U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2014, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,555 times

Advertisements

I love this site, and love the honesty of a lot of members on this forum talking about real issues in this country and city. Anyways I'm a Toronto citizen, born and raised. I no longer have the hope of a comfortable, let alone promising future in this city( being able to work to live!).
This city is becoming more and more polarizing economically, so growing up downtown and seeing the changes (condo's!), this city will probably get a lot worse before getting better, imo!
This city almost hits you with a catch 22, in that it's hard working to live( lower, entry level jobs in the hopes of just surviving, and doing the things you want to do in your spare time ), and it's hard living to work, with so much over saturation of "skilled workers" in the city who are competing for CAREERS, and not jobs. The ones who do trickle down to the "jobs", are then much more qualified than those unskilled workers just trying to work to live! It's like a vicious cycle.
Anyways I was hoping for some advice for some places within the country I can move to, that can reinvigorate my life in all aspects, including economically! This city is way too expensive and soul killing.
Or maybe some comments, and life experiences in this city, and how you were able to "change the game", and create your own lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 06:11 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet-life View Post
I love this site, and love the honesty of a lot of members on this forum talking about real issues in this country and city. Anyways I'm a Toronto citizen, born and raised. I no longer have the hope of a comfortable, let alone promising future in this city( being able to work to live!).
This city is becoming more and more polarizing economically, so growing up downtown and seeing the changes (condo's!), this city will probably get a lot worse before getting better, imo!
This city almost hits you with a catch 22, in that it's hard working to live( lower, entry level jobs in the hopes of just surviving, and doing the things you want to do in your spare time ), and it's hard living to work, with so much over saturation of "skilled workers" in the city who are competing for CAREERS, and not jobs. The ones who do trickle down to the "jobs", are then much more qualified than those unskilled workers just trying to work to live! It's like a vicious cycle.
Anyways I was hoping for some advice for some places within the country I can move to, that can reinvigorate my life in all aspects, including economically! This city is way too expensive and soul killing.
Or maybe some comments, and life experiences in this city, and how you were able to "change the game", and create your own lane.
Did you invest in getting an education that will help to equip you with the skills and qualifications that employers want in the city? Gone are the days that a generic degree that doesn't represent value to an employer is going to be your meal ticket to a great paying job out of the gates just because you're educated, cute, young and charming.

To be honest, what you wrote could apply to any city pretty much anywhere in the world.. Truth be told - an education is just the beginning of the journey.. Entry level and even contract or temporary work are great ways to get that first foot in the door of a company so once in - Make an impression and get to work!! Show them the value you bring to the company!

Old 11-29-2014, 09:28 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Great post Fusion2.

I guess the OP is outdated in terms of mindset. He talks about condos like it is the plague. What's wrong with provide more compact residents for more and more residents? Condo have so many advantages

1) they are affordable
2) more energy efficient and use much less gas/electricity to warm/cool
3) usually near transit lines and therefore less car dependent
4) only provide the space you actually need, not all the space to store junk
5) require less work - no snow shovelling, roof fixing
6) in mixed use neighbourhoods, more interesting life, instead of dead suburban life

It is a progress that Toronto is moving toward condo style living, because as the city gets larger, it is not practical for everyone to own a house. Look at the world's greatest cities, NYC, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo, no one lives in their large houses with garages. Nostalgia about house living, either make 200k a year or move to Hamilton.

I don't see how working hard is deemed a bad thing either. No country can be an advanced economy and provides high quality of life without most of its people working hard. The entire world has experienced structural changes in the past few decades since WWII, and in big cities, you can't have a high school degree, some trade skills and expect to enjoy a great secure life with two cars and a nice house in the suburbs for the rest of your life without constantly improving yourself. Don't blame the competition, don't blame the government, it is you who is left behind and feel entitled to all the nice things without making great efforts to earn them.

Canada and Toronto is hardly a work-to-live place. Go around the world and see how people in Hong Kong, Tokyo, New York and Shanghai world. You might say "I don't want to work like slaves", which is fine, but that's what makes successful and highly prosperous and wealthy cities. If it is your thing, that only means you are not a fit for Toronto any more, and it is time to move to some small towns with no competition, where a car assembling worker has a guaranteed high paying job and middle class life (not sure that still exists).

People feel like failures because they are failures. Those people who possess wealth and great life, well, don't be jealous or angry, you didn't see the hours they put in their work, and a country would be a failure if it doesn't reward hard working people with a far superior material life.

I don't see too much "injustice" here people constantly complain about. Canada is a very equal country in terms of income. I only see thousands of union workers who don't really deserve their income and benefit and I hope the country/city will gradually realize that's neither fair nor sustainable.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:59 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times
^^^

I agree that we need to let go of the past..It seems to be a hard thing for some people to do but it is what it is and the city isn't going to slow down for those that can't keep up.. We are no longer a regional or even national city - we truly are a global city that is actually attracting global talent and we need to compete with other global cities. For those who don't want to live that experience (which is perfectly respectable), Honda will pay one a decent wage to build Civic's on the assembly line in Alliston.. Just watch out for Carpel Tunnel!

Old 11-30-2014, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,555 times
Great posts guys. And yes, the world is quickly globalizing, and so is this city. Toronto I feel right now is at a cross roads of destiny. What kind of city will we become in the next 5 years? 10 years? I just wish this city put its destiny in its own hands. We can be much more than a carbon copy city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or