Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 11:52 PM

92 posts, read 176,555 times

Advertisements

Love the Toronto skyline, and view as you drive into it from the west. It is a city that sure shows well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 04:56 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenHorses View Post
Love the Toronto skyline, and view as you drive into it from the west. It is a city that sure shows well.
The city has had a good run over the last decade and the skyline has bulked up considerably.. Good things in my books but it really is time for some bold pieces... There have been some slivers of those recently but time to take it up a notch in terms of height and quality.. Certainly high time that FCP is dethroned but yeah, as a western city Toronto has done very very well in the skyline department of late..

Old 06-22-2015, 09:40 PM

800 posts, read 730,253 times
Well I hope you contribute to making this city more interesting. Leave a lasting impression! Good or bad.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:44 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The city has had a good run over the last decade and the skyline has bulked up considerably.. Good things in my books but it really is time for some bold pieces... There have been some slivers of those recently but time to take it up a notch in terms of height and quality.. Certainly high time that FCP is dethroned but yeah, as a western city Toronto has done very very well in the skyline department of late..
Would like to see a 1000 footer soon... and some more concentration around North York City Center.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterribleone View Post
Would like to see a 1000 footer soon... and some more concentration around North York City Center.
Technically FCP is a 355 m supertall if you include antenna (some measures do include pinnacle height) and its just shy of 300 m supertall status at roof by a mere 2 metres... Of course the CN Tower is a supertall and really its as imposing a structure as any building of comparable height - it has enough meat to it and isn't just a mast so that's good but yeah - we've had over a decade of very impressive construction and it would be nice to see a few new supertalls... FCP and the CN Tower are almost 40 years old now - time for some new really talls i'd say!! I'm a size queen yes ha...

Aura left us very close and due to its location has made a huge impact on the skyline - even more than a supertall would in the Mint cluster but I'd like to see few plus 1000 footers to add some height to an already impressive skyline.. BTW 1 bloor is going to make a big imprint on the northern peak of the city's skyline.. Should be topped out by October/November..

As for NYCC - i'd have to say for a suburban cluster within a city proper it is already VERY impressive... I honestly don't think there is any cluster outside a DT cluster in Canamerica that is as impressive as NYCC other than in NYC.. NYCC has its new tallest by the way in the Hullmark centre and those Bazis arched green towers have made a large imprint on the NYCC skyline.. Anyway sure - more isn't bad for NYCC but as I said - already pretty impressive for a non DT core skyline.. I can only imagine what someone would think looking at it who's never been to Toronto - they'd probably think this was possible the DT skyline because it has so much bulk .. Same thing with Mississauga.. I read somewhere and not sure if its true that an American got off the QEW at Hurontario and saw the Missy Skyline thinking It was Toronto's and parked and started asking people where was where the CN Tower was lol.. Most cities don't have such impressive clusters outside their DT core areas.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-22-2015 at 10:10 PM..

Old 06-23-2015, 09:03 PM

659 posts, read 899,081 times
Quote:
I read somewhere and not sure if its true that an American got off the QEW at Hurontario and saw the Missy Skyline thinking It was Toronto's and parked and started asking people where was where the CN Tower was lol.. Most cities don't have such impressive clusters outside their DT core areas.
That is awesome

Old 06-24-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Technically FCP is a 355 m supertall if you include antenna (some measures do include pinnacle height) and its just shy of 300 m supertall status at roof by a mere 2 metres... Of course the CN Tower is a supertall and really its as imposing a structure as any building of comparable height - it has enough meat to it and isn't just a mast so that's good but yeah - we've had over a decade of very impressive construction and it would be nice to see a few new supertalls... FCP and the CN Tower are almost 40 years old now - time for some new really talls i'd say!! I'm a size queen yes ha...

Aura left us very close and due to its location has made a huge impact on the skyline - even more than a supertall would in the Mint cluster but I'd like to see few plus 1000 footers to add some height to an already impressive skyline.. BTW 1 bloor is going to make a big imprint on the northern peak of the city's skyline.. Should be topped out by October/November..

As for NYCC - i'd have to say for a suburban cluster within a city proper it is already VERY impressive... I honestly don't think there is any cluster outside a DT cluster in Canamerica that is as impressive as NYCC other than in NYC.. NYCC has its new tallest by the way in the Hullmark centre and those Bazis arched green towers have made a large imprint on the NYCC skyline.. Anyway sure - more isn't bad for NYCC but as I said - already pretty impressive for a non DT core skyline.. I can only imagine what someone would think looking at it who's never been to Toronto - they'd probably think this was possible the DT skyline because it has so much bulk .. Same thing with Mississauga.. I read somewhere and not sure if its true that an American got off the QEW at Hurontario and saw the Missy Skyline thinking It was Toronto's and parked and started asking people where was where the CN Tower was lol.. Most cities don't have such impressive clusters outside their DT core areas.
Haha, size queen, love the ambition! Very true, we need some new blood in the city for sure. I would like to see Rogers Centre replaced entirely imo, that could be a good spot. Move the Jays to Downsview . FCP and CN Tower are the legacy but we need a future.

I think with Aura and 1 Bloor, it was a the change the Yonge/Bloor area needed to set itself apart from south of Queen, but I would like to see the skyline in that area expand. I like the condos on Yonge. NYCC, I agree with 100 percent and let me add they can even expand north of Finch a bit as well and south of sheppard.

Toronto is definitely unique with having boomburbs. Only place I think of is LA or Phoenix, and that's only population.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterribleone View Post
Haha, size queen, love the ambition! Very true, we need some new blood in the city for sure. I would like to see Rogers Centre replaced entirely imo, that could be a good spot. Move the Jays to Downsview . FCP and CN Tower are the legacy but we need a future.

I think with Aura and 1 Bloor, it was a the change the Yonge/Bloor area needed to set itself apart from south of Queen, but I would like to see the skyline in that area expand. I like the condos on Yonge. NYCC, I agree with 100 percent and let me add they can even expand north of Finch a bit as well and south of sheppard.

Toronto is definitely unique with having boomburbs. Only place I think of is LA or Phoenix, and that's only population.
We've had a great boom decade - the skyline of 2015 is leaps and bounds more impressive in Toronto vs 2005.... Its unbelievable how much its changed! With all that said though for such a boom - a few supertalls would be the icing on the cake... let's hope Mirvish-Gehry and The One aren't cut down below supertall status by the Commies at City Hall!

Old 06-24-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
We've had a great boom decade - the skyline of 2015 is leaps and bounds more impressive in Toronto vs 2005.... Its unbelievable how much its changed! With all that said though for such a boom - a few supertalls would be the icing on the cake... let's hope Mirvish-Gehry and The One aren't cut down below supertall status by the Commies at City Hall!
Let's hope so. Toronto needs to go for it now. Too bad don't have this vision on transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto