Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fundamentally, Toronto is more like ...
Chicago 46 63.01%
Vancouver 27 36.99%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:27 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times

Advertisements

Anyway - for visitors more interested in learning more about QSW and perhaps exploring it instead of needlessly bashing it left, right and centre and every inch in between to get a reaction - here are some articles

One day in Toronto's coolest neighbourhood - Lonely Planet
https://blog.lonewolfmag.com/toronto-street-style/
10 Stunning Art Galleries in Toronto's Hip West Queen West
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 11:12 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Actually pretty much every major street west of the DT core in Old Toronto is largely barren of highrise towers.. College, Bloor, Queen, Dundas, King etc are mostly low and mid rise commercial/residential Victorian/Edwardian architecture..

With all that said - please do more than just go to Urban outfitters the next time you go to QSW.. Since you're in town frequently - i'll take you to the Gladstone! In order to enjoy the street and its surrounding nabe's you really need to start digging.

Vintage clothes shopping?

The Best Vintage Clothing Stores in Toronto

Superior retail shopping is relative to the individual shopper...
It's okay, cut him some slack. Dude purportedly comes to Toronto "all the time" for business, but never ventures west beyond financial district, judging by his "urban outfitters" comment (which is located on Queen at Spadina, within few blocks of financial district).

What Fusion said is pretty dead-on: no major street west of downtown core is "lined with street-deadening high rises". No high rise condos west of downtown core on Queen, King, Dundas, College, and Bloor. I've driven on those streets a lot and didn't notice anything but 3-6 storey brick buildings or houses, and a few low-rise apartments here and there.

It seems like NOLA's only impression of Toronto is "street-deadening high rises". He seems to be most familiar with Yonge, so it's not surprising that he has that impression considering that many of Toronto's tallest scrapers and condos are built along Yonge (Aura, One Bloor). I always get the distinct feeling that a place like Dundas Square on Yonge is almost geared exclusively to NOLA and other window shopping tourists, in that they are just typical tourist traps that most locals steer clear of. Whenever I'm in downtown, I always try to stay away from Yonge and use University or Bay or Spadina as alternative North-South routes.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:53 PM

47 posts, read 90,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
You're impressed with someone throwing green dye into a river? Lol, enough said, your opinion of Toronto is a joke too! Watered down version of a mid sized american city? You really believe this? Ridiculous!
It's pretty cool to me, it shows creativity and festive spirit. Better then that dull, boring non personality city of Toronto, Canada lol. Anyways keep living in that delusional bubble you live in thinking that Toronto is some special place. Americans barely even know the place exists, and it's a reason for that. Because it's not anything special or appealing. It's a big deal for Canadians so I get that part, just giving my opinion on the place.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:43 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser99 View Post
What I've noticed is how "defensive" some Toronto people get when you say anything about what Toronto lacks or giving a true opinion of the place that may not be favorable. And you can tell how much "Homerism" they have because they never say anything bad about Toronto, lol. I'm not from Toronto, but lived there for 5 years. My opinion of the place is unbiased and true because I didn't grow up there. A person from a certain city that always defends it with "rose colored" glasses on can not give a true analysis of the place because no matter what they will always say something positive and not just be honest with themselves.

I also noticed a lot of Toronto people haven't spent much time in any other cities outside of Toronto. Toronto is a nice city, but honestly it is not appealing for tourists. It's cool being a "Novelty" if you have never been there. But Toronto has nothing eye catching or appealing that just makes it a place that you have to come and see. I've also been to Montreal as well, and the Old Montreal area with the cobble stone streets really stuck out to me and is eye catching and appealing. In my opinion Toronto is a watered down version of a mid-sized American city, with a CN Tower lol. And Toronto does have the lowest crime rate of any North American major city, and that is awesome.

I also have a cousin that moved from the U.S. to Toronto, then ended up moving to Chicago. So he lived in both places for about 3 years each. He liked Toronto, but after living in Chicago he just raves about the place. And he always compares the two cities since he lived in both. He's specifically said how Chicago's downtown was massive compared to Toronto's. He also stated that how in the summer time Chicago always has huge events going on 24/7. Like it's so much going on in Chicago in the summer that it's almost too much. And he told me how for St. Patrick's they Dye the Chicago River Green, lol. That's pretty cool haha. I saw some pictures of that, looks pretty cool. See stuff like that show's a city has personality and some spice. Chicago is actually known for doing that.

What does Toronto do that is cool like that or known for?
As an American who has lived in several US cities before settling in Toronto, for me Toronto is a GREAT city to live in and is certainly better than most American cities.

The top three things I love about Toronto is how multicultural it is here, the amount of green and open spaces and the extremely low crime rates despite having a population of over 5.5 million. No other city in Canada or the US has a crime rate as low as in Toronto/GTA for such a huge city which means no matter where you live here even in the 'bad parts' of Toronto, your chances of becoming a victim of crime is relatively low. You can't say the same for Chicago, New York or any other large American city that's supposedly so awesome.

Also there's plenty to do here during the summer so I don't know where you get that Toronto is lacking in events and festivals etc for people to enjoy. And the nightlife here is pretty good as well with plenty of bars and restaurants everywhere, especially ethnic restaurants.

From a tourist perspective I can agree that its lacking abit. While there's plenty to do, much of it isn't super special other than certain events like the gay pride parade which is one of the largest in North America. Also Toronto is a relatively new city so it doesn't have quite as much historic sites to visit as say Montreal does. And the only other big downside of this city is its newer architecture. Too many condo buildings that are the same glass box designs that litter our downtown skyline. There was so much lost opportunity there to build a great lookng and unique downtown skyline, but the city allowed developers to build the same boring glass highrises over and over again instead of something special that Torontonians as well as tourists would have an interest in visiting.

So other than the negatives listed above in addition to the crappy weather we often get here, I'll take Toronto over Chicago, New York and most every other American city out there by a mile. Toronto may not be the best tourist city, but its definitely near the best for livability which is why year after year Toronto ranks near the top on multiple lists for being the most livable.

Quote:
It's pretty cool to me, it shows creativity and festive spirit. Better then that dull, boring non personality city of Toronto, Canada lol. Anyways keep living in that delusional bubble you live in thinking that Toronto is some special place. Americans barely even know the place exists, and it's a reason for that. Because it's not anything special or appealing. It's a big deal for Canadians so I get that part, just giving my opinion on the place.
Does it really matter what Americans think about Toronto? It certainly doesn't matter to me. I know this is a great city and most Torontonians would agree that its a great place to live and that's what matters most.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:55 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I love when the homers get all riled up! LOL! They get so angry they don't even read the posts correctly!

I never said that Buffalo had an exact same street as Queen. Nor did I say that every American city had the exact same street as Queen.

But certainly the Elmwood Strip is similar, as are streets in basically all major cities. Name one major city that doesn't have such a street. Detroit is the only major city I can think of that lacks a major youth-oriented street.

I am in Toronto all the time for business, and it is not even the most interesting street in Toronto. Yonge is much more interesting. What is so unique or interesting about Queen? Am I supposed to be impressed by an Urban Outfitters or some funky eyeglass boutique?
oh, ok, I'm a Toronto homer even though I was born and raised live in Windsor.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that you have never lived in Toronto buddy, and if you do, I hope you move! Your assessment of the city is laughable!

Old 05-01-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
You are aware the number of American tourists that come to Toronto eh? Generally speaking it is in the top 10 of most visited international cities by Americans. Look it up!

Its by far the most visited city Americans visit when coming to Canada.. Take a look at O/D Transborder traffic out of Toronto pearson. Your bias against this city is laughable just because your ex wife is Torontonian...

Last edited by fusion2; 05-01-2015 at 05:33 PM..

Old 05-01-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
It's okay, cut him some slack. Dude purportedly comes to Toronto "all the time" for business, but never ventures west beyond financial district, judging by his "urban outfitters" comment (which is located on Queen at Spadina, within few blocks of financial district).

What Fusion said is pretty dead-on: no major street west of downtown core is "lined with street-deadening high rises". No high rise condos west of downtown core on Queen, King, Dundas, College, and Bloor. I've driven on those streets a lot and didn't notice anything but 3-6 storey brick buildings or houses, and a few low-rise apartments here and there.

It seems like NOLA's only impression of Toronto is "street-deadening high rises". He seems to be most familiar with Yonge, so it's not surprising that he has that impression considering that many of Toronto's tallest scrapers and condos are built along Yonge (Aura, One Bloor). I always get the distinct feeling that a place like Dundas Square on Yonge is almost geared exclusively to NOLA and other window shopping tourists, in that they are just typical tourist traps that most locals steer clear of. Whenever I'm in downtown, I always try to stay away from Yonge and use University or Bay or Spadina as alternative North-South routes.
I don't mind to stroll down Yonge to people watch or partake in a festival/parade but you're right - I wouldn't shop there at all! As a tourist if I want to buy cheap souvenirs I'd go to Chinatown lol.. There are some decent restaurants too that are cheap but yeah QSW is far more interesting to shop - especially WEST of Urban Outfitters hahaha. Oh yeah Yonge/Dundas square actually has some pretty interesting free things on the weekends in the summer. Last summer i watched Amateur boxing matches and caught a Tegan and Sara concert.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-01-2015 at 05:21 PM..

Old 05-02-2015, 12:54 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post

As for Queen Street, it's the best street of its "type" in all of Canamercia.
Hmm I don't know. Queen street is cool, but the "best of its type"? St Laurent and St Denis in Mtl are pretty cool, I don't know if we can really say Queens street is better.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Hmm I don't know. Queen street is cool, but the "best of its type"? St Laurent and St Denis in Mtl are pretty cool, I don't know if we can really say Queens street is better.
Yes, I find St Denis and St. Laurent very much comparable to Queen St. W. All three streets are pretty great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto