAIN, WE WERE DONE TILL YOU POSTED AGAIN TO ME .....AFTER MY POST TO BOSTONKID.

It is the same thread name anyway??? Not something completely different? http://www.city-data.com/forum/world...t-similar.html
dude, it's Friday night...

Old 03-13-2015, 09:15 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,247,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
The Midwest concept doesn't really work for Canada. You can't put Windsor and Winnipeg in the same region. In the US, you can go from Ohio to Nebraska and gradually transition from rust belt to farm belt. In Canada the industrial heartland stops at the border with Michigan and there is about 1000 miles of thinly populated Canadian Shield between southern Ontario and the Prairies. In other words, we have no equivalent of the 3 midwestern states that begin with the letter "I."
Being a lifelong railroad buff, I'm well-aware of the existence of "the shield"; and one of the big items on my "bucket list' is to ride those self-propelled rail coaches the Canadian Pacific and VIA operate west of Sudbury -- maybe spend a night or two in Chapleau (which would have been more interesting in the days before the highway was completed).

Have to get cracking on this one as I don't think they'll be around too much longer.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:22 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,151,301 times
Quote:
How we view or rank a skyline is individual but for me NYC is over the top not just because of aesthetics - its simply raw density and height in combination with quality.. Where the two are close together in my view is only in terms of quality of architecture which Chicago makes a strong case as rivalling NYC but overall size, height and density NYC is on another level.
Shanghai. This was taken in 2014. The building under construction is the second tallest in the world after Burj Khalifa, at 2,073 ft (or the height of 2 First Canadian Place stacked together), just to give you an impression of the scale of these structures.

The amount of skyscrapers in that city is mind boggling, along with intense densification on the street level. And this aerial shot is only a small fraction of the city skyline:

Old 03-13-2015, 09:27 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,694,943 times
Quote:
Would Kensington Market, College St, Cabbagetown and Queen St West fit more inside Chicago or Queens NY for example. It sounds like the Bay and Gable would definately fit in Queens more than Chicago - now of course Chicago has some brilliant Victorian architecture imo...
These are pretty uniquely Toronto neighborhoods and it's really hard to think of an equivalent for Queens or Chicago, and the Bay and Gable is a unique Toronto/Ontario housing style. Queens I think was pretty rural until the 20th century, I'm not sure if it has an Victorian rowhouse neighborhoods.

When I visited there, South Philly near the Italian Market struck me as kind of similar to Kensington and Little Italy.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:28 PM

Hey BK... I thought we were talking Chicago vs NYC which I stated imo I thought NYC was on top in terms of skyline.. Shanghai is an absolute BEAST.. I think its well on its way to being number 1 in terms of objective criteria such as density, height and overall size so you're preaching to the choir here. I've seen Smool's thread in the world forums and he makes a great case for Shanghai already getting close to being number 1..

Now when you get into the touchy feely stuff like architecture and style well Chicago and NYC will always have a leg up.. This was my point earlier - Toronto (while certainly NOT growing like Shanghai) is certainly growing and developing more than a city like Chicago and if T.O's growth continues along its trajectory it could certainly beat out Chicago in terms of overall size, density and height though it'll never match the architecture and style that is Chicago.. What is going on in Chinese cities and some other Asian ones plus the M.E like Dubai is just on a completely higher level in terms of development than say a city like T.O but hey - nothing to scoff at the city in western world terms is building like crazy.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-13-2015 at 09:39 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
These are pretty uniquely Toronto neighborhoods and it's really hard to think of an equivalent for Queens or Chicago, and the Bay and Gable is a unique Toronto/Ontario housing style. Queens I think was pretty rural until the 20th century, I'm not sure if it has an Victorian rowhouse neighborhoods.

When I visited there, South Philly near the Italian Market struck me as kind of similar to Kensington and Little Italy.
Well sure and i've seen Chicago's Victorians and they are actually quite impressive and 'different' so yeah of course you are going to get unique styles.. Its great for T.O that we don't have just cookie cutter nabe's and that we do have these unique streetscapes.. I was just kinda putting it out there in terms of those nabe's being more fitting in either Chicago or Queens.. According to Bourdain, Kensington Market gave him a Brooklyn feel and vibe if memory serves correctly. Really though, threads like this will only give general similarities and subjective feelings of connectivity - the beauty of any good city anyway is that it is unique to itself.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:47 PM

3,847 posts, read 5,247,998 times
Quote:
Well sure and i've seen Chicago's Victorians and they are actually quite impressive and 'different' so yeah of course you are going to get unique styles.. Its great for T.O that we don't have just cookie cutter nabe's and that we do have these unique streetscapes.. I was just kinda putting it out there in terms of those nabe's being more fitting in either Chicago or Queens.. According to Bourdain, Kensington Market gave him a Brooklyn feel and vibe if memory serves correctly. Really though, threads like this will only give general similarities and subjective feelings of connectivity - the beauty of any good city anyway is that it is unique to itself.
Kensington does not really give me a Brooklyn vibe at all. Personally I think its a mix of South Philly mixed with a dash of The Haight mixed with some Haymarket in Boston.

I agree that all these great cities in the US and Canada are really unique in their own ways, which is a wonderful thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto