Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 06:21 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
That's like 95% of all towns and cities in Germany, even though Germany is still the most desirable country to live and immigrant for majority of people in this world.
On what basis is "germany the most desirable country to live"? That makes no sense. You surveyed the entire world?

Germany has the median income of Mississippi and basically no current economic growth. It has one of the world's lowest birthrates, and its big cities are probably the ugliest in Western Europe. The people are known for being serious and dour, and the cuisine is less than notable.

On the other hand, it has extremely strong social and economic equality, a wonderful safety net, and fantastic public transportation. The people live within their means and sacrifice for the future. They are leaders in building a green economy. It isn't clear to me why it would be an obvious "best", however.

It gets tons of immigration because it has very liberal immigration laws and super-low birthrate. It still can't compare to somewhere like the U.S. or Canada in terms of immigration, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 06:55 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
On what basis is "germany the most desirable country to live"? That makes no sense. You surveyed the entire world?

Germany has the median income of Mississippi and basically no current economic growth. It has one of the world's lowest birthrates, and its big cities are probably the ugliest in Western Europe. The people are known for being serious and dour, and the cuisine is less than notable.

On the other hand, it has extremely strong social and economic equality, a wonderful safety net, and fantastic public transportation. The people live within their means and sacrifice for the future. They are leaders in building a green economy. It isn't clear to me why it would be an obvious "best", however.

It gets tons of immigration because it has very liberal immigration laws and super-low birthrate. It still can't compare to somewhere like the U.S. or Canada in terms of immigration, though.
Sure move to Mississippi then. Ugliest cities in Western Europe? Munich, Hamburg anyone? Get out of here and stop trash talking just because something doesn't fit your personal taste. It is one of the strongest manufacturing countries in the world, with a very healthy trade surplus and huge. Again, all that rant because based on your personal subjective opinion.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Sure move to Mississippi then. Ugliest cities in Western Europe? Munich, Hamburg anyone? Get out of here and stop trash talking just because something doesn't fit your personal taste. It is one of the strongest manufacturing countries in the world, with a very healthy trade surplus and huge. Again, all that rant because based on your personal subjective opinion.
The funny thing is that basically my entire post was objective (birthrates, median income, economic growth, postwar rebuilding of cities, etc.), while your entire post was subjective (Germany is "best" just because), yet you then accuse others of "subjectivity".

You are obviously the one who has ridiculous biases. Your claim is made up, and I, unlike you, have lived in Germany.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:49 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
Quote:
The funny thing is that basically my entire post was objective (birthrates, median income, economic growth, postwar rebuilding of cities, etc.), while your entire post was subjective (Germany is "best" just because), yet you then accuse others of "subjectivity".

You are obviously the one who has ridiculous biases. Your claim is made up, and I, unlike you, have lived in Germany.
I remember he has lived in Germany.

Medium income is probably not a good measurement of livability. Median household income is about $37 in Mississippi, this compares with $35k in Hong Kong/Austria/Finland/Japan etc. Canada's number is only slightly higher at $40K. Singapore is about $32k, France/UK 31k.

In fact according to a Gallup research, only 10 countries have higher income (PPP) than what shows as Mississippi's income, the poorest state in the US. Or, one can say, if Mississippi were a country, it would be the 11th richest in the world.

Something is not right here. The way these institutions measure income could be very different. One has to be very careful to comparing "median income", as it needs to be from exactly the same source and under the same methodology.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Something is not right here. The way these institutions measure income could be very different. One has to be very careful to comparing "median income", as it needs to be from exactly the same source and under the same methodology.
Mississippi, by global standards, is very rich, not poor. The problem isn't in the methodology (the exact same methodology is applied to all countries), I was only pointing out that Germany is hardly "the best" country by some obvious objective means. It's a great country but has its challenges and weaknesses like all nations.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:27 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,642 times
Quote:
Again, all that rant because based on your personal subjective opinion.
And calling Germany the most desirable in the world isn't a personal subjective opinion?

Old 02-02-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
And calling Germany the most desirable in the world isn't a personal subjective opinion?
Guys, calm down. It was a typo. I meant to say ONE of the most desirable places. One typo and you guys rip it apart to pieces like it's some unforgivable sin. And what if I think Germany is the most desirable place to live? This is C-D, not trying to defend my Ph.D. thesis here. I think Germany is the best place to live, you don't agree with me. Big deal. If you guys want to continue nitpicking, by all means, be my guest, but I'm not going to waste time bickering like maids in the market.

I agree with Botti on the median income part. Hardly a fair measure of livability.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:46 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
It's both odd and funny how Mississippi always comes up in these discussions?

Do people down there even know how top-of-mind they are for people like us?

OK, Mouldy must be all excited...

Old 02-02-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I agree with Botti on the median income part. Hardly a fair measure of livability.
What would be a better measure of livability? Most people consider their bank accounts to be pretty relevant to their lifestyles.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
What would be a better measure of livability? Most people consider their bank accounts to be pretty relevant to their lifestyles.
So by that measure, people should be flocking to migrate to Mississippi then, because it has higher than average median income according to some survey. I mean, why would anyone want to move to Berlin or New York or Singapore when you could go with the great state of Mississippi.

Here's PwC's 2014 Cities of Opportunity Survey. It includes 10 categories, but "median income" is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto