Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 02:54 PM

424 posts, read 466,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post
This is the truth. Why the hell would an American give up the USA to go to Toronto. It baffles the mind. It's like picking North Dakota over everything outside of it.
Well I have just read a lot of positive things about the city lately. I know it's not a perfect city, TO has some flaws - but every city on the planet will have problems no matter where you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 08:26 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
Well I have just read a lot of positive things about the city lately. I know it's not a perfect city, TO has some flaws - but every city on the planet will have problems no matter where you go.
Haters will hate sf_arkitect.. Do you know anyone in Toronto? If you do why not come up and visit them and scope the city out to see if you feel a connection? You can come up alone of course but wouldn't have the same impact. With that said, I do recommend visiting any city before you even consider moving to it - especially in a foreign country.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:05 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
Ignore those two. We somehow have no shortage of folks who create new accounts on C-D just to bash Toronto with the rudest and most hateful words exemplary of modern online trolling. If you look at their profile and posting history they both opened up their accounts in Feb 2015 a few days ago, with the express purpose of bashing a particular place.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:15 AM

230 posts, read 535,869 times
As long as you have a job offer in hand, you will have no problem at all getting your NAFTA visa. This is the route I took, and it was much easier than expected.

That said, Toronto is no walk in the park when it comes to employment, and I wouldn't suggest ANYTHING about being American during the application process (use a local address on your resume). At the interview, casually mention that you're currently on a work visa or something and that you will need to change it once you have an offer from them. This shouldn't raise too may red flags. The trick is to make it seem that it's really no big deal at all and that it doesn't change anything on their end.

As for the city itself, some people love it and some hate it. Yes, the city does well in terms of int'l quality of life rankings, but it also presents a set of challenges that in my opinion would outweigh the challenges you would face in a city like Chicago or New York, especially given your circumstances.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:42 PM

287 posts, read 306,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
As long as you have a job offer in hand, you will have no problem at all getting your NAFTA visa. This is the route I took, and it was much easier than expected.

That said, Toronto is no walk in the park when it comes to employment, and I wouldn't suggest ANYTHING about being American during the application process (use a local address on your resume). At the interview, casually mention that you're currently on a work visa or something and that you will need to change it once you have an offer from them. This shouldn't raise too may red flags. The trick is to make it seem that it's really no big deal at all and that it doesn't change anything on their end.

As for the city itself, some people love it and some hate it. Yes, the city does well in terms of int'l quality of life rankings, but it also presents a set of challenges that in my opinion would outweigh the challenges you would face in a city like Chicago or New York, especially given your circumstances.
This is probably the most unbiased reply in the whole thread...

Old 02-20-2015, 06:51 PM

678 posts, read 875,601 times
Ignore the obvious troll who couldn't get laid in Toronto or find a job, therefore he blames outside factors instead of accepting the real problem, which is his attitude.
Toronto is a great city to move to with a large population that is growing by the minute.
Just apply for a job and see what you get.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:53 PM

678 posts, read 875,601 times
To the OP, I'm also about to graduate from a SoCal university too, and I've wanted to move to Canada, or just a more northern state, for the same reason as you. I can't handle heat and sunshine ALL THE TIME, that's just me.
Oh, also because I wanna live somewhere near nature, which Socal doesnt have, unless you consider a crowded and trash-filled beach as nature and the smog causing the air to smell and the sky to turn brown.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:11 PM

287 posts, read 306,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post

Just to add some clarification:
. a job offer doesn't guarantee your nafta visa, it has to be on the list of applicable professions
. If your profession is not on the list, your employer will have to sponsor your work permit, which is a fairly time consuming process, mine took over 3 months, fortunately the job was about US work and the company didn't have any local candidates with needed experience and/or willing to do it, otherwise I don't think the company would have waited that long
. The job market for fresh graduates is extremely competitive, worse than in the US for many professions, I have personally known a few who couldn't get a job here and successfully employed in the US

Old 02-20-2015, 10:01 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
To the OP, I'm also about to graduate from a SoCal university too, and I've wanted to move to Canada, or just a more northern state, for the same reason as you. I can't handle heat and sunshine ALL THE TIME, that's just me.
Oh, also because I wanna live somewhere near nature, which Socal doesnt have, unless you consider a crowded and trash-filled beach as nature and the smog causing the air to smell and the sky to turn brown.
I liked Toronto on my visit there. If you have an opportunity, hey why not? It could be good to check it out. NAFTA gives certain professionals the ability to be hired across the border. But I'd also point out there are great U.S. cities that will fulfill what you and the OP both are looking for. Seattle, Portland? I've hears good things as well about Minneapolis, even further afield places like Pittsburgh. (OK perhaps none of these rival Toronto or Chicago for size, although Seattle is probably in the same league).

Old 02-21-2015, 12:40 PM

424 posts, read 466,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
I liked Toronto on my visit there. If you have an opportunity, hey why not? It could be good to check it out. NAFTA gives certain professionals the ability to be hired across the border. But I'd also point out there are great U.S. cities that will fulfill what you and the OP both are looking for. Seattle, Portland? I've hears good things as well about Minneapolis, even further afield places like Pittsburgh. (OK perhaps none of these rival Toronto or Chicago for size, although Seattle is probably in the same league).
I have looked into many of those cities you had just mentioned.

Chicago is my other option because, like TO, it is mega city with a large job market that accompanies being a city of it's size. So I figure that it would have more opportunity to move up in position and salary (not to downplay that it will likely be as competitive as any other big city).

I also really love the legacy that Chicago has in the development of modern architecture - that city could be described as the "pantheon" of American architecture given huge names like Louis Sullivan, Daniel Burnham, Frank Lloyd Wright, Mies Van Der Rohe, SOM, Helmut Jahn, and Adrian Smith lived there or were established there.

And it's true that being an American city, Chicago would be a little less complicated to move to. Thanks for the advice docwatson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto