Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 06:39 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,872 times

Advertisements

Just a few days ago I went to Chicago to visit a friend, and well after being there, I wanted to go to Toronto too since it's not very far from there and I was like what the heck I'll go.

After I left Chicago, my friend dropped me off at o' hare international airport and very shortly boarded the plane to Kichener, Ontario. I was expecting Canada to be the same thing as here, but once I got here I was in for a reaaal culture shock. One of the things I noticed was that in some things, Canada is a little bit behind the US. At least 5-10 years behind. It looks like the US but like back in the 80's, 90's or even 2000's. Sure there are people with smartphones and all that but I mean the infrastructure seemed to be less of and/or more outdated. Like there arent those very big freeways that are very long and high and with 5 lanes like in the major cities of the US. The bathrooms seem to be older, since they have weaker plumbing, lots of things too...Also, in Kichener, Ontario I didn't have any cash with me, just a debit card (big mistake, read on).

The problem began since the beginning since as I said, there was NO place in sight that accepted debit cards and every place wanted only cash. It was a nightmare trying to pay for things like my food, Taxi and stuff like that, I was so scared and horrified. Yeah I was dumb and ignorant and took for granted what I am used to back home.

but yeah it was an hour or two struggle of me trying to get to pay my taxi and get to Toronto, but yeah I did it.

Another thing I noticed was that the money was very pretty both paper and coin money. I like how it looks. Things in Canada are kinda cheaper but after including that 11% tax, its expensive...Canadians pay a lot in taxes...lots but then again you guys get paid more and your tax returns you guys get paid handsomely. I really liked also how the girls looked, they are very pretty and sexy. They look like California girls but more classy. It seems all of the ladies there in Canada have a fascination for black, especially black jeans. Tight black jeans. Yeah the guys I noticed were very nice and friendly, I had some talk to me randomly both gay and straight. They are very polite too. I don't know why they did but its nice. The girls were mean though. Pretty unapproachable , they have too much confidence haha and they think you want to get with them even when you just talk to them. Yeah I think it must be the Anglo-Saxon legacy of North America. Latin American , Asian African and Eastern European are more approachable. A good place to find a man if you're a young lady or if you're homosexual male. Not so much if you are a heterosexual male.

I did like the layout and the look of the city of Toronto was very nice, especially around downtown. The nice modern buildings and stuff and the view from the CN Tower. Usually in the US the buildings are old and run down with a few exceptions, in Canada it looks like the other way around. Well this is it and wanted to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 07:07 PM

11 posts, read 11,145 times
Canada takes debit cards. What? I never pay with cash.

What do you mean "15 years behind the times"? That's ridiculous. We're maybe 2-4 years behind the times (USA) on certain things not nearly 20.

I know people will disagree with me saying this but I don't think Canada is really all that similar to the U.S. We share a generic North American culture on SOME things but we're also very different. Somehow people assume we're "exactly the same"

Old 06-13-2015, 07:50 PM

82 posts, read 98,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
One of the things I noticed was that in some things, Canada is a little bit behind the US. At least 5-10 years behind. It looks like the US but like back in the 80's, 90's or even 2000's. Sure there are people with smartphones and all that but I mean the infrastructure seemed to be less of and/or more outdated. Like there arent those very big freeways that are very long and high and with 5 lanes like in the major cities of the US.
Office of International Programs - Policy | Federal Highway Administration

"The key high-volume highways in Ontario are the 400-series highways in the southern part of the province. The most important of these is the 401, the busiest highway in North America, with average annual daily traffic (AADT) of more than 425,000 vehicles in 2004, and daily traffic sometimes exceeding 500,000 vehicles. In much of the Toronto area, the 401 has six lanes in each direction, but some segments have seven, eight, and even nine lanes in each direction."

Old 06-13-2015, 08:26 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Just a few days ago I went to Chicago to visit a friend, and well after being there, I wanted to go to Toronto too since it's not very far from there and I was like what the heck I'll go.

After I left Chicago, my friend dropped me off at o' hare international airport and very shortly boarded the plane to Kichener, Ontario. I was expecting Canada to be the same thing as here, but once I got here I was in for a reaaal culture shock. One of the things I noticed was that in some things, Canada is a little bit behind the US. At least 5-10 years behind. It looks like the US but like back in the 80's, 90's or even 2000's. Sure there are people with smartphones and all that but I mean the infrastructure seemed to be less of and/or more outdated. Like there arent those very big freeways that are very long and high and with 5 lanes like in the major cities of the US. The bathrooms seem to be older, since they have weaker plumbing, lots of things too...Also, in Kichener, Ontario I didn't have any cash with me, just a debit card (big mistake, read on).

The problem began since the beginning since as I said, there was NO place in sight that accepted debit cards and every place wanted only cash. It was a nightmare trying to pay for things like my food, Taxi and stuff like that, I was so scared and horrified. Yeah I was dumb and ignorant and took for granted what I am used to back home.

but yeah it was an hour or two struggle of me trying to get to pay my taxi and get to Toronto, but yeah I did it.

Another thing I noticed was that the money was very pretty both paper and coin money. I like how it looks. Things in Canada are kinda cheaper but after including that 11% tax, its expensive...Canadians pay a lot in taxes...lots but then again you guys get paid more and your tax returns you guys get paid handsomely. I really liked also how the girls looked, they are very pretty and sexy. They look like California girls but more classy. It seems all of the ladies there in Canada have a fascination for black, especially black jeans. Tight black jeans. Yeah the guys I noticed were very nice and friendly, I had some talk to me randomly both gay and straight. They are very polite too. I don't know why they did but its nice. The girls were mean though. Pretty unapproachable , they have too much confidence haha and they think you want to get with them even when you just talk to them. Yeah I think it must be the Anglo-Saxon legacy of North America. Latin American , Asian African and Eastern European are more approachable. A good place to find a man if you're a young lady or if you're homosexual male. Not so much if you are a heterosexual male.

I did like the layout and the look of the city of Toronto was very nice, especially around downtown. The nice modern buildings and stuff and the view from the CN Tower. Usually in the US the buildings are old and run down with a few exceptions, in Canada it looks like the other way around. Well this is it and wanted to share.
You mentioned two things that are oxymoronic in comparison nature; those being the debit cards and polymer notes both of which are light years ahead of America or many other countries for that matter.

Paper currency went the way of the dodo some time ago for more advanced countries and our debit and credit cards up here have been using imbedded chip security along with RF "wave/tap" for years now while the U.S is still predominantly lurching along with the magnetic strip tech out of the 80's.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:29 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
The whole debit card thing seems weird. Pretty much everywhere accepts debit and its been like that for a long time now, I don't know why Kitchener would be the exception.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:30 PM

800 posts, read 730,253 times
Lol @ the girls. Yeah man I just came back from Boston. Hit on multiple times throughout the day. It's like their nature to show you signs when they like you. I really think American girls are just more extroverted. And Canadian girls are more introverted.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
Lol @ the girls. Yeah man I just came back from Boston. Hit on multiple times throughout the day. It's like their nature to show you signs when they like you. I really think American girls are just more extroverted. And Canadian girls are more introverted.

Lol yep, it could be. They are reserved and complicated...don't really say how they feel or anything and I guess you need to know them through a friend or relative or something like that. Yeah some Aussie and British guys said that too...that they are also much harder than the ones in their home country. An Australian guy said that you can pick up a girl just like that.

Also, wow then why was it that EVERYWHERE I was in Kichener nobody accepted debit??? I noticed they did in Toronto though.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:09 PM

Oh yeah again, you guys have a beautiful city and a beautiful country. It exceeded my expectations. I would go there again and/or stay longer if I could. The weather was also very pleasant. I was there like yesterday and the day before.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:12 PM

I was expecting it to be hot and humid like Chicago but nope. It was just right.!!! Temperate and pleasant weather.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:25 PM

800 posts, read 730,253 times
Quote:
Lol yep, it could be. They are reserved and complicated...don't really say how they feel or anything and I guess you need to know them through a friend or relative or something like that. Yeah some Aussie and British guys said that too...that they are also much harder than the ones in their home country. An Australian guy said that you can pick up a girl just like that.

Also, wow then why was it that EVERYWHERE I was in Kichener nobody accepted debit??? I noticed they did in Toronto though.
I don't live in kitchener. I know Toronto doesn't have that problem. Girls are different here man. It's annoying but just don't try to talk to them. Unless you are in an atmosphere like a bar or a club. But even then. Unless u are a looker. Most of the time they don't even want to talk to you. If you are good at the cold approach in toronto. You are pretty much a god in america. Lol jk

Last edited by Karassmatic; 06-13-2015 at 09:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto