Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:16 AM

15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equalizer101 View Post
Screttiu, I would not even take into consideration the Italian community here. The Italian roots/presence here has always been extremely overhyped in my eyes. Never mind any average neighbourhood in Toronto/GTA, but even in an Italian enclave there is no feeling of any draw, bond or connection with others just because you're both of Italian roots. If you look at demographics generally only 15% of those with Italian roots speak Italian (in the home?)...this will probably be close to zero in the next generation.

I met a guy last year who moved here from Northern Italy after marrying a Canadian, if you saw the regret in his eyes and demeanour when he tells you of back home and his decision to move here it would tell you all you needed to know.

Per l'Italo-Canadese ed il popolo in genere, è una gente un po' provinciale/cafone (immagina un popolo di cafone che sono diventati, ammetto perlopiù onestamente, nouveau ceto medio), non antipatiche ma non simpatiche, e poco socievole fuori da qualche momento che ti "lavano la faccia". Qui non è la norma conoscere/socializzare con il vicino fuori da dire 'ciao' una volta ogni mese. È una mentalita sopratutto per soldi, soldi, soldi prima della socializzazione, e qualita e godimento della vita...in fatti quando e sotto 15-20 per 5 mesi che altro c'è da fare fuori da lavorare, mangiare, e dormire.
But how would he have felt moving to Houston than?

Last edited by fusion2; 03-05-2015 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 10:26 AM

3,847 posts, read 5,244,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equalizer101 View Post
Screttiu, I would not even take into consideration the Italian community here. The Italian roots/presence here has always been extremely overhyped in my eyes. Never mind any average neighbourhood in Toronto/GTA, but even in an Italian enclave there is no feeling of any draw, bond or connection with others just because you're both of Italian roots. If you look at demographics generally only 15% of those with Italian roots speak Italian (in the home?)...this will probably be close to zero in the next generation.

I met a guy last year who moved here from Northern Italy after marrying a Canadian, if you saw the regret in his eyes and demeanour when he tells you of back home and his decision to move here it would tell you all you needed to know.

Per l'Italo-Canadese ed il popolo in genere, è una gente un po' provinciale/cafone (immagina un popolo di cafone che sono diventati, ammetto perlopiù onestamente, nouveau ceto medio), non antipatiche ma non simpatiche, e poco socievole fuori da qualche momento che ti "lavano la faccia". Qui non è la norma conoscere/socializzare con il vicino fuori da dire 'salve' una volta ogni mese o due. È una mentalita sopratutto per soldi/lavoro, soldi/lavoro, soldi/lavoro prima della socializzazione, è qualita e godimento della vita...in fatti quando e sotto 15-20 per 5 mesi che altro c'è da fare fuori da lavorare, mangiare, e dormire.
I agree that the OP needs to set his expectations and not expect the connection to Italian culture in the way he knows it, to be all that prevalent in Toronto. The main draw of having a large community is you can get your "stuff" you miss from back home. Whether that being a certain food item, type of music, etc..

I came to Toronto as a member of an immigrant community that is well represented in the GTA, but the common bond you share with folks who were raised in Toronto or 2nd generation is very faint. They know Canadian life, you know something else. But when I wanted a type of food, I could at least make an attempt to find it and that is the main reason why people like to know there is a community present in the area.

P.S: Equalizer, I am glad you wrote the final paragraph in Italian. If not you would have gotten people all riled up : )

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 03-05-2015 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-05-2015, 10:52 AM

113 posts, read 112,014 times
I do not expect to interact that much with the Italian community and this will in no way play a key role in my decision.
Apart from that, I still have to figure out whether fusion2 is recommending a move to Toronto or not.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:59 AM

15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by screttiu View Post
I do not expect to interact that much with the Italian community and this will in no way play a key role in my decision.
Apart from that, I still have to figure out whether fusion2 is recommending a move to Toronto or not.
Well screttiu.. I certainly think there is a stronger Italian community in Toronto than Houston and Dubai that is for sure.. So I think the option is stronger in Toronto but is it Italy - well no so I'm not sure what the other poster was getting at.. Nobody was claiming Toronto is a piece of Italy lol... its not but there are some good Italian resto's and a large expat community

Toronto is a great city... I think it is a fair bit more cosmopolitan, international, interesting, dense and complete of a city than Houston.. There are a plethora of things to do and it is growing... It is consisently rated as one of the best cities in the world to live by a variety of survey's.. Some attack them and fair enough but it can't be denied for a city of its size - it offers almost unparalled levels of safety, security and overall harmony.

Would I recommend a move? What I would recommend is a visit for a few weeks IF possible and link up with some locals who know the city so you can experience it yourself.. With that said, and it can't be denied, winters are colder and less agreeable than Houston that is for sure...

In the meantime before a visit - I have posted a fair share of pics of T.O and there are still many more to come!!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/toron...-thread-5.html

pages continue on in that link up to page 10 now...

Last edited by fusion2; 03-05-2015 at 11:17 AM..

Old 03-05-2015, 11:19 AM

3,847 posts, read 5,244,251 times
To the OP, here is the info on admission to sit for the Ontario Bar exam for a foreign trained lawyer. I just realized I only posted Texas:

https://prelawforum.wordpress.com/be...reign-lawyers/

How to Become a Lawyer in Canada - CA | Bar Admission Course and Articling

Old 03-05-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
To the OP, here is the info on admission to sit for the Ontario Bar exam for a foreign trained lawyer. I just realized I only posted Texas:

https://prelawforum.wordpress.com/be...reign-lawyers/

How to Become a Lawyer in Canada - CA | Bar Admission Course and Articling
Appreciate it .
The bis issue seems to be he English law which is not the one that applies to italy

Old 03-05-2015, 04:18 PM

287 posts, read 304,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by screttiu View Post
Actually I don't think anybody can recommend that...
the best they can do is present you with facts and let you be the judge and make the decision. I have known Canadian citizens moving to the US with no intention of moving back, and US citizens moving to Canada doing the same.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well screttiu.. I certainly think there is a stronger Italian community in Toronto than Houston and Dubai that is for sure.. So I think the option is stronger in Toronto but is it Italy - well no so I'm not sure what the other poster was getting at.. Nobody was claiming Toronto is a piece of Italy lol... its not but there are some good Italian resto's and a large expat community

Toronto is a great city... I think it is a fair bit more cosmopolitan, international, interesting, dense and complete of a city than Houston.. There are a plethora of things to do and it is growing... It is consisently rated as one of the best cities in the world to live by a variety of survey's.. Some attack them and fair enough but it can't be denied for a city of its size - it offers almost unparalled levels of safety, security and overall harmony.

Would I recommend a move? What I would recommend is a visit for a few weeks IF possible and link up with some locals who know the city so you can experience it yourself.. With that said, and it can't be denied, winters are colder and less agreeable than Houston that is for sure...

In the meantime before a visit - I have posted a fair share of pics of T.O and there are still many more to come!!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/toron...-thread-5.html

pages continue on in that link up to page 10 now...
I'm not going to have the opportunity to visit. But I am not concerned about that.
The point is that I don't know what the final offer might be....Toronto is expensive, but on the other side, the U.S. visa stuff is a headache. And I have no choices to work for another company for long time...

Dubai is fine money wise . I will still keep my expat status. But again... Can't be forever.

Houston is cheap, multinational but it's got less of that Big US type of city. all is spreaded out...and I'm a bit scared about this non protection at your work place...

Old 03-05-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
Actually I don't think anybody can recommend that...
the best they can do is present you with facts and let you be the judge and make the decision. I have known Canadian citizens moving to the US with no intention of moving back, and US citizens moving to Canada doing the same.
You're right

Old 03-06-2015, 10:37 PM

What a good salary is like in Toronto for 2 people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto