Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 02:36 PM

13 posts, read 31,632 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am moving to GTA this year and just trying to learn more about the cultures and neighborhood in GTA. Are there eastern european enclaves in GTA like Chinese enclaves in Richmond Hill/Markham? If yes, where are these enclaves? Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 03:44 PM

277 posts, read 785,922 times
Things are changing due to gentrification. Bloor Street West and Roncesvalles used to be heavily Ukrainian and Polish. In fact, Bloor West and Roncesvalles still hold annual Ukrainian and Polish festivals on the same weekend. Bloor and Dundas West still has the Lithuanian house, though many of them moved out west for quite some time. Most Eastern Euros moved west to Lakeshore and Mississauga. Richmond Hill has a size-able Russian population.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:49 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,095,522 times
This should be helpful.

Ethnic Community Maps for Toronto

Old 03-05-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
This should be helpful.

Ethnic Community Maps for Toronto

Thanks for the link to the map. But are those maps accurate? I noticed alot of Eastern Europeans living in Richmond Hill and Vaughan according to the map. I remember visiting those neighborhood last summer. I saw were Chinese shops and restaurants everywhere.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:39 PM

277 posts, read 785,922 times
Eastern European is a pretty large umbrella. Which ethnic groups in particular are you curious about? As I mentioned in my original message, the west end is full of EE.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothoperator84 View Post
Thanks for the link to the map. But are those maps accurate? I noticed alot of Eastern Europeans living in Richmond Hill and Vaughan according to the map. I remember visiting those neighborhood last summer. I saw were Chinese shops and restaurants everywhere.
There is a decent Chinese population living in the Eastern European areas, but the really Chinese areas are a few km away on the eastern side of Yonge. Are you sure you weren't in Markham?

Old 03-07-2015, 10:57 AM

I think I was in Markham and Richmond Hill. I am looking for more of 1st generation Eastern European community like Polish, Ukraine, Russians..

Old 03-08-2015, 11:55 AM

577 posts, read 1,475,207 times
Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge area would be your better bet.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:50 PM

KWC has some 1st gen Eastern Europeans that's true, but not as many as parts of the GTA.

I would say the map in the link I gave is accurate. However, maybe another thing I should point out is that the Eastern Europeans around Bathurst street from Forest Hill to Thornhill/Vaughan are largely Jewish, while the non-Jewish Eastern Europeans live in the west of the city/western suburbs, much of them Polish although you also have Serbs, Croats and Ukrainians. They have a fair bit of churches in the western GTA, and also businesses catering to that community like Starsky's which is a Polish-Canadian supermarket with 2 locations in Mississauga. However there's also other groups mixed in, Canadians (multi-gen), Pakistanis, Arabs, Portuguese, I don't think any of these areas in the western GTA are predominantly Eastern European although they are a noticeable minority for sure.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:00 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,080 times
Jews from the FSU don't really live in the same areas as Poles, Ukrainians and other Slavic groups. Bathurst-Sheppard and York Region (Thornhill/Richmond Hill) have lots of Russian-speaking Jews. High Park, central and southern Etobicoke and the Cooksville area of Mississauga have lots of Poles. Ukrainians, Croats and Serbs have a similar pattern, but I believe more in Etobicoke and less in Mississauga.

Basically it comes down to migration history. Jews moved northward (centered along Bathurst St.) when they moved out of the Spadina/Kensington area, to Forest Hill, North York and Thornhill. Poles and Ukrainians went westward from Bathurst-Queen, to the High Park area, to Etobicoke/Mississauga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto