Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 04:43 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,795,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that's true. Even today's news reporting opening of the island airport pedestrian bridge was met with 100 negative comments. Examples:

Its easier and easier for me to sort of just accept the fact that some people are simply just always going to complain about everything.. Its always 1 step forward and 3 steps back for these kind of people and its just not a healthy mindset to allow them to pull me into their black hole.

Take a look at this nonsense in the National Post (who has a national obsession with constant low blows against Toronto).. This Jen Gerson thinks she must be riot. I call her a loser plain and simple! Seriously, when do you hear anyone from Toronto looking for the smallest excuse to mindlessly taking smack about other Canadian cities including her own - Calgary..

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...important-city

Last edited by fusion2; 07-30-2015 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 07:11 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,162,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Its easier and easier for me to sort of just accept the fact that some people are simply just always going to complain about everything.. Its always 1 step forward and 3 steps back for these kind of people and its just not a healthy mindset to allow them to pull me into their black hole.

Take a look at this nonsense in the National Post (who has a national obsession with constant low blows against Toronto).. This Jen Gerson thinks she must be riot. I call her a loser plain and simple! Seriously, when do you hear anyone from Toronto looking for the smallest excuse to mindlessly taking smack about other Canadian cities including her own - Calgary..

Jen Gerson: Thomas Mulcair goes for the Full Pander in
Yep, couldn't even finish reading the "article", if this is what you call journalism...

"So not only is Toronto culturally myopic, it’s also become a comparatively terrible place to live. (And we hear you may be getting stuck with an Olympics, too. Have fun with that.)"

"We should be cheering him on. Don’t resent the equalization, folks: we should be holding aid concerts for the poor souls."

I really pity poor girl, or rather, her misled readers that blindly buy into whatever dung she throws at Canada's economic center. But then again, I wouldn't expect anything on the level of NYT, The Economist, or Financial Times from a recent Ryerson grad.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Yep, couldn't even finish reading the "article", if this is what you call journalism...

"So not only is Toronto culturally myopic, it’s also become a comparatively terrible place to live. (And we hear you may be getting stuck with an Olympics, too. Have fun with that.)"

"We should be cheering him on. Don’t resent the equalization, folks: we should be holding aid concerts for the poor souls."

I really pity poor girl, or rather, her misled readers that blindly buy into whatever dung she throws at Canada's economic center. But then again, I wouldn't expect anything on the level of NYT, The Economist, or Financial Times from a recent Ryerson grad.
I don't think its Ryerson's fault - I think she's just pandering to the target audience in question that her employer encourages.. You know, the type that love to revel in talking smack about Toronto and all its citizens like they get off on it...They've got it all figured out lol..

Last edited by fusion2; 07-30-2015 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-31-2015, 08:03 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,677,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Jen Gerson: Thomas Mulcair goes for the Full Pander in
haha, this article is laughable...she even laughed at Toronto's weather, really? in the Canadian context?

She also said Toronto's GDP per capita is lower than Regina, Calgary and Edmonton. Well, LA and Chicago's GDP per capita is lower than Indianapolis and Salt Lake City too - I guess the latter two should be far more important than the former.

These news report serves more to pandering to certain Toronto hating (yea, someone else hates Toronto!)than providing any fact based argument. Honestly I don't know what is left of Canada if there were no Toronto - Regina, Edmonton and Calgary? Seriously? I am always of the opinion that AB, SK and MB are so small in popular that they should just merge - and at 5.8M it will still be smaller than the GTA.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
haha, this article is laughable...she even laughed at Toronto's weather, really? in the Canadian context?

She also said Toronto's GDP per capita is lower than Regina, Calgary and Edmonton. Well, LA and Chicago's GDP per capita is lower than Indianapolis and Salt Lake City too - I guess the latter two should be far more important than the former.

These news report serves more to pandering to certain Toronto hating (yea, someone else hates Toronto!)than providing any fact based argument. Honestly I don't know what is left of Canada if there were no Toronto - Regina, Edmonton and Calgary? Seriously? I am always of the opinion that AB, SK and MB are so small in popular that they should just merge - and at 5.8M it will still be smaller than the GTA.
lol actually I have to admit - a Canadian making fun of a Toronto winter is highly Oxymoric

As for per cap income - i'd like to invite any other region in Canada to grow by between 100-120K residents per year for 40 years running and counting and see what happens to their per capita GDP....The fact is, The Golden Horseshoe is 1/4th of Canada's GDP and the financial nerve centre of the country - Mulcair is absolutely right to mention that. Bringing up per cap GDP, the weather (laughable) and other nonsense was typical of the anti-Toronto hate out there - whatever if they want to be childish and juvenile about things than so bit it. Its unfortunate but why should we concern ourselves with that nonsense.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:05 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,698,052 times
Default It is over!!!

Okay.. It is done. Really really done and it was amazing from start to end. Toronto ... We killed it!!! Olympics we are READY! Haters it is time to bite your tongues ! Go TORONTO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto